• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring class action lawsuit

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
So you're saying that everyone on this board would argue only for his own individual self-interest, and not out of any concern for what is the right thing to do?

I never made that assumption. I assume that some people may think that it's right for Acura to pay for the repairs even though their cars are not in the snap ring range, just because they think it's right. And that some other people may think that it's right for the owners to pay for the repairs even though their cars are in the snap ring range - again, just because they think it's right. I'm not saying that EVERYONE is deciding based solely on what's right, regardless of self-interest, but that SOME people are.

Am I foolish for believing this?

Not in my case. I don't own a car affected by this problem and have not stated an opinion about the lawsuit. I firmly believe that the problem was not handled correctly by Acura going back to the very beginning - ie: the earliest reported failures of snap rings. The TSB even documents repair procedures for transmissions that were in the affected range but had not (yet) had the failure. How many owners (who were not getting short gears or any other discretionary work) had this repair done by Acura? I've not heard of any that I can recall. I'm deeply bothered by the fact that not everyone got the same treatment and those who got the problem resolved were those who had some special relationship with an Acura dealer. Seems somewhat discriminatory to me.
Bottom line: Acura should have fixed them all because it was (is) the right thing to do. There, that clear enough?
smile.gif

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 03 August 2001).]

how about a poll lud?

If someone does a poll, keep in mind that there are really a variety of opinions on this issue, it's not simply a "yes/no". For example, here are some different responses possible:

a) The owners should pay for the repairs after the warranty expires, end of story.

b) The owners are responsible for the repairs, but it would be nice if Acura paid for them anyway, at least partially.

c) The owners are responsible for the repairs, but it would be nice if Acura paid for them anyway, at least partially.

d) Acura is responsible for the repairs and should pay for them, but only when they break.

e) Acura is responsible for the repairs and should also preventively replace cases on all cars in the range.

Furthermore, there is an entirely separate issue, regarding consistency of treatment, and you could have a separate question on that, with opinions like:

1) All customers should be treated equally, even if it means that everyone receives the lowest benefit possible.

2) All customers should be treated equally but only if it means that everyone receives the highest benefit possible.

3) Customers should do their homework and with better knowledge should be able to achieve a higher benefit. Those who don't, deserve a lower benefit.

4) Customers should share information with each other on the Internet to achieve a higher benefit. Those who don't, aren't here in this discussion anyway.
biggrin.gif

And, of course, on the "do you have a snap ring car", there are variations like

- yes
- no
- I had one and sold it
- I passed on one when shopping

etc.

I'd ballpark the cost to Honda to have replaced every tranny in range back when this was first discovered at around $15M. That really does not seem like a lot of money for a company like Honda to spend to avoid an ongoing blotch on their "image" sports car.

Thought for practical reasons (i.e. it's probably hard to come up with 2400 NSX transmissions all at once), perhaps a lack of knowing how many in the range were likely to ever fail, and to avoid the publicity involved in a recall for a major transmission issue when they were trying to show how Honda was able to produce a car with all the performance but none of the reliability issues, I can see why they would choose to replace them as they failed. And hey, back in 1993 not many people were sharing information on things like this using the Internet....

Unfortunately I've been told that there was a change in management not too long ago which resulted in the goodwill on this issue (and others) being cut way back. That seems like a pretty short-sighted approach.

Interesting note regarding "goodwill":

Several years back there was a tech bulletin issued (not recall) for the Legend concerning the top of the radiator cracking. It was made of plastic. I contacted Honda through the 800 number requesting this be repaired as a goodwill effort. The representative reviewed my records and responded that they were not going to fix the radiator due to the fact I had not spent enough money on service. WHAT! I responded by saying first, the car does nor require service; it's a Honda. Secondly, I told them I do all my own minor service such as oil and brakes. They get there money out of me every time I buy a new car...that's it.

I then contacted the District Service Rep who happens to be an old friend of mine. He authorized the repair.

My point here is there is a fine line between who you are, how much you have supported Honda and your relationship with the dealer. Is this right, likely not, but as many of you are aware, this is how big business is run...politics play a key role.

Unfortunate but true!

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
Interesting note regarding "goodwill":

Several years back there was a tech bulletin issued (not recall) for the Legend concerning the top of the radiator cracking. It was made of plastic. I contacted Honda through the 800 number requesting this be repaired as a goodwill effort. The representative reviewed my records and responded that they were not going to fix the radiator due to the fact I had not spent enough money on service. WHAT! I responded by saying first, the car does nor require service; it's a Honda. Secondly, I told them I do all my own minor service such as oil and brakes. They get there money out of me every time I buy a new car...that's it.

I then contacted the District Service Rep who happens to be an old friend of mine. He authorized the repair.

My point here is there is a fine line between who you are, how much you have supported Honda and your relationship with the dealer. Is this right, likely not, but as many of you are aware, this is how big business is run...politics play a key role.

Unfortunate but true!

You are right! It is who you are, how much you support Honda and what your dealer thinks of you that count for a lot in these matters. Sometimes Honda helps you out and sometimes it is the dealer who helps you out.
ANd with a change in management maybe noone will help you out. Taking my second-hand NSX to Acura for service has been good for them and for me.
My BMW dealer said if I had bought my BMW from them they would have paid for an expensive, out of warranty repair I needed.
I had to phone BMW and plead for mercy.

Back