• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So is the NSX a mechanic friendly car to own?

I ask because I'm on the verge of purchasing a '91 NSX this weekend. I've owned plenty of performance cars for my age(23) all of which have had engine swaps, turbo's, suspensions, etc installed by myself. I'd just like to know if the NSX is gonna be one of those "must take to a dealership for repairs" type of vehicles or not. Thanks guys and love the forum!

Nihilation said:
I ask because I'm on the verge of purchasing a '91 NSX this weekend. I've owned plenty of performance cars for my age(23) all of which have had engine swaps, turbo's, suspensions, etc installed by myself. I'd just like to know if the NSX is gonna be one of those "must take to a dealership for repairs" type of vehicles or not. Thanks guys and love the forum!
The answer to your question is in the Search function.

The short answer is YES, it is very mechanically friendly. Check specifically into snap ring and window regulators on a '91 (maybe clutch too since it may have a lot of miles on it). Do a search, there is SO much information here on the reliability of the NSX.

It all depends on the type of sports cars you have worked on in the past, but compared to other sports cars I have owned and/or worked on, the NSX is a very well thought out sports car that is nice to work on. If you've ever worked on a 300ZX twin turbo, a 3rd Gen RX7, or a MK IV Supra Turbo, you will find the NSX to be a breeze to work on, upgrade, and maintain.

The only big difference for me was getting used to the mid-engine layout. If your going to work on the engine you have to get a good fender cover to protect the panels and paint. The OEM NSX Fender cover runs around $150 new and covers up everything. If you get the cheap ones, you will have to buy several of them to cover up the same areas that the one OEM cover does.

And like the others have said, you can look at the FAQ sections and search Prime for a boatload of how-to threads.

My car is friendly to my mechanic.:biggrin: :biggrin:
But they don't see each other, except for checkups.

dnicho05 said:
If you've ever worked on a 300ZX twin turbo, a 3rd Gen RX7, or a MK IV Supra Turbo, you will find the NSX to be a breeze to work on, upgrade, and maintain.

Yea my last car was a Z32, had a few Mustangs and a turbo Integra.

Search button- got it. Actually I think I'm starting to wear it out, haha.:biggrin:

The NSX is a purpose built car. Meaning it is not a “standard/common” chassis that had various engine, trans and suspension packages bolted in with many times less than friendly mechanical access. The NSX is extremely well designed and thought out in almost every sense and is every mechanic friendly. In a past life I owned a BMW specialty repair shop and personally owned over 100 BMW’s. With the exception of the 1600/2002 model none of them even come close to the NSX in being mechanic friendly.

Back