• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So what's with the product spam?

I'm fairly used to spam, but I just I never thought a fellow NSX Prime member would harvest email addresses in order to pitch a product.

frown.gif

I guess I'll have to revise my profile.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 27 January 2003).]

I'd rather not mention the sender if I don't have to.

Perhaps he would like to apologize, retract or rethink his approach.

Suffice it to say that it's for a new "air control" type of product.

-Jim

PS: Even if I were interested in the product, I'd never buy it now.

I'll mention it - Gomaidy
I got one too - not only did he SPAM me, but also copied to a number of other members whose e-mail addresses are all listed on the one I received: didn't even have the courtesy to blind copy individually, even if it was intended as a "heads-up" (as which I don't take it at all!)
Pretty pathetic abuse of this medium - he already has his product listed in the vendor forum, this is uncalled for.
The reply I got from my direct complaint actually said "The reason I emailed you in the first place is because it is NSX related and I got your email from NSXprime."

The (almost) humorous part was the additional footnote which was an "invitation" to join a particular ISP to prevent & limit unsolicted SPAM - now that's ironic - using SPAM to tell you how to eliminate SPAM????

steamed.gif

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 28 January 2003).]

i haven't got anything either... yet.
But the idea of getting spam does not impress me.
frown.gif

...so now what, do we all have to remove our email from our profiles? >
frown.gif

I did not want to do this but I just changed my profile so that my email is not visible to members. My email space is very important to me and I don't want to receive any more junk mail than I do on a daily basis.

Ryan

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Before we lynch Gomaidy, let's be absolutely sure that he is the offending party. Email addresses can be faked, so let's rule out that possibility before condeming him.

Now, if he is indeed guilty, I would think the NSX Prime administrator will take any necessary disciplinary action. Part of the user agreement of this site states that:

CLASSIFIED ADS (FOR SALE & WANTED) are allowed ONLY in the designated message forums.

This act definitely sounds like a violation of the terms of service.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident, and people will continue using common sense regarding appropriate use of forum members' contact information. I'd rather keep this an open and friendly place for NSXers to hang out, than hiding our identities and holding back.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 28 January 2003).]

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Before we lynch Gomaidy, let's be absolutely sure that he is the offending party. Email addresses can be faked, so let's rule out that possibility before condeming him.

There is no doubt - it is related to his own ad already listed on the vendor support forum & he replied to me when I contacted him (see my post above where he acknowledges he got the contacts directly from NSXPrime!!!!!!)

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 28 January 2003).]

This is an apology to everybody I emailed, sorry for bothering you. I get a lot of group emails (
spam.gif
) from NSXprime members/businesses myself and I thought it was normal.

This is the first time I used group email and it wont happen again.

[This message has been edited by gomaidy (edited 28 January 2003).]

I have never received spam from NSX Prime members until now. It is not normal.

You should have let your original apology suffice. Trying to make it seem like it's commonplace just doesn't cut it.

frown.gif

-Jim

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I have never received spam from NSX Prime members until now. It is not normal.

You should have let your original apology suffice. Trying to make it seem like it's commonplace just doesn't cut it.

frown.gif

-Jim

I also have never received any spam related to Prime.
John

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I also have never received any spam related to Prime.
John
I don't know if it is considered spam or not,I have received ads from vendors that support prime and post to prime. Mostly after I have asked tech. questions about types of brakes to use. Wheels that I am interested in. ect. ect. Each time the vendor has let me know that they carry them and the prices the could give me. Maybe that is what he was saying when he said he thought it was ordinary. He has apologized and said it won't happen again. No need to beat him any further. :^)

Originally posted by len3.8:
...I don't know if it is considered spam or not,I have received ads from vendors that support prime and post to prime. Mostly after I have asked tech. questions about types of brakes to use. Wheels that I am interested in. ect. ect. ...

If you are asking for information, I would not consider responses to that to be SPAM, even if you receive a direct response by e-mail - I would consider that a helpful answer to your solicitation (Qualification: I presume that the reply then came directly to you & you alone)
Contrary, in a situation where an unsolicited MASS-mailing is distributed to parties whom the vendor merely perceives might be interested in his product, with no request of any description to request it, then I would most certainly consider that to be SPAM.
Quite different circumstances in my book.

I am curious in your quantification of "mostly", Len - have you ever received a solicitous e-mail from a 'Prime vendor that was not related to a direct question you had posted?

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
If you are asking for information, I would not consider responses to that to be SPAM, even if you receive a direct response by e-mail - I would consider that a helpful answer to your solicitation (Qualification: I presume that the reply then came directly to you & you alone)
Contrary, in a situation where an unsolicited MASS-mailing is distributed to parties whom the vendor merely perceives might be interested in his product, with no request of any description to request it, then I would most certainly consider that to be SPAM.
Quite different circumstances in my book.

I am curious in your quantification of "mostly", Len - have you ever received a solicitous e-mail from a 'Prime vendor that was not related to a direct question you had posted?

The responses to me were not answers to my questions, more like Advertisements on the products that they were selling. Which may or may not have been related to my post. Which, truly didn't/doesn't bother me since I am still relatively new to the list. Don't be curious, I stated it correctly. When I first posted that I got the car back in July, I received private emails. I am not making an issue, I just gave a point of view.
I have never been solicited by anyone, Gomaidy included within a mass emailing. In case any of those vendors are reading, I don't mind the posts that keep me informed on the products that answer my needs. Was Gomaidy doing it day after day? If so I would say something as well. If it's a general rule no to do it. I would say something as well. If he maid a mistake in judgment, as he has appeared to have done, based on the responses posted I think he knows that now. That is why he admitted his mistake(s)and apologized. I think a lot of the vendors/sellers read posts and see that someone is interested in a class of item, or questioning about an item, so they decide to private that person about what they have to offer. Example asking others how they feel about big reds, the getting 2 to 3 emails about big brake kits that are offered. I don't consider that spam. I did not ask for that info but it was sent to me by getting my email from my post. Would you consider that spam? Again if it happned all the time I can see why someone would get upset.
JAO
Len

One thing seems pretty certain, Gomaidy is very unlikely to do it again!!!

Let's drop it and talk about NSX's again!

Originally posted by len3.8:
.. Don't be curious, I stated it correctly. ....

Curious - a neutral term, basically connotes an active desire to learn or to know (Merriam-Webster)

My curiousity was as defined - just wanted you to expand on the word "mostly" (which I believe you did in your response)

Note: This is not to further "bash" Gomaidy (his apology is observed) - just a continuation of the debate on what constitutes SPAM
Any unsolicited mail is by popular definition is SPAM. On a board such as this, we obviously make our addresses available for the direct exchange of information, or we would keep them private - I personally intend to keep mine public, as I generally wish to retain the privelege of having fellow members be able to contact me.

If I had received a private e-mail from a member, vendor or otherwise, addressed solely to me I would probably not have considered it SPAM & replied with the appropriate courteous response. When I get an e-mail with 18 adresses of fellow members in the "to" column, when I had ZERO tangible declared interest in the product (not even a "that looks nice" post to a picture") then that is what is objectionable. It is not merely the advertising of the product, but broadcasting my address to all else included in the distribution.

Originally posted by Paul65K:
One thing seems pretty certain, Gomaidy is very unlikely to do it again!!!

Let's drop it and talk about NSX's again!

Paul, Quite right. I am on my way to Daytona.
Hoping that a NSX will be running this year. If so I will take lots of pics.
Sorry about waisting bandwidth earlier.
Len

Back