• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sold my 2004 NSX for $63k: Terrible resale value

Sold my car today for $63,000. Car had 7k miles in mint condition.

Car lost over $25k in only 12 months. :eek:

My NSX was severely disappointing from a performance standpoint, now also from a poor resale value perspective. :frown:

This is further proof that the true MSRP (value) of a new NSX should be $70,000 versus the ridiculous current MSRP of $89,000.

CerberusM5 said:

My NSX was severely disappointing from a performance standpoint, now also from a poor resale value perspective. :frown:

This is further proof that the true MSRP (value) of a new NSX should be $70,000 versus the ridiculous current MSRP of $89,000.

Did you sell it to the dealer or private? That is indeed painful on your wallet :frown:

You paid 88k for it new then? Or did you include the tax you paid? Depreciation on any car is high in its first year. I think you also sold it way too cheap for a 04.

Wow...excellent price. If I didn't own one, then I would have paid 63K for your car.

Not sure where you advertise your car for sale, but I hope it's not just nsxprime. For the price advertised, it usually takes more than 1 month to sell. Did you post it on craiglist? ebay? autotrader?, etc?

I knew it was only a matter of time before you sold your car as from your posts you would refer to your car as "slug".

I'm sorry for your financial lost ,but curious as to why you bought it.

I didn't buy it for performance. I know that sounds strange, but everyone who knows about this car knows that it's not a frontline performer anymore. Knowing that upfront I have to say this car has really suprised me! The fuel economy is great ,better than my S2K or our M3. The insurance is dirt cheap for what it is ( aluminum mid engine exotic ). Plus it's a blast to drive at the track ,but comfortable on the street. I haven't had any problems and most people don't. It's a balance car and I found that that's it secret and really love it for that.

All that said I loved the look of your car and those wheels were very nice. What wheels are those?

Sandy,

I have no doubt you could have done much better if you put it on ebay or autotrader. Besides, you didn't really pay 89K for it did you? :confused:

I too appreciate the car for the time and engineering put into it to achieve its looks and balance. I could care less about the hp

damn 63k someone got a nice deal. Most dealers offer nice discounts for the car new though. I find it hard to believe you paid sticker.

That's 30% depreciation in the first year, if you consider MSRP. Closer to 20% if you consider the real selling price of most of them. This is a little high, but not obscenely so. You generally see 15% depreciation the instant you drive off the dealer's lot. That's just the way car values work. That's also why I don't buy new cars. It's just such a huge waste of money for little more than the knowledge that I'm the first person to fart on the leather.

cerebus i think you sold your car to cheap. especially now that acura has announced the nsx is all done. yes, honda has said something new will be coming in years but whatever it will be is not going to be hand built and will probably be a much higher produced vehicle. i think acura releasing this info will actually help resale on the existing nsx's. i am sorry to say it but you should have leased it from the get go any way.

The real funny part of this post is I would've (and tried to) offer $66,000 2 weeks ago for this car, Sandy's reply to me was:

Mark,

I am firm at the $69,900. Thanks for the inquiry.

Sandy

????????Looks like we both lost out

Hey guys,

The actual purchase price was actually closer to $81k.

It was an impulsive sale since I had its replacement lined up. Now it appears I have a little more time and the sale may have been a little rash.

I was just venting my depreciation induced frustration. I've gone through this many times, but it hurts every time. :redface:

Last edited:
nsxautomatic said:
The real funny part of this post is I would've (and tried to) offer $66,000 2 weeks ago for this car, Sandy's reply to me was:

Mark,

I am firm at the $69,900. Thanks for the inquiry.

Sandy

????????Looks like we both lost out

Sorry Mark. It was just an impulsive misjudgment on my part.

WingZ said:
I knew it was only a matter of time before you sold your car as from your posts you would refer to your car as "slug".

I'm sorry for your financial lost ,but curious as to why you bought it.

I didn't buy it for performance. I know that sounds strange, but everyone who knows about this car knows that it's not a frontline performer anymore. Knowing that upfront I have to say this car has really suprised me! The fuel economy is great ,better than my S2K or our M3. The insurance is dirt cheap for what it is ( aluminum mid engine exotic ). Plus it's a blast to drive at the track ,but comfortable on the street. I haven't had any problems and most people don't. It's a balance car and I found that that's it secret and really love it for that.

All that said I loved the look of your car and those wheels were very nice. What wheels are those?

Could've said it better myself, just to add little, I own a 94 and the engine has less HP then your 2004. And I can not say enough good thing about the car, just drove to the FL, Keys. and back 430 miles one way (a tank and half). It was hot the heat index in the 110 degree range. The A/C work great no problems with the car got compliments every time I stop. You should have consisted a SC. Your not going to find a better all round sport car then NSX for less than 100 grand and than wait to you have paid for maintain. Good luck on your search.

CerberusM5 said:

Did you only drive it out to the roll ons?

Awww come on Sandy what wheels are those?

inaccurate title...

If it was an impulsive sale @ the selling price of $63k, then this isn't a fair or accurate title for the thread ("Terrible resale value").

You, of your own volition (admittingly), chose to sell the NSX at a price that is well below it's market value. Dealer trade-in would even have given a higher return than what was accepted by you!

Anyways, goodluck w/ your new acquisition(s).

You got jacked.

I drove my 00 down from NYC and the grin is a mile wide. What cars are out there that have the type of road feel and performance of this one?? This car is a cut under what you get from a Ferrari in terms of sheer joy to drive. A 911 on a road trip? Whatever. Not inspiring, really. Got friends and family w/ 911s. Great cars, certainly the new 997S is faster in a straight line, but so what?

With all these mega-hp cars coming out, like the C6 and whatnot, I just wonder where these people are actually getting to USE this acceleration. My high-speed driving is on safe interstates which can support high speeds. I hit 110 or 120 on the E st onramp the other day onto 66 in DC and ended up w/ unrecoverable oversteer due to the goddamned HUGE expansion "joints" (one is a large hump that may have caused airdam scrape if taken at speed STRAIGHT). I mean, OK, cornering...cool. Yeah, whatever, within limits until the shitty roads jump up and bite you. I can't take these curves at the NSX's limits, much less an even higher performance car.

There's nowhere to USE more than even 200hp, much less 290 or 600 or something. Stoplight racing is DANGEROUS and reckless. That leaves open high-speed interstate cruising with the top off in the sun and there ain't a freakin car south of a Ferrari spyder which can match this whip.

If I decide I need more hp, I'll get a SC. As things stand, this car ALREADY has more than enough power to get me killed.

liftshard said:
You got jacked.

I drove my 00 down from NYC and the grin is a mile wide. What cars are out there that have the type of road feel and performance of this one?? This car is a cut under what you get from a Ferrari in terms of sheer joy to drive. A 911 on a road trip? Whatever. Not inspiring, really. Got friends and family w/ 911s. Great cars, certainly the new 997S is faster in a straight line, but so what?

With all these mega-hp cars coming out, like the C6 and whatnot, I just wonder where these people are actually getting to USE this acceleration. My high-speed driving is on safe interstates which can support high speeds. I hit 110 or 120 on the E st onramp the other day onto 66 in DC and ended up w/ unrecoverable oversteer due to the goddamned HUGE expansion "joints" (one is a large hump that may have caused airdam scrape if taken at speed STRAIGHT). I mean, OK, cornering...cool. Yeah, whatever, within limits until the shitty roads jump up and bite you. I can't take these curves at the NSX's limits, much less an even higher performance car.

There's nowhere to USE more than even 200hp, much less 290 or 600 or something. Stoplight racing is DANGEROUS and reckless. That leaves open high-speed interstate cruising with the top off in the sun and there ain't a freakin car south of a Ferrari spyder which can match this whip.

If I decide I need more hp, I'll get a SC. As things stand, this car ALREADY has more than enough power to get me killed.
Amen to that brother!

NSXCELERATE said:
I too appreciate the car for the time and engineering put into it to achieve its looks and balance. I could care less about the hp

Agree!!! But my '05 will be even better with CT i/sc/h/e... :D BTW, I only paid around $80k for mine new...

I knew about your car and you told me close to 70k, Im not one to lowball, but i would have taken it off your hands for even more than 63, Had I known.

In any case, that does suck for you but someone is very happy right now. I know its been for sale for a while, but I think you easily could have held out for more.

Back