• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sold my NSX, bought a Viper GTS and now I regret it...

For the past three/five years I had been lusting over owning an NSX. My intentions were to buy a stock 91-94 and do some simple bolt on mods. Last year I found a deal that was to good to pass up on a highly modded one. I bought the car and put myabe 6,000 miles on it and then sold it. By nature, this is how I have always been with my "toy" cars. I usually only keep them one year, enjoy them in the summer and then move onto something new. I sold my NSX in November and bought a Viper GTS in January. This is where the regret kicks in.

I bought the Viper on kind of an impulse feeling. I always liked the way they looked and always wondered what 500 ft/lbs would feel like. Whenever I bought the Viper it was about 20 degrees outside so I only drove it around the block like a granny before I purchased it. It looked awesome and seemed to be fun to drive in that brief 20 minute test drive. About two weeks ago we had a few nice days that were in the 70s, so I took the Viper out for its first spin. I was not to thrilled with the overall experience. The steering/handling characters just felt really bland to me. The engine/exhaust noise sounds plain "has a B&B exhaust." The interior is extremely simple and the seating position leaves a lot to be desired.

Now I knew that the car was very raw and un refined going into the purchase. That is what I thought would make the car fun to drive. I read how people say that the Viper is a very capable car if you know how to drive it, which I do believe. However, its justs feels like a really fast dodge. Now, there are some good things about the car. I love the exterior appearance and it gets attention like no other. For me though, its not enough to give it that special feeling.

After driving both cars I now know why everyone raves about the NSX. In comparison the seating position, engine noise, handling/steering, build quality etc is in my mind superior. The only exciting thing for the Viper IMO is the power. Which is wasted where I live anyways because the area is far from flat and straight.

Anyways, I just needed to vent and share my un biased experience thus far. I'm contemplating selling the viper already and buying a 2002+ NSX. However, by the time I sell the Viper and find perfect 02+ NSX I fear that summer would already be over. I have posted links below to some pics of my Viper and my old NSX just in case anyone was curious.

Pics of my viper...
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=14232384&uid=3388150&members=1

Pics of what use to be my NSX...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73276&highlight=gruppem

I thought about picking up a GTS too but after looking at them I was unimpressed. They look great but have the quality feel of a Neon.

Thanks for sharing. helps me not regret getting one.

Sorry to hear about your regret. You should be able to sell the Viper if you are willing to be competitive on price.

The NSX is a very unique machine with an overall experience that far outweighs any perception of a lack of power. I drive an old one by choice over cars that cost 3x the price.

Wow, your NSX was choice. That's sad. :frown: I don't buy things to get rid of them. I wait and buy something that I really really really want. Wait till it's in my price range, then take really great care of it. If I ever DO sell it down the road, I usually make a little or lose very little. And that's after owning it for years and years.

You should be able to buy that car back. It is on e-bay about once a week.:smile:

For those of us still in the market, it is good to hear all these views.

First off...I just loved your NSX...and secondly...like msot North American cars, the Viper has elements that make it come across as plain - namely, the interior. I posted a thread and had people argue about the interior of the car...the fact remains - the NSX is a super looking car that is beautiful inside and out! If I were you...I would sell the Viper and buy another NSX - or even look at a Ferrari 355 - seeing that you payed big bucks for the Viper! The 355 is awesome - and it has few flaws - unlike most Ferraris.

Dam:cool:

It's better you sell the viper ASAP and hopefully you'll be back in a NSX soon!!:smile: Theres a 02 silver NSX in colorado with a supercharger for sale.

I still want a Viper GTS some day, even with all it's faults. But that will be in addition to the NSX, not to replace it.
Don't tell my wife this!:biggrin:

The Viper I purchased is just about as new as I could find for a nine year old car. I bought it from the original owner and it only had 6,000 miles on it. The guy gave me the window sticker, all service records, registration cards etc. Being that spring is here, I shouldn't have a hard time selling it. Its just that I believe I will have a hard time finding the perfect 02+ NSX. Here in Pittsburgh, PA we literally only experience three-four nice months out of the whole year. I would hate to waste a month selling the Viper then possibly the rest of the summer trying to find the NSX. Then only to find it and have to store it another six-seven months for winter.

I have been considering a F355 for awhile and would love to own one. However for a mint, low mileage, up to date F355 it would set me back around 75,000-80,000 with taxes. That would unfortunately be just out of my price range right now :(

The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that I have never driven a stock NSX. My supercharged 92 was making approximately 375whp. I am wondering if I would be disappointed in terms of stock acceleration. I know that I would love the six speed and targa though. How does the electric power steering feel compared to the non power steering of the 91-94? Does it still give the same great road feel and feedback?

I know that steering question will bring everyone out of the woodwork now... I have driven them back to back... and I gotta tell you, its really close in terms of feel. Supposedly the power steering only assists under 20 MPH and after that you are pretty much in manual mode. Still, the manual steering may have just an ounce more precision in it... but its very very very close. Close enough that a different set of tires may make more of a difference.

My NSX is now supercharged, but I have to tell you the stock was by no means slow to me. This is a WHOLE LOT faster, but the NA engine FELT fast even if it wasn't tremendously fast. The close ratios of the 6 speed was a huge factor there, you were always in the power band and the sound and view made it feel like a fast car. But I am not that much into straight line stuff anyway. You are coming off a Viper, my suggestion is find a prime member in the area and drive an NA.

Top off the car, is great fun when the weather is nice.

The car has all the basic goods. If you really need more power, there are cures for that. You can add power to an NSX, you can't refine a Viper.

Is that your red 3000gt in those pics with Viper? I have always loved the first gen gt's with the euro spec bumpers. That's a really nice Viper, but man what were you thinking selling that beautiful black NSX?

I can't believe you traded in a supermodel(NSX) for a stripper(Viper)...:confused:

sure it looks good, is fast and is good at one thing, but like a stripper, you don't really want one for a wife(keeper):biggrin:

get your supermodel back!!!

good luck!!!

If you think about it, this is an extension of the "NSX is just a Honda" discussion, where other car owners just don't see what's so special about the NSX. For you Feelgood, having owned the NSX, the bar is set pretty darned high for any future vehicle purchase. How many times have you heard that the Z06 is faster, or the M3 is better rounded, or the Viper has more torque and will walk away from any NSX? Any of these arguments may be true, but as an NSX owner, I don't even listen to them. It's not difficult to quantify the superior aspects of the NSX, but it is difficult to convince anyone else of it. Now B Feelgood is in a position where, having driven the best, he's stuck with the rest...

Good luck getting another NSX, I hope you are back into one soon.

I have to say you car was a beauty man and you had a lot of nice goodies on it. I would have bought that car if it was for sale when I was looking.
Hope to see you back soon.

wow i admired your nsx before i bought mine. that must hurt to sell that beauty for a viper. was the viper that much faster than your boosted nsx to warrant such a down grade in everything else?

i really hope you can buy your old car back. that car was perfect.

Hearing all these positive comments really makes me miss the modded NSX I had :frown:

The VR4 is mine also. The 3000GT VR4 was my first car that I was really passionate about. I have owned 11 of them including three Spyder VR4s over the last six years. It may not be the most nimble or fastest car ever but I have always loved the ahead of its time styling.

There is no denying that the Viper is a crazy fast car. Down low it crushes the feeling of being in a boosted NSX. If you punch it in any RPM in first gear the tires fight for traction. Up high where the Viper loses its torque, they are pretty comparable in terms of acceleration.

The reason I bought the Viper was because I wanted to try something different than what I am use to. I have been into imports since I started driving seven years ago. The big American muscle Viper defines different when compared to import. However, I have realized it is just not for me. Now I do not have to wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side :wink:

I test drove a 94 viper with 400ftlbs of torque and didn't like it. it was just very raw and unrefined as you stated earlier. like a big go cart with alot of torque steer...very bad experience indeed. i really liked your nsx and actually considered buying it when i was in the market.

Hearing all these positive comments really makes me miss the modded NSX I had :frown:

The VR4 is mine also. The 3000GT VR4 was my first car that I was really passionate about. I have owned 11 of them including three Spyder VR4s over the last six years. It may not be the most nimble or fastest car ever but I have always loved the ahead of its time styling.

There is no denying that the Viper is a crazy fast car. Down low it crushes the feeling of being in a boosted NSX. If you punch it in any RPM in first gear the tires fight for traction. Up high where the Viper loses its torque, they are pretty comparable in terms of acceleration.

The reason I bought the Viper was because I wanted to try something different than what I am use to. I have been into imports since I started driving seven years ago. The big American muscle Viper defines different when compared to import. However, I have realized it is just not for me. Now I do not have to wonder if the grass is really greener on the other side :wink:

Great post!! I remember when you were selling that beauty. I would have given my left... to have purchased that car. Damn thing looked like it was sealed in a time capsule.

I also feel the NSX is a little short in the power department. However, I have come to terms that it is the only car in my price range that makes me smile like the first time I drove it. That was 3 years and 30,000 miles ago by the way. Every time I drive it I feel like a Superman. The looks, questions, cell phone pictures are never ending.

I have converted several people that wanted much more expensive cars into NSX ownership, just by taking them for a short drive around town. This car is truly an experience that non-owners cannot comprehend.

You will sell your Viper and you will find another NSX soon. However, I do recommend moving to state with a little more driving time than 3 or 4 months. How do you stare at your car all winter long and know you cannot drive it???? Oh the horror!!!

Sell the Viper get back into it as soon as you can.
I almost did the same thing, looked hard at a 2000 996 with options, but it was so run of the mill. Very happy with the NSX its a drivers car.

Last edited:
Your NSX was so nice. So nice in fact that when I get mine this year I'd like it to have similar wheels and stance.

Jetpilot

If you wanted a change you should have considered a 2002 or later porsche 911 or a lotus elise.Much easier to find than an NSX as not as rare.My last car was a 2002 Porsche 911 which I drove for 4 years.That being said I really enjoy my NSX and do not really miss the Porsche.

I test drove a 94 viper with 400ftlbs of torque and didn't like it. it was just very raw and unrefined as you stated earlier. like a big go cart with alot of torque steer...very bad experience indeed. i really liked your nsx and actually considered buying it when i was in the market.

Are you sure you drove a Viper ? and not a FWD car with a bodykit :biggrin:

It is definitly rough only being able to drive the fun cars for a few months out of the year! Buying/adding mods throughout the winter helps with the downtime though :)

I do like the looks of the Elise but it is just to small. I tried sitting in one at the auto show a few years ago and was way to cramped for comfort and I am only 6'0 180lbs! Plus I wear a size 15 shoe and it was hard to press just the gas pedal without hitting the break at the same time. I have never really been a fan of Porche styling except for one model. Give me a Carrera GT and I will be the posterboy for Porsche ;)

Back