• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Somebody talk me out of it..Porsche Cayman S...

got a blank check auto loan from penfed burning a hole in my pocket...Have $30K to spend on a vehicle of my choice(60 mo. at 1.99%:smile:) ...Looking for my 3rd NSX, I have had a blk/blk 91 and a sebring silver 92, I miss them dearly and have been looking for a white na1 for a while now, but finding one is becoming imposible!!! I will settle for another black or silver, but the market is pretty dry right now and some people are asking crazy $$$ for 20 year old cars...Meanwhile, the closest thing to an NSX is the Porsche cayman and you can find some nice 06-08 examples of them including the Cayman S for $25-35K..Some people have said the Cayman is the best handling Porsche on the road today and seems to be a steal at the $25-35K range...BUT at the end of the day it just doesn't have the same emotion as an NSX....Just kinda getting impatient with finding a white na1.....

here is one on auto trader right now for under $30,000

31322944138.345449443.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

31322944142.345449443.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

31322944139.345449443.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Last edited:
i hear your loud and clear and am in a very similar situation as you. ive test driven caymans but imo the overall driving experience overall falls short of an nsx. interior seems a bit too cramped/cockpit style for me (and by no means am i a tall guy).

ive spent like a week of combined driving in the past month in 911's (turbo and N/A) and upping the budget 7-12 grand may be the route to consider. be careful re potential ims issues (dependent on year/make/model of Porsche) and enjoy!

that cayman is beautiful btw. patience is a virtue.... we hope!

Last edited:
It's an ugly piece of junk that will leave you regretting the NSX every time you drive it. Assuming it starts.

lol.... thanks, finally a voice of reason!!!:tongue:

although the one I posted above had me thinking of one, with the right rims and ride height they look pretty sick...I am not a big Porsche fan, but I've heard so many good things about the cayman S that it has me thinking...

1370530152_zpsad50902f.jpg

I have driven both extensively from the mancave... I can appreciate the Pcars and the German engineering involved with the simplicity, once you actually get your hands dirty. The cayman is a great car but lacks quite a bit in feel. Driving I do feel crammed inside. The sound is great and sounds excellent on a kreisegg exhaust with a few other mods kw suspension, gt3rs throttle body, de snorkeled intake vents, sway bars etc etc. Most say the wheels can make or break a cars appearance which I firmly believe. In stock form hands down the Nsx with the exception of the 91-93 factory wheels. Cockpit feel, hands down the Nsx, connection hands down the Nsx, factory sound hands down cayman. To break it down, save a few more bucks find the right Nsx unless you end up impulse buying off of looks or under a deadline to use the loan AQUIRED. You will then understand that you can make an Nsx look better as well as the Cayman with subtle changes. Prices for modifications to me are about the same with both cars. The cayman actually benefits a little more with subtle engine mods (power) Maintenance is just slightly higher on the cayman through dealers. You see many more caymans than you do the Nsx. This can vary depending on geographical location. When I see a stock cayman I get a laugh because I always come across a crossfire and the little cute wing both share along with styling. Pointless but I didn't design or engineer it. Currently the white cayman pictured has undergone some changes such as techart rear, wing and side additions $$$ gt3rs front bumper update. This is where those wanting a cayman get subdued by a modded car versus what is actually out there for sale ie:current budget.

If you want a cayman s I'd wait till the newer current drop in value like mine lol. Starting price was above 64k. Value now is half of that in the realms of 20yr old Nsx's. Kind of a no brainier but finding that right car.... I'd let that money keep burning your pocket till you find whichever.

An unbiased opinion, stick with the NSX.

thanks synergy..do you have anymore pics to share of that white beauty??? Wow!!! that's the kinda Cayman that has me twisted.....

one thing the NSX really holds over the P-cars is the rarity and it goes hand in hand with resale value....I sold both of my NSX's for more than I paid for them after owning each of them for over two years...It's the one reason my wife doesn't mind me having a 3rd car...they are like driving savings accounts around..you get every penny back:biggrin: I am afraid the cayman won't even come close to that if and when I sale....

Go drive one first instead of listening to all of us. You will know if its for you or not...

I've driven the Cayman S and quite enjoyed it however the 911 is simply the better machine unless you are talking the brand new 2014 Cayman S which is UNREAL! Talk about 911 threat to the marque...

Unfortunately in order to get into the 997 series 911 you would need to budget at least $40k for decent low mileage example like mine (2006 911 Carrera 4). Its worth it over the NSX and don't get me wrong I so love the NSX having owned 3. However, what I don't like about the NSX is the inability to use the rear (aka seats in my 911 for kiddies). This is why I love my 911 and of course the modern features and performance.

If you want exclusivity then the NSX is your vehicle. Go drive an 05-12 911 and Cayman and see what you like...

Good luck.

Go drive one first instead of listening to all of us. You will know if its for you or not...

I've driven the Cayman S and quite enjoyed it however the 911 is simply the better machine unless you are talking the brand new 2014 Cayman S which is UNREAL! Talk about 911 threat to the marque...

Unfortunately in order to get into the 997 series 911 you would need to budget at least $40k for decent low mileage example like mine (2006 911 Carrera 4). Its worth it over the NSX and don't get me wrong I so love the NSX having owned 3. However, what I don't like about the NSX is the inability to use the rear (aka seats in my 911 for kiddies). This is why I love my 911 and of course the modern features and performance.

If you want exclusivity then the NSX is your vehicle. Go drive an 05-12 911 and Cayman and see what you like...

Good luck.

do your kids have legs??? lol J/K....but those back "seats" are pretty tiny......:tongue:

yeah, I plan on test driving one soon...I'll let you know....

well if you own an NSX now drive it to the P dealership test drive the p-car then drive home should give you your answer when you start the NSX up in their lot.

with attendants taking pics of your car and asking you questions about it.

I love the Cayman S.
However
The only issue with the entire car is the seats. At first, I thought they just don't fit me well. Then my wife said the same thing. Then a guy, from our local cars and coffee, who owns a Cayman said it is a 2 - 3 hour drive at the most before his back hurts.
There may be an upgrade to a sports seat that may fit better. You need to check the seats out yourself first hand. Sit in the car in the show room for a couple of hours.

Sit in the car in the show room for a couple of hours.
heh - has anyone actually done that? Would be kinda funny to sit in the show room car for a few hours I would think.

It might make more sense to ask the dealer if you can have an extended test drive with the car. I know that some dealerships will allow you to take the car for a day or so to get a feel for it. Obviously this will depend on a lot of variables, but it is something to consider.

The shifter feel of the non short shifter is garbage compared to the NSX but it is a more modern car (heated seats, nav, etc).

Are you sure you really want an NSX? You have gone through two of them for a reason.

Last edited:
I got rid of a 2007 Cayman for my NSX lol.

The steering feedback through the steering wheel was great and the handling is really up there. Loved the extra creature comforts (two trunks, heated seats, decent sound system). However, anytime I would see an NSX, I felt... unsatisfied with the Cayman.

It's true with the standard seats, they do get very uncomfortable after a while. When I picked up my car from Shawn, I did an 11 hour trip and was amazed at how comfortable I was the whole time.

I believe some of their early Cayman (2006-8) suffer from the same IMS risk as the 996 and the Boxsters of the era. Caution!

i think it depends upon engine type such as M96/M97 911 base vs S models. in either case all the info should be online.

great posts by synergy+jetpilot !

I believe some of their early Cayman (2006-8) suffer from the same IMS risk as the 996 and the Boxsters of the era. Caution!

Follow your heart. The only Porsche I would consider getting is either 911 SC or 930 Turbo. And when I look at it I would get these for the same reason I bought NSX.

I happen to know of a 2006 Cayman S which had a 996 TT engine transplanted into it by Orbit Racing. The car has been meticulously maintained by a Patron Racing driver who is a friend of mine. If you are interested PM me.

Last edited:
thanks guys...the IMS thing has me a bit worried about the Cayman:confused:

Docjohn...That 2014 is beautiful!!! :eek:

Kinda funny how Porsche, took over where Acura left off and built their own version of the NSX with the Cayman in 2006.....:redface:

Owned a 928S, Boxster and most recently 996 cabriolet. While I appreciate my prior Porsche cars, since getting my 91 NSX I would never return to the Germans. The NSX is more dependable, cheaper to maintain and much more exotic. I also find the car more comfortable. Also, the AC in the NSX blows much colder than the P cars. Wait for the right NSX. It will be worth it!
The only thing I miss was the back seat in the 996. I know it looks small, but if you have kids 10 years and younger, the seats are surprisingly useful.

I'm not a Cayman fan but Gil, that car is hot. Wheels and color factor into it and I'd have no problem owning that. I had no idea you had that.

Last edited:
That white cayman looks amazing, but that black nsx looks better. :)

I feel your dilemma though. It is hard to buy a 1991 car for the same price as a 2006 cayman.

Back