• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Someone please post pic of VSS location

dx3

Contributing Member
As above. I have a general idea where it is but I don't know the exact spot. If someone could post a pic I would be eternally grateful :biggrin:

Also, what do you guys use to clean it? Mine works half the time so I am hoping it is just dirty...

Thanks,
Jonny

Well, since you said please :biggrin: . Just kidding, i work nights so i just woke up :rolleyes: .

Manual
Page #133

Thank you man. I looked at that picture but couldn't find that part when looking down at the motor. Does anyone have an actual picture that they could circle where the VSS actually is??

Thanks again.
Jonny

Sorry, my car is about 200 miles away. Will this help?

Manual page #6

Manual page #1277 and page #1119

Thank you sir. I think I have located it but now I am unsure as to what I need to clean... :confused: Do I remove the 3 screws and clean what is underneath it? It seems plenty of people have changed theirs but only one person is willing to help...

Jonny

You are welcome Jonny,

lol, and i have never changed one.

In the full manual (last link) on page #1119 it shows you how to remove. It looks like you only remove 2 of the bolts and be careful not to drop the joint shaft as it looks small and easy to lose. The part to clean is probably the bottom hole of the sensor, the joint shaft and the center hole that the joint shaft goes into on the case (my best guess). And you will probably need to add a small amount of gear oil to the joint shaft when you reinstall. I don't know the cost of the sensor but it may be better to replace it since you may be doing it twice if cleaning doesn't work.

btw... While you have it out check the electrical connectors (wires that plug into) for corrosion and clean them if needed.

Cheers

Last edited:
There isn't much to clean.

To get a better handle on this what is going on you will need to review the theory behind an electric generator. Which is essentially what a VSS is on a very small scale.

here is a nice article:
http://www.wvic.com/how-gen-works.htm

If you are very persistant you can probably rebuild it...the first place to look would be worn brushes. The brushes might be gunked up, but it is more likely they are worn out.

I looked at rebuilding mine when it wore out...the unit seems rather difficult to get apart.

Drew

You are welcome Jonny,

lol, and i have never changed one.

In the full manual (last link) on page #1119 it shows you how to remove. It looks like you only remove 2 of the bolts and be careful not to drop the joint shaft as it looks small and easy to lose. The part to clean is probably the bottom hole of the sensor, the joint shaft and the center hole that the joint shaft goes into on the case (my best guess). And you will probably need to add a small amount of gear oil to the joint shaft when you reinstall. I don't know the cost of the sensor but it may be better to replace it since you may be doing it twice if cleaning doesn't work.

btw... While you have it out check the electrical connectors (wires that plug into) for corrosion and clean them if needed.

Cheers

To get a better handle on this what is going on you will need to review the theory behind an electric generator. Which is essentially what a VSS is on a very small scale.

here is a nice article:

If you are very persistant you can probably rebuild it...the first place to look would be worn brushes. The brushes might be gunked up, but it is more likely they are worn out.

I looked at rebuilding mine when it wore out...the unit seems rather difficult to get apart.

Drew

Thanks guys :smile: Mine seems to work just fine for the most part, but after long highway driving at a constant speed it seems to stop working. I guess I will just order one...

Reviving this thread because I need to replace my VSS and Im unsure where it is located. I have looked at the manual pics but I dont see anything like that when I look at my motor. Could it be different because of the CTSC?

DX3 asks for a pic of the location but no one ever provides one but he finds it and then doesn't take a pic of it for those looking later.:frown:

If anyone does have an actual pic of the engine showing the location it would be appreciated.

Reviving this thread because I need to replace my VSS and Im unsure where it is located. I have looked at the manual pics but I dont see anything like that when I look at my motor. Could it be different because of the CTSC?

DX3 asks for a pic of the location but no one ever provides one but he finds it and then doesn't take a pic of it for those looking later.:frown:

If anyone does have an actual pic of the engine showing the location it would be appreciated.

I posted this in another thread, hope it helps.

Mike

Best i can do this far from home.

Mike

8bd29439.jpg

1e5105c1.jpg

the vss took me some time to install. taking the old one out was easy, but putting the new one in with the heat shield in between and lining up the first bolt was hard

The VSS was a lot further down on the engine than where I was looking for it. I can see how it might be a PIA to put it back in.

VSS.jpg

Disconnect the wire harness, then remove the one bolt that allows you to remove the entire assy from the trans. Then out on the bench you can change the sensor. You can get to the bolt from underneath, above the axle shaft on the engine block side;).

HTH,
LarryB

Disconnect the wire harness, then remove the one bolt that allows you to remove the entire assy from the trans. Then out on the bench you can change the sensor. You can get to the bolt from underneath, above the axle shaft on the engine block side;).

HTH,
LarryB

Awesome. Thanks.

Order placed and part should be here by Friday.

BTW - For all those Who find this thread later, disabling the TCS does keep the TCS and CEL light from coming on.

Last edited:
can someone please review the symptoms of a failing VSS, It seems easy enough to replace - as long as you don't lose that joint shaft... but what are the reasons to replace it? AND, should it be replaced without symptoms. Thanks!

can someone please review the symptoms of a failing VSS, It seems easy enough to replace - as long as you don't lose that joint shaft... but what are the reasons to replace it? AND, should it be replaced without symptoms. Thanks!

Your speedo will act erratically (usually when hot) - that's it. No need to replace it without symptoms.

I finally got around to yanking the old VSS out and installing the new one. I may have ran into a problem and just wanna check with Prime.

I thought I had taken out the correct 2 bolts but when I went to pull out the VSS it wouldn't budge. So I went under the car and was able to pull the assembly out.

But after I got it out I realized I unscrewed the wrong bolt and more than just the VSS came out. See pic.

I dont think its a big deal. I went ahead and installed the new VSS and the new input shaft.

But I'm wondering if I should grease that gear on the end before putting it back into the tranny? And if so what kind of grease?

VSS.jpg

Last edited:

HTH,
LarryB

Hmmm.....it looks like I unknowingly did exactly what Larry was advising here. But he doesn't mention about adding any grease to the gear so maybe its all good.

here is a nice article:

Drew

Glad I searched your post above. I was just about to go out and remove mine to see if I could clean it. A quick search on ebay shows I can buy a replacement for under $40. I don't "value" a project on cost alone but in this case, it is cold as freakin' Greenland here and the fun factor is quickly diminishing. So, I will pass on this job until I get the part and focus on more important things like stereo amps and such. :)

Thanks to you and Prime for these posts! (BTW, my dealer wanted $498 to do the work (replace).

The VSS (called engine speed sensor) can be bought on ebay for about $10:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VSS-V...es&fits=Model:NSX&hash=item51a08c5ba6&vxp=mtr

The OEM wiring harness plug is long enough to reach on older models and a perfect fit (no wiring alterations).

pgilliam1 -

So, if I read your post correctly, do you unattach the plug from the metal support and just run it directly to the sensor? It seems to me that the difference between a $10 and $40 part is that plug and bridging that gap. Am I right?

Thanks.

-Speedmaster

Back