• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS Na2 brake upgrade kit

Just got to spend some time with my 96 after having the 2001 system installed.my Mechanic had no issues with the kits parts.Install is clean(should be).My brake pedal now has more travel,is more progressive,has more feel.The abs actuation is less intrusive compared to my old system.Of course my 12 y/o guts where puking and my pedal travel was minimal in my last few years of driving.I would highly recomend this kit to anyone with older cars whose system finaly gives up the ghost and has to be replaced.As Chris states on his site the cost is just as much to replace the old parts that will eventualy fail again.So in summary nice idea and kit from SOS for improved more modern abs system.

I'm glad you metioned the more travel. I was afraid I was going nuts. The late system does rob you of that rock hard pedal we used to have. I'm happy with the system overall, but not that part frankly. Specifically I'm talking just a little more movement before you get to the brake start point.

hi John --

Thank you very much for your review.

I'm a little confused regarding the pedal travel as the cars we've done have a rock solid pedal effort after the conversion. The hydraulic system is completely drained during the installation though which could definitely make air introduction much easier. It took quite some time bleeding the system to make sure all the air has been removed.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Your title is a little bit confusing as you're writing about 97+ brakes (larger rotors) but refer to the 99+ ABS system. I have both. :wink:

As Chris says it needs A LOT of a bleeding. My pedal is rock solid after three bleeding turns.

I bled my car twice for about an hour each, on a vacubleed, and I do know what I'm doing. There is no air in my system. Its a subtle difference in that the pedal is still rock hard, it just moves more before you get to the "rock". The thing to do is for someone to just feel an NA1 next to an NA2. Thats what I'm curious about. It would probably be pretty easy to feel a difference with the cars side by side. Anybody have two laying around?

hi John --

Thank you very much for your review.

I'm a little confused regarding the pedal travel as the cars we've done have a rock solid pedal effort after the conversion. The hydraulic system is completely drained during the installation though which could definitely make air introduction much easier. It took quite some time bleeding the system to make sure all the air has been removed.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Well before the change Chris my pedal was wooden,no feel hardly any travel,at least now the pedal has some travel.The abs actualy works now.Before I could not get abs to engage,now at least I can feel something going on.For those not aware I have the brembo billet calipers up front and stock in the back.

I bled my car twice for about an hour each, on a vacubleed, and I do know what I'm doing. There is no air in my system. Its a subtle difference in that the pedal is still rock hard, it just moves more before you get to the "rock". The thing to do is for someone to just feel an NA1 next to an NA2. Thats what I'm curious about. It would probably be pretty easy to feel a difference with the cars side by side. Anybody have two laying around?

FYI. Just went out for a test drive between my NA1 and NA2. Not much difference in brake pedal movement between the two except the NA2 brakes are so much more powerful. Makes it feel like there's something wrong with the NA1 brakes. Now for the clutch pedal movement......that's another story. Night and day.

FYI. Just went out for a test drive between my NA1 and NA2. Not much difference in brake pedal movement between the two except the NA2 brakes are so much more powerful. Makes it feel like there's something wrong with the NA1 brakes.

A little bit OT but nice to read someone else states that there's a big difference between 91-96 and 97+ brakes. There has been a long discussion about them with people claiming no difference and it's nonsense to move from 91-96 to 97+ brakes. Nice to see someone on my side. :wink:

Back to topic: with every bleeding sequence the pedal got harder.

A little bit OT but nice to read someone else states that there's a big difference between 91-96 and 97+ brakes. There has been a long discussion about them with people claiming no difference and it's nonsense to move from 91-96 to 97+ brakes. Nice to see someone on my side. :wink:

Back to topic: with every bleeding sequence the pedal got harder.

I'm sorry you find my post "A little bit OT" :confused:(off topic?) If you read the original post a little more carefully the original post is mostly about brake pedal travel:

My brake pedal now has more travel,is more progressive,has more feel.The abs actuation is less intrusive compared to my old system.Of course my 12 y/o guts where puking and my pedal travel was minimal in my last few years of driving.

And again Tanto2 is concerned about the distance his pedal travels before it engages and asked about an NA1 and NA2 comparison side by side. In fact, he asks if "anybody has two laying around?" I happen to have both and was just trying to help.

I think Thomas is agreeing with you, and saying that he doesn't mean to carry the discussion about NA1 vs NA2 brakes off topic, but that it was a side note. I'm glad to hear your comparison notes as well. I agree that there is a noticeable difference between NA1 and NA2 brakes.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Well before the change Chris my pedal was wooden,no feel hardly any travel,at least now the pedal has some travel.The abs actualy works now.Before I could not get abs to engage,now at least I can feel something going on.For those not aware I have the brembo billet calipers up front and stock in the back.
Rock hard pedal with no travel is a good thing :)

I'm sorry you find my post "A little bit OT" :confused:(off topic?) If you read the original post a little more carefully the original post is mostly about brake pedal travel

Like Chris already mentioned: I agree with your post. :) I was referring to MY post being a little bit off topic by referring to the brake comparison as the OP started a thread about a ALB/ABS comparison. :wink:

Back