• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

source for 9-pin DIM connectors

Does anyone know a cheap source for 9-pin DIM plugs (or a cable I could take apart for the plugs)? I'm looking for 1 male and 1 female. If there is a place likely to be local to me (RadioShack, BestBuy, car audio, etc) that would carry...that would be best (no shipping).

Example of a 9-pin DIM is the cable used for the NSX's CD changer.

www.jameco.com

and its called a DIN connector :D
Aah, yes, "din" might result in better searches than "dim." Thanks.

However, a search for "9-pin dim" at that jameco.com results in a 9-pin mini-din connector in female only (wrong size, both genders needed) and two KVM switchboxes. ???

I use blackbox.com for all my electronic parts.

I'm looking for something similar

1-8 pin female din connector to 1 male rca

and

1-8 pin male to 1 male rca

I need these so I can use the existing cable that goes to the cd changer as the cable for my rear view camera

I've looked around and I'm not sure if I'm finding the right stuff.

Last edited:
I'm looking for something similar

1-8 pin female din connector to 1 male rca

and

1-8 pin male to 1 male rca

I need these so I can use the existing cable that goes to the cd changer as the cable for my rear view camera

I've looked around and I'm not sure if I'm finding the right stuff.
you arent going to find that pre made, youll have to source the parts and make it yourself.

you arent going to find that pre made, youll have to source the parts and make it yourself.

That is similar to what I'm doing...using the built-in CD changer cable for another purpose. I agree that you'll need to make the cables yourself, or have them custom made by a local shop.

Wednesday I picked up essentially identical parts to the ones I mentioned earlier (see quote below) from a local electronics parts store. Interestingly, the pin spacing is a little different from the NSX's CD changer cable. The first and last pins (closest to notch, open side of "circle" of pins) are closer together than on the NSX cable (pins on NSX cable make more of a horseshoe shape, where the pins are in a perfect circle). They'll work, but it will bend/stress those two pins a tiny bit.

This difference makes me extra curious as to where Brian Zublin gets his connectors from. The connectors on his SmarTenna are perfect matches to the NSX, not imperfect like the ones I bought. When I emailed him a couple weeks ago (about something else) it bounced.

Male and female for anyone who stumbles on this thread searching for the same thing.

What I was talking about in my previous post:
3340651000_17694b3265.jpg
3340651486_8c719bdbd8.jpg

In both pictures left is the plug that comes with SmarTenna (perfect match to NSX) and right is the plug I sourced locally.

The 8 pin DIN connectors used on the SmarTenna are manufactured by Hirschmann.
http://hus.hirschmann.com/English/index.phtml

The connectors I used are just the internal plastic shell and contacts, not the shroud. At the time I purchased them (about 10 years ago), the distributor had a 1000 piece minimum order which I had to meet. I am now looking to purchase more since I have used them all up!

Back