• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Speaking of full disclosure... my FI build up.

Since I vented recently in the turbo nsx thread about people actually doing stuff instead of just flapping their gums I figured I'd cut&paste a post I did on another board the other day. It describes the basics of my cars FI build up-- including costs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend, with the help of a friend of mine, I completed the last major portion of the blower install-- the fuel pump. As it seems with most R&R procedures on this car, it was a little tougher than the shop manual described.. but wasn't too bad.

My wideband also arrived, but I haven't installed it yet.. I'll be doing that sometime this week when I can get home early enough to pull one of my mid pipes off and take it over to an exhaust shop to have the bung welded on. This should be rather straight forward, famous last words I know.

For those curious about the costs associated with a project like this, I've broken it down below. Keep in mind this was my first major FI project, and i had just moved into a new place with zero tools and included their costs in my original 7k budget. Also, I have left out brand names as I HATE the idea of giving people free advertising when they should be supporting/sponsoring racers. If you want to know the specific brand/model of something I used send me an email.

(used) blower, ems, 550cc fuel injectors, AN fittings, brass T's for plumbing oil lines, belt,
air filter, polished goodies (didn't use them since I think the engine looks better nekkid), 3.5 bar map sensor, (new) 255L/hr fuel pump: $5500

(new) o-rings and misc parts for injectors: $20

motor oil, coolant, jack, 1 pair jackstands: free (already had them)

(new) lifetime guaranteed tools (which I needed, broke multiple tools trying to remove crank pulley), including 3/4" t-bar's, adapters/extensions, 2 standup garage lights, second set of jackstands, cordless drill + bitset, misc wire splicing stuff, 2 4ft breaker pipes from OSH: $500

(used) oem tt supra intercooler, (new)soft pipes/hoses/adapters/reducers from home depot: $100

(new) wideband o2 sensor, controller, and gauge (could have saved $150-200 on this if I was more frugal and/or patient): $450

(new) mechanical fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge: $75

(new) 2 port pillar mount gauge pod (could have saved $40-50 if I was more frugal and/or patient): $70

(new) missing nuts&bolts and various vacuum lines from osh/autopart stores: $20

(new) keg of mendocino red tail for the kegerator at the new house: $100

(new) hot tub cleaner and misc items so I could relax w/ a pint or 8 after wrenching: $40

For a grand total of: $6875

I'm estimating it will cost me $40-50 to get the wideband o2 bung welded on, so it looks like I'll come in just under budget. Hope no one minds the rehashing of an old thread, but thought some folks might be interested in the final costs. Cheers!

edit: damn public schools.

-mike
now comes the hard part.. getting the rest of the car ready for this years OTC... ;-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, since I made that post a couple days ago I've installed the wideband O2 (w/ some little instructions and pictures on my website if you were thinking of doing the same), it cost $35 to have the bung welded on.

I hope this might encourage some others to join the DIY ranks.. Cheers,

-mike

May I offer a bit of advice? Dump the Home Depot soft couplers. We have dealt with customers who have come in with this stuff... it doesn't work. It does for a little while... but then the heat starts to distort it and melt it... they will either pop, or pop off. Get the real thing, silicon couplers.

Elite said:
May I offer a bit of advice? Dump the Home Depot soft couplers. We have dealt with customers who have come in with this stuff... it doesn't work. It does for a little while... but then the heat starts to distort it and melt it... they will either pop, or pop off. Get the real thing, silicon couplers.

Agreed, I'm just using them to get the shape of the plumbing rite now. A friend of mine will be welding up some hard pipes using the soft pipes as a guide/template. I'll be mounting the hardpipes with the proper silicon couplers and clamps. Thanks for the heads up though!

-mike

mikeh said:
Agreed, I'm just using them to get the shape of the plumbing rite now. A friend of mine will be welding up some hard pipes using the soft pipes as a guide/template. I'll be mounting the hardpipes with the proper silicon couplers and clamps. Thanks for the heads up though!

-mike
I used turbonetics couplers $25 a piece and then found a company called Vibrant they sell the same coupler for $10-$15 depending on the angle you need. They have held up under 30lbs of boost with no problems for me. They come in blue or red.

Back