• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spec Clutch FAQ's from ScienceofSpeed

Recently, there's been quite a bit of discussion on NSXPrime about the Spec rebuild clutch available from ScienceofSpeed and other vendors. I'd like to provide an informative post to make sure all the questions out there are answered.

Spec produces two types of clutches.
1. remanufactured (aka "rebuilt") clutches using the OEM dual or single plate clutch that is relined, resurfaced, and setup with an increased clamp load for performance and durability. This is the same type of manufacturing process offered by other manufactures out there including Centerforce, ACT, and Clutchmasters, etc.

2. custom single plate clutch - these clutches are manufactured using custom components built from scratch for the NSX. This clutch is similar to the Comptech Powergrip clutch in that it is compatible with all years of the NSX, but unique in the way that it is customized for the NSX and not modified from another vehicle application. (see more info below)

As you may be aware of, the factory style dual plate clutches require a process called initialization that sets the clutch's mid plate equidistant from the discs. When the first batch of remanufactured clutches were manufactured, precise width shims were used in the damper recess of the flywheel to in effect initialize the mid plate from outside the car to minimize the need to perform this operation. While in theory this may have been a good idea, in reality it resulted in the clutches not operating properly. We have since contacted our customers about this problem. Customers with existing problems have had their clutches removed and replaced free of charge. It seems as if there are other NSX owners with these similar problems still out in the field. If you purchased your clutch from another vendor, you should contact the vendor you purchased from to work out the resolution.

Spec has been very helpful in assisting us to resolve these problems. In my experience, much more so that manufactures with other problems that have surfaced in the past. The problems are focused on stage 2 remanufactured clutches only. We are working with Spec to determine the cause for these problems.

On a good note, we're glad to introduce a new clutch that we have been working with Spec to develop. The Spec Single Disc Clutch System is very exciting to introduce as it allows quite a bit of versatility to be used with 5-speed and 6-speed transmissions. It also is very flexible for street and track use as it features smooth engagement and a pedal effort that is close to stock. This clutch has many advantages over existing options including the obvious advantages of reliability compared to a rebuilt clutch. The clutch is very easy to drive and eliminates a bit of the clunkiness of the factory dual disc clutch.

Spec Single Disc Clutch System:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/Spec/single_disc

JDNSX assisted us with the testing of this clutch (thanks JD). Production clutches are now shipping and installed on several cars with rave reviews. This is definitely a clutch to consider if you're interested in an economical high performance clutch. (refer to: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21445)

The remanufactured clutches should not be dismissed as a viable option. They offer a very cost effective option and retain the low MOI twin disc setup used with the 5-speed cars. Once we have the issues resolved and tested with the remanufactured stage 2 clutches, we will reoffer them as an option for our customers.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

best regards,
-- Chris

photo:

specsingle450.jpg

Thanks. From the end of your post it sounds like you are not selling the Stage2 rebuilt unit anymore. Is this true? Does that mean with or without shims, the problems with the clutch dragging can't be resolved?

We are not offering the stage 2 rebuild until we are able to test the clutch. As soon as we have the results, we'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
-- Chris

j14nsx said:
Thanks. From the end of your post it sounds like you are not selling the Stage2 rebuilt unit anymore. Is this true? Does that mean with or without shims, the problems with the clutch dragging can't be resolved?

Chris, maybe you should contact Sachs race engineering on the long run. I have a custom made race clutch (sinter metal) from them that seems to work pretty well and reliable - maybe an option for some U.S. customers too.

Chris,

You mentioned that you were not having any issues with the stage 1. Does that unit have these shims? Have you sold quite a few of those units? I do not think I have seen a whole lot of feedback on peoples experience with this unit.

Thanks for you time.

We were able to contact the customer using the remanufactured stage 1 clutch before the clutch was installed to remove the shims. Brian2by2 on NSXPrime has posted in several threads about his positive impression of the clutch.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Edwardo said:
Chris,

You mentioned that you were not having any issues with the stage 1. Does that unit have these shims? Have you sold quite a few of those units? I do not think I have seen a whole lot of feedback on peoples experience with this unit.

Thanks for you time.

New Custom SPEC Stage 2 + Lightened Flywheel Installed!

I recently had a SPEC Custom Clutch and lightened aluminum flywheel installed for my 5 to 6 speed conversion. I have a 95 T with I,H & E. I had a 6 speed with a Comptech 4:55 R&P installed and needed to convert from a dual disk to a single disk clutch. My other option was to get the new input shaft SOS offers for 6 speeds to accept the 5 speed dual disk systems. I elected to try the SPEC which at that time had not been installed in a car yet- or formally priced.

I ordered a new custom Stage 2 from SOS mid February. It was expected to be delievered in 2-4 weeks from SPEC so I took the car to the shop to begin some of the other work that was going to be performed at the same tome as the tranny conversion.

Skip ahead approx 8+ weeks and LOTS of phone calls later to Chris and Seth at SOS- some not so pleasant :mad: however they both always remained professional and responsive. They were simply telling me what SPEC was telling them regarding the status and expected ship date of my clutch which repeatedly was wrong. Since this was one of their first NSX new clutch systems with a lightened flywheel, SPEC kept running into issues with the build and quality so it would never ship. Because of the extreme delay and repeated missed shipping dates, when it was finnally ready, Chris and Seth were able to get SPEC to ship the clutch directly to my install shop(Pikes Peak Acura) in Colorado Springs versus to them and then out to me, saving me an additional 4+ days in transist. Thanks guys!!!.:)

OK enough of my sob story. The clutch and other mods FINNALLY got finished and I got the car 2 weeks ago and man- what a difference!!:D With approx 1000 miles, the clutch is working great!! Since it took so long to get out, they upgraded the disk to what SPEC refered to as a Stage 2.5. One side is a solid ring but the other side has 6 pucks for better grip. One or both of the sides is Carbon/Kevalar and the other- I don't remember what SPEC told me they used- but it is AWESOME. I NEVER had any issues with shudder and it engages smooth with similar pedal pressure to OEM. But that is where the similarities end! It grabs and holds strong. I'll continue to put a few more miles on the car over the next few weeks and will report any problems if I encounter them. If you don't see a follow-up, then "no news is good news'!

In about 3 weeks the car is going back 'under the knife' for a high boost BBSC and RM Nos kit. I guess that is when we'll see how much HP the SPEC can handle without issues! :D

With this 5 to 6 speed tranny conversion, I also needed a 6 speed lockout box which was previously only avail from Comptech but SOS has one now which is what I put in. It too is working flawlessly.

I have attached some of the SPEC clutch pics below;

Attachments

• img_0158.jpg
    img_0158.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 435
Quick Update

I spent this past Wednesday at the track(Pikes Peak International Raceway) with the boys from Pike Peak Acura in Colorado Springs after they leased it for the day- 10 of us with the oval and roadcourse all to ourselves!!!

I had put about 1500 miles on the new Spec clutch before that- some miles easy and some not so! :D

After 6 hours of HARD racing, the car had NO issues. No clutch, brakes, mechanical, etc... :) Several people drove my car that day- the owner and driver of a Comptech race preped NSX with Comptech SC, PowerGrip 2 clutch setup, other goodies, etc... The senior SCCA instructor for Colorado, several other Acura drivers, etc. They all commented on the car's speed, pull and accelleration. Several of them mentioned the cluch specifically- pedal pressure and grip. They liked it. So do I.

To this point, no issues and performing very well. I recommend this setup for anyone looking for clutch/flywheel for their NSX. Call Chris or Seth at SOS to get the details if you'd like more info!

P.S. I have no interest in SOS(although I feel like I should own stock for all I have spent:D !!) Keep up the great support of the NSX community guys!!

My Spec Experience

I ordered a Stage 2 dual disc with a lightweight aluminum flywheel direct from Spec, I was told it would take two weeks. I called after week two and was told it might take another two weeks, at that point I gave up. Crown Acura referred me to Mike at Speed with in Reach. He said it would take a week for him to get the clutch from Spec. Finally, three weeks later I received it. Mike told me that Spec did not have any lightweight flywheels available, he had to order one and that caused the delay.

The engine builder who did the install was backed up two more weeks. I’m starting to grow impatient at his point. Almost two months later I get the clutch in the car. The engine builder calls with bad new. It will not go into any gear unless it is started in gear. We call Spec and they say it needs to be broken in. Not a chance, the clutch completely failed. I called Spec and talk with Dave, he agrees to send me out a single disc that is a hybrid between at stage 2 and 3. He guaranteed that there would be no problems with this clutch however, I would have to cover the cost of the re-install.

It seems very similar to the story they gave ACURARUCA but after looking at the pictures ACURARUCA posted, the plates they sent him are completely different from what I received.

I had a core exchange on the 1st clutch so; I sold the dual disc here on prime for $500 to help make up for the cost of re-install. Either way, it was mess! At this point I have no idea what the hell they sold me. I tried to compare the clutch they sent me to the products on their web site. My best guess it that it’s only a stage 2 and not some special hybrid. I put over 500 miles on this clutch and it started slipping, I was about to go ballistic but after some adjustment is seems to be functioning properly.

In conclusion, I would highly suggest staying away from Spec. The added performance is great but it was not worth the aggravation. Now I am experiencing occasional grinding in third gear and I feel it was caused from the dual disc that failed. Mike at Speed with in reach did an excellent job in following up with me and I would buy from him again.
:mad:

Back