• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch chatter after service

Hi all! Had a ton of maintenance done on my 95 recently at HQ (engine out timing belt/WP, new OEM clutch, master/slave cylinders, rebuilt steering rack, etc).

Prior to the service, I had a small amount of clutch chatter. After the service, I noticed the clutch chatter has gotten worse. HQ mentioned they’ve seen this recently due to OEM parts being manufactured in various places now (outside of Japan). For those who have done an OEM clutch replacement recently, have you been experiencing more clutch chatter?

Hi all! Had a ton of maintenance done on my 95 recently at HQ (engine out timing belt/WP, new OEM clutch, master/slave cylinders, rebuilt steering rack, etc).

Prior to the service, I had a small amount of clutch chatter. After the service, I noticed the clutch chatter has gotten worse. HQ mentioned they’ve seen this recently due to OEM parts being manufactured in various places now (outside of Japan). For those who have done an OEM clutch replacement recently, have you been experiencing more clutch chatter?
Kaz has mentioned a decline in the overall quality of Honda parts, but not about the clutch pieces. Those are still manufactured by Exedy as they have been for 30 years.

Clutch chatter on the twin-disc is almost always a result of using too much grease or the wrong grease on the mainshaft splines. The OEM clutch discs have white balance marks that need to be aligned 180 degress opposite each other- getting this wrong can also cause chatter/shudder. The NSX clutch is finicky- it's a "just right" amount of grease that makes it quiet. You can't really measure it, you need to be taught how. LarryB taught me.

Spencer just got a new OEM clutch and we'll be installing it in the next months. I'll report back.

Back