• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon Honda NSX-R GT, First Drive

New article from today, didn't see it posted yet:

http://jalopnik.com/5083478/spoon-honda-nsx+r-gt-first-drive

Spoon Honda NSX-R GT, First Drive

Spoon_Honda_NSX-R_GT.jpg

medium_3022178603_963346487a_o.jpg

medium_3023008404_c978127102_o.jpg

medium_3023007494_267d0025e2_o.jpg

medium_3023007148_d8d4ac980a_o.jpg

medium_3023008084_0f9aa3d788_o.jpg

medium_3023006576_e186a3a87b_o.jpg

They say you should never meet your heroes. For the most part that’s true, I’ve never been more disappointed than after my first drive in a DeLorean DMC-12, childhood dreams of time travel completely squashed. When I was eleven I picked out the colors for a friend’s dad’s new NSX — red with a black top — and even though I’ve never driven one, it’s been on top of my supercar wish list ever since. So when the guys from 0-60 Magazine called and said they wanted to fly me out to Infineon to drive not just any NSX, but the Spoon Honda NSX-R GT, a tuned version of the rarest NSX ever made, I didn’t hesitate.

Based on the second generation, 2002 NSX-R, the GT was created specifically to comply with homologation regulations for Japanese Super GT racing. Those regulations stated any car that wanted to compete in the series had to be based on a production car with at least five examples. So Honda made five NSX-R GTs. Honda never stated what, if any, changes they made to GT underneath its wild new bodywork.

We do know what enhancements Spoon made to one of those five cars. Starting with the NSX-R GT’s functional carbon fiber aero aids, flat undertray, non-functional snorkel (there for homologation purposes only), complete absence of sound deadening, single pane rear glass (the only thing separating you from the engine) and carbon/Kevlar Recaros, the Japanese tuner added its own upgraded suspension and brakes as well as a giant turbocharger and remapped ECU to boost the 24-valve 3.2-liter V6’s from 290 to 420 HP.

This isn’t just the car I’ve always lusted after. It’s the single rarest example of that model and not a plain version of that either, but one that’s had the bejesus tuned out of it.

Infineon is an intimidating place to drive any car, in place of run off, concrete walls are installed right next to most of the track, restricting not only your options should something go wrong, but, in a car as low as the NSX, your vision too. What parts of the track are unencumbered by concrete feature huge elevation changes. It’s my first time here and I’m having trouble remember which corners go right and which ones left. The track is especially intimidating given the complete absence of driver aids in this priceless one-of-a-kind car. Sure, there’s ABS, but there isn’t traction control stability control, magnetic suspension or drive-by-wire anything.

Dating from 1990, the NSX hails from a completely different era of car design, one that put emphasis on the fundamental rightness of a low curb weight, lower center-of-gravity, an engine mounted amidships and the kind of subtle control that’s only available in the absence of electronic assistance. The GT’s bodykit also adds down force, lots of it.

Turn six at Infineon is an impossibly fast, downhill, off camber, near 180-degree hairpin. Its exit is bordered by a three-foot high, six-inch thick piece of poured concrete. Taking it fast takes commitment and more than a little faith. Gripping the tiny Momo wheel with white knuckles, it takes all my strength to turn the NSX onto a tighter line. The downforce that kicks in at close to three-figure speeds combined with the huge amount of caster means the steering gets heavier as you go faster, lots heavier. But that’s just a side effect to the reason for those two changes; with them, the NSX-R GT will make it around any corner, at seemingly any speed, with an absolute absence of drama. As long as you keep your right foot planted, just like the 911 before they made it a luxury car, the mantra for any NSX-R GT driver needs to be “Never Lift.”

Oh, and there will be NSX-R GT drivers too. Even though this specific model will remain very special, starting next year Spoon will sell you a brand new one that looks and goes just like this for only $150,000. And yes, it will be road-legal and available in left hand drive. Neither will they be mere replicas, but built using a supply of left over NSX-R chassis Honda has squirreled away somewhere in Japan.

That money won’t buy you a luxury car. While the original equipment carbon/Kevlar Recaros are supportive and comfortable, the air-conditioning cold and the tape player functional, the interior is cramped and difficult to access in a way expensive cars simply aren’t any more. It’s loud in here too; only a single pain of glass separates you from the grumbling tuned engine and its big, popping exhaust. Don’t think of it as Spartan, think of it as purposeful. Decades old design has its benefits; the view out is unencumbered by hood, fenders or power bulges, while the A-pillars are thin, enhancing your vision. The view out of the NSX is unrivalled and uncompromised, allowing you to concentrate on doing nothing but going fast.

And it does go fast too. Weighing just 2,795 Lbs (the 480 HP Nissan GT-R weighs over a thousand pounds more), that 420 HP can propel it to 60 in less than four seconds and on to a top speed somewhere in excess of 186 MPH.

They say never meet your heroes because they won’t live up to your expectations. But, this NSX-R GT doesn’t just feel as good as I expected, but better than I could ever have hoped. Unlike other classic super cars, the passing of time has been kind to the NSX. It suffers from neither high weight nor over complication of modern super cars, but adapts their up-to-date running gear, brakes and tires to give itself modern performance. Classic involvement with modern speed? That’s a fantasy we’re glad came true.

To read more, including a comparison against the 2009 BMW M3, pick up a copy of 0-60 Magazine issue 6, it hits stands nationwide today.

Photography credit: Robert Kerian

Thanks to: Edmun at Spoon Sports

is it a real nsx-r gt? or spoons version of it? this article makes it seem like its a real gt...

is it a real nsx-r gt? or spoons version of it? this article makes it seem like its a real gt...

There has been many speculations with this. Some think there was never any GT models while others believe. Supposedly, Spoon bought all 5 examples of the GT.

I believe it is real.

It's alright...except for the Jay Leno-inspired front chin spoiler. Don't know if the demand is really there at their asking price.

OK so is this true?

"Even though this specific model will remain very special, starting next year Spoon will sell you a brand new one that looks and goes just like this for only $150,000. And yes, it will be road-legal and available in left hand drive. Neither will they be mere replicas, but built using a supply of left over NSX-R chassis Honda has squirreled away somewhere in Japan."

There are "new squirreled away chasis"? That is news. What about the rest of the car? Interior, electronics, etc.? What is new and what is reconditioned from salvaged stock. If it was really all new the $150k price is reasonable, if it is for a 50 state legal Turbo version.

I noticed registration is not included on the web site, could gov't certification cost more than the car?

Too many unanswered questions and unsubstantiated claims...

Tytus

This looks like a good lesson in how internet rumors get started and carried away. Nobody wants to get accused of plagerism, so each reporter adds a bit to the original story. First Spoon article claims NSX-R is going on tour but looks boring stock, so it shows up in the US with the GT bodykit. Next article picks up the story and claims "...well, if they have Honda's belssing...", and it becomes factory sanctioned. Spoon, through an interpreter, claims car is one of five Spoon NSX-R GTs, which is "mis-understood" as being one of the five homologation specials, and not corrected. Next R&T article claims it is the real deal, and so does 0-60 Magazine, but the guy in the R&T photos is the same guy from 0-60 magazine. Would a non-NSXer know the difference? Then Spoon builds another GT to race at Macau, and people claim Spoon owns all five NSX-R GTs, which may have not even been built yet. Now, claims that Spoon is getting new leftover racing chassis from Honda, essentially creating an independent Refresh Program, and Honda does all the paperwork for Spoon, for a car model that they would not import to the US themselves.

BTW-What exactly is the difference between a regular coupe chassis and one from a TypeR, anyway?

Spoon is the only person claiming to have seen/own/knowledge of the NSX-R GT. To every other builder that makes GT replica kits, the car is called the "phantom" NSX-R GT. Spoon, claims that "homologation" specials can be different (!) and vary engine specs. Honda created a spec sheet for one single car, the wimpy NA version, and used that to promote the NSX-R GT to all the magazines? Honda never made the car available to the press, nor has a photo ever surfaced, other than from Spoon.

According to Edmun, the Spoon NSX-R GT will have the factory quarter panals. The trunk lid, door skins, hood, front bumper and rear bumper will be made of dry carbon by Dome. According to Edmun, you can order the car in any color the NSX was made in, and can have it left or right hand drive. All the parts are brand new and the car will take one to two months to complete. He also stated that AC will be an option if you would like. The only factory body panels are the rear quarter panals and front fenders. Those will come painted from the factory. I am not sure who at Spoon ( if at Spoon) will be painting the other bodyparts.

There are two engine options as stated by Wingz earlier. The 3.0 NA1 w/ single Spoon Turbo and the 3.2 NA2 with 300hp.

Question: Didn't the NA2 NSX-R engines have extra hp???

According to Spoon's PDF, the available colors were limited to White/Black/Yellow/Blue.

I actually am looking into getting one and asked Edmun yesterday about getting a Lime green metallic. He stated that if the factory made the color that they can get it. I also saw the PDF sheet that showed the 4 colors, but asked about others as well.

He also stated that the roof was constructed of carbon fiber as well. In addition, the NSX would come out to a curb weight of just under 2800lbs.

On a side note, they never produced a NSX-R GT. During NSX Fiesta 2007 Uehara-san stated that the NSX-R GT was never produced. No copies were every sold. Hence , the Spoon version is a clone.

I actually am looking into getting one and asked Edmun yesterday about getting a Lime green metallic. He stated that if the factory made the color that they can get it. I also saw the PDF sheet that showed the 4 colors, but asked about others as well.

He also stated that the roof was constructed of carbon fiber as well. In addition, the NSX would come out to a curb weight of just under 2800lbs.

On a side note, they never produced a NSX-R GT. During NSX Fiesta 2007 Uehara-san stated that the NSX-R GT was never produced. No copies were every sold. Hence , the Spoon version is a clone.

I want the CF roof!! Someone make one please, I've been begging for this...T-TOP that is..

Back