• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spoon to make LHD NSX Type-R For U.S. Buyers

http://www.gtchannel.com/content.php?cid=27261

We all love rare Japanese imports here, and whether it's an rare FD3S RX-7 Spirit-R or the NSX Type-R, we've all dreamed of owning one at some time or another However, once we realize how impractical it is to be going RHD, and how much cop attention and questioning we'll get with the car, it's a dream that quickly subsides. That's where Spoon comes in. By fully reburbishing right hand drive NSX's from the chassis up, upgrading the engine and transmission components, and redoing the whole interior, Spoon has gone through the trouble of creating exact replicas of the NSX Type-R, which are available to the U.S. market buyers for 7 million yen (approx. $63.5k). The vehicle will be available in left hand drive of course, and you can find out more details on how to order your LHD NSX Type-R at http://www.spoon.jp/.

I wonder how true this is...

Im in:biggrin:

I'm down...

Im in:biggrin:

Though, I dunno how that's feasible?

- Blueprint/balance 3.2 NA motor
- '02+ NSX-R ECU
- '02+ NSX-R interior (seats, carpet/floor-mats, roof-liner, steering-wheel, instrument-panel/gauges, center-console, shift-knob/boot, pedals, door-sill plates, emblems)
- '02+ NSX-R aero-parts (CF rear-spoiler, CF valance-diffuser, underbody-trays, CF hood-duct)
- '02+ NSX-R wheels/tires
- '02+ NSX-R suspension & front-chassis/rear-frame/anti-roll bars
- '02+ NSX-R brake-discs/pads
- '02+ NSX-R front/rear-fascia (CF vented-hood, '02+ NSX bumper/headlights/tail-lights)
- myriad of trivialities that I have omitted!

... or SPOON-Sports is offering a refreshed NSX in the form of a '93+ NA1 NSX-R?!? Grrr...

Last edited:
that doesnt make any sense, especialy when the us dollar is so weak, remember the nsx is a very expensive car over there, add that to the cost of all the parts, and thats probably 62000 not including all the labor, i call this internet hype

U.S. partnership...

Sounds good, but would it be more cost effective to just modify an existing LHD NSX and add the Type R parts?

SPOON-Sports is based out of Tokyo, Japan. RHD NSX'es predominate there.

It'd be really interesting/cool if Dali-Racing or Science of Speed would be able to outsource such an endeavor from SPOON-Sports...

Ex. SPOON-Sports blueprints/balances the motor, upgrades the transmission, assembles/collects the '02+ NSX-R components, and then sends all that to the U.S. installer of choice who has the existing NSX'es of customers/clients.

The only drawback I see w/ this the collection of now undesired 'core' NSX components which still would hold value in the eye of the existing NSX-owner, IMO.

A possible solution to this would be the U.S. partner offers a core-refund to the customer/client for their motor/transmission, and then sends back those components to SPOON-Sports for them to modify/etc'.

However, I would think that SPOON-Sports would want to do everything in-house to insure QA/QC w/o compromise.

Afterall, the real '02+ NSX-R was practically re-engineered w/o any consideration of cutting-corners.

Or... some sort of program analogous to the Honda 'refresh' program, except run by SPOON-Sports: send your USDM LHD NSX & get it converted to an '02+ NSX-R! I'd assume the round-trip shipping to Japan from the U.S. would be less than what a RHD -> LHD conversion may cost...(?)

Last edited:
I sent an email to the US Spoon sales department asking them to post more information on prime. Looks like they're just doing NA1 NSX-R but if they're doing NA2s as well my car would be up for in a heartbeat.

Really sucks for the guys who've gone through so much hard work and paid so much to get NSX-R parts for their cars:frown:

I'm sure it's 65k + the cost of a "donor" NSX. Or something to that effect.

The only NSX that normally come out to us here in the UK from Japan cheaply are either:

R Grade

Autos

Modified

Or on ocassions all of the above! :smile:

I sent an email to the US Spoon sales department asking them to post more information on prime. Looks like they're just doing NA1 NSX-R but if they're doing NA2s as well my car would be up for in a heartbeat.

Really sucks for the guys who've gone through so much hard work and paid so much to get NSX-R parts for their cars:frown:

can you post what your email said and what they said

Approximate MSRP from Honda:
NSX-R Hood: $12,000
NSX-R Spoiler: $6,700
NSX-R Floor Mats: $650
NSX-R Gauge Cluster: $2,500
NSX-R ECU: $2,700
NSX-R Seats with power rails: $13,500
NSX-R Interior carpeting and Roof liner: $2,500
NSX-R Final Driver: $800
NSX-R Badges/Emblems/Door Sill/Engine plate and Cover: $1,000
NSX-R Mesh Engine Cover: $1,200
NSX-R Wheels: $8,000
NSX-R RE070 Tires: $1,200
NSX-R Suspension: $3,200
NSX-R Shift Knob: $200
NSX-R Shift Boot: $65
NSX-R Air Duct: $750
NSX-R Chassis/Sway Bars: $400
NSX-R DBW Thorttle: $1,200
NSX-R ECU Harness: $3,500
NSX-R Aluminum color Interior Trim: $3,500

Total: $65565

$59,008 after 10% discount on parts
$8,000 Labor

Plus a base model NA2 Couple.

Last edited:
Re: I'm down...

Though, I dunno how that's feasible?

- Blueprint/balance 3.2 NA motor
- '02+ NSX-R ECU
- '02+ NSX-R interior (seats, carpet/floor-mats, roof-liner, steering-wheel, instrument-panel/gauges, center-console, shift-knob/boot, pedals, door-sill plates, emblems)
- '02+ NSX-R aero-parts (CF rear-spoiler, CF valance-diffuser, underbody-trays, CF hood-duct)
- '02+ NSX-R wheels/tires
- '02+ NSX-R suspension & front-chassis/rear-frame/anti-roll bars
- '02+ NSX-R brake-discs/pads
- '02+ NSX-R front/rear-fascia (CF vented-hood, '02+ NSX bumper/headlights/tail-lights)
- myriad of trivialities that I have omitted!

... or SPOON-Sports is offering a refreshed NSX in the form of a '93+ NA1 NSX-R?!? Grrr...

I didn't think they were blueprinting the engine, from what I understood...its mostly going to be body and suspension work. But then again you never know....63.5k is a bit steep in price for a NSX-R look alike without a blueprinted engine.

vance.

you are low on a couple of parts

na2 nsx-r -seats w/ power rails .. i priced them recently and they are 18,500.00
nsx-r engine cover is now 1,600.00
you are missing the brakes.. i don't have the cost
your are also missing the nsx-r rear diffuser

can you post what your email said and what they said

No prob as soon as they contact me.

Approximate MSRP from Honda:
NSX-R Hood: $12,000
NSX-R Spoiler: $6,700
NSX-R Floor Mats: $650
NSX-R Gauge Cluster: $2,500
NSX-R ECU: $2,700
NSX-R Seats with power rails: $13,500
NSX-R Interior carpeting and Roof liner: $2,500
NSX-R Final Driver: $800
NSX-R Badges/Emblems/Door Sill/Engine plate and Cover: $1,000
NSX-R Mesh Engine Cover: $1,200
NSX-R Wheels: $8,000
NSX-R RE070 Tires: $1,200
NSX-R Suspension: $3,200
NSX-R Shift Knob: $200
NSX-R Shift Boot: $65
NSX-R Air Duct: $750
NSX-R Chassis/Sway Bars: $400
NSX-R DBW Thorttle: $1,200
NSX-R ECU Harness: $3,500
NSX-R Aluminum color Interior Trim: $3,500

Total: $65565

$59,008 after 10% discount on parts
$8,000 Labor

Plus a base model NA2 Couple.

Hmm then why are they pricing it this way Vance as that does seem awful cheap.

:wink:

Easy on me guys, those are the price quote I got from two years ago!!!

The seats however, I can get them new for $12 grand without the sear rails, plus another grand to ship.

rails are another 2800.00 (1400 each)

while expensive, your price is a great price on the seats!:biggrin:

I doubt the conversion will be entirely 100% Type R. There are certain stuff you just can't do within the quote.

Why not just take a real Type R and make it into LHD. Much easier that way.

Supposedly, the new Vtec Club video will have Spoon Turbo NSX in it along with Dori-king NSX and others.

Hey guys

I just talked to Edmun at OPAKracing which is the US SPoon distributer. He's emailing me some stuff so I can confirm but basically what they posted is accurate. That will be the price for either NA1 or NA2 NSX-R. Apparently when Comptech went under Honda approached SPoon to fill the void and they're basically working with Honda to make the NSX-R parts available here to us as well as Spoon NSX performance parts. SPOON is also working with Honda on the NSX replacement and there will be a Type R version of this car.

So as soon as I get more info I will post.

Oh also please send me a list of NSX-R parts that you guys want and I'll forward them. Yes I told they're parts want but can't get so he said they should be able to make it happen.

At this point I was going to list

NSX-R seats ( as well as NSX type S seats )
NSX-R wheels

Lastly here's some pics of the 550hp turbocharged real NSX-R.
NSX2.jpg

Last edited:
Back