• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Springfield XD

My understanding is that the 357 sig round was developed specifically for the FBI to penetrate barriers like car doors. This also translates into over penetration in human tissue making it less effective for self defense than many other rounds. The problem is that most people buy what they think is cool and if the FBI uses it then if must be for me too right?:tongue:
:

The .40 was developed for the FBI after the Miami Day shootout not the .357 sig. The .357 Sig actually fragments on impact. While they do make armor piercing rounds for it. Its used by Air Marshalls on airplanes where there cant be much overpenetration.. It has More stopping power then the .40 but less recoil. The 357. Sig is a Great round that is under appreciated in my opinion. SIG's 40 cal P226 can shoot .357 sig with just changing the barrel. 2 rounds in one gun :biggrin:

Back on Topic. The XD is a Great Firearm Especially for the price. I havent fired one but have held them. They fit comfortably in my hand. But I generally stay away from polymer guns. But to each their own. Have you considered a SIG? :wink:

Last edited:
I had several Sigs over the years, but seems someone always wants it more than me. A friend will usually offer me way more than I paid for some reason.

+1 with the Sig Sauer. I love my P228.

+2 on the P228. That's by far the best pistol I've ever bought. I have quite a few including ones by HK, Kahr, Beretta, Walther, and Ruger. Eventhough I have the selection, I always lean towards the Sig.

As for the XD, its a solid and reliable gun as most guns are when you are reviewing any by a reputable manufacturer. I've shot it and it shoots just fine. Definitely not my fav though. It really comes down to personal preference and purpose. I do know that the XD comes in a nice standard package with the holster for the gun and mags, rails, and 2 (or 3...forgot) mags. Just shoot several of them and see which feels the best. I'd recommend the HK compact, the Ruger SR9, or Glock to compare to.

If you need a pistol safe, check out my website and the group discount in the general classifieds. Good luck and happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Here's the thing, let's not fall into the "what's the best gun" trap. Everyone can recommend a gun they like as we all know it's comes down to personal preference. We already have a thread for that. However, when looking at the XD specifically you would be remiss not to look at the Glock equivalent, simply because the two guns are so similar that you would think Springfield copied Glock, or at least used it for inspiration. Look at the similarities, same polymer bottom, metal top. Same double trigger safety. Similar boxy shape. Similar size, weight and feel. Similar action. nearly identical breakdown and number of break down parts. That is why I recommend shooting the two. And please let us know what you think and what gun you end up deciding on.

Here's the thing, let's not fall into the "what's the best gun" trap. Everyone can recommend a gun they like as we all know it's comes down to personal preference. We already have a thread for that. However, when looking at the XD specifically you would be remiss not to look at the Glock equivalent, simply because the two guns are so similar that you would think Springfield copied Glock, or at least used it for inspiration. Look at the similarities, same polymer bottom, metal top. Same double trigger safety. Similar boxy shape. Similar size, weight and feel. Similar action. nearly identical breakdown and number of break down parts. That is why I recommend shooting the two. And please let us know what you think and what gun you end up deciding on.

Springfield did copy Glock and settled the lawsuit after Glock sued them.

Lawsuit was between Glock and Smith and Wesson for the Sigma pistol.

Please cite reference to Springfield lawsuit.

Springfield has not been sued.

If you would like to know the origins of the XD look up HARMS AMERICA HS2000 :wink:

Springfield has not been sued.

If you would like to know the origins of the XD look up HARMS AMERICA HS2000 :wink:

Again, if Springfield or HSARMS HSAmerica has been sued by Glock please cite reference.

Did you take a look at the Walther PPS? That's my new fav CC. I carried the Kahr CW9 before the PPS. Quite a few of my family and friends have switched to the PPS, too. My uncle has the XD and swears by it.

This is what I conceal at the moment: http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi.../PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=28974 I love this gun and the way it shoots. My intrest in the XD sub compact over the Glock is strictly personal preference. I've shot full frame glocks and liked them, but I feel more comfortable with the extra added thumb safety on the XD. I really appreciate everyones insight.

I own several Glocks and own/ed other's as well HK's, Sigs, Kimber 1911's but carry a Glock. I've never had any issue with my Glocks. EVER.

I used to carry my 1911 but it's to cumbersome to conceal and jam's every once in a while.

I would avoid HK's. Way overpriced and over rated. The trigger pull isn't as good as the glock and I've noticed the my groupings are just as good if not better with the glock than any other hand gun that I own or have shot other than the Sigs.

Right now, for my carry pistols, I usually carry my Glock 27
(modified with a titaninium striker, night sites and mag extension) or my Glock 23 (modified with a titaninium striker, 3 1/2 lbs trigger release, night sites).

I prefer carrying a 40 vs a 9mm mainly for the added stopping power. Would prefer the .45 but from what I understand, a 45 in a sub compact isn't ideal - something to do with not being able to achieve full velocity at close range:confused:

If your looking to purchase a back up 2nd 'ary carry gun, why not look into the Keltec's and the beretta tomcat?

Keltecs are Awful.

Even though they are light and small i have heard from many dealers that they are trash. They send back 3/5 because they don't work correctly.

What about the CZ 2075?

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48

CZs are Outstanding handguns. Very sturdy and reliable. They are a great bang for the buck. They go for about 400-500. They are on Par with the browning hi-power in my opinion.

Personally the Springfield XDs feel weird to me. Your hand is positioned far back and the gun feels front heavy. If your considering getting one look at glocks one more time before you do.

Back