• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sraight pipes VS muffler!!!

Just wanted to share something with u Guys,i own a supercharged nsx and i have hks muffler and since im taking my car this weekend to the track i decided to see if it would work better with sraight pipes .....

thing is alot of noise and i lost 40hp the power curve on the dyno are same and the power loss is from 7000rpm ...realy dissapointed cause i excpected to make power good thing for the dyno

the reason i posted this is to prevent anyone waisting his time with straight pipes

What are you comparing it to? Stock Cats? Did you change the tune at all?

What are you comparing it to? Stock Cats? Did you change the tune at all?

no..i run my nsx with no cats and the only thing i did was remove my
hks exhaust and install starigh pipes from my headers took the car to the dyno and that is were i noticed that i lost power ,i didnt bother with the tune cause my afr was leaner with the straight pipes and still made no power and i didnt have patiance and all the noise it made in the dyno to start messing with my ecu!

no..i run my nsx with no cats and the only thing i did was remove my
hks exhaust and install starigh pipes from my headers took the car to the dyno and that is were i noticed that i lost power ,i didnt bother with the tune cause my afr was leaner with the straight pipes and still made no power and i didnt have patiance and all the noise it made in the dyno to start messing with my ecu!

if its leaner that means the the engine is flowing more air than before assuming the same amount of fuel of course. interesting. how lean was it? were both pulls back to back on the same day?

Last edited:
You need to retune to take advantage of the straight pipes.

Engines are air pumps. Less restriction in and less restriction out will always produce more power.

Now, if you change intake lengths or exhaust lengths, then resonance effects will also come into play and change your power curves.

Dave

Your engine is flowing better. The better airflow will allow a retune to dump more fuel into the mix, which will make more power. You need a retune to take advantage of the change which is pretty much true with any material change you make when running forced induction.

You need to retune to take advantage of the straight pipes.

Engines are air pumps. Less restriction in and less restriction out will always produce more power.

Now, if you change intake lengths or exhaust lengths, then resonance effects will also come into play and change your power curves.

Dave

This.

Back