• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SRS Light staying on

I was in the middle of my new stereo upgrade and I ran the battery down very low, while charging the car was making some odd relay and mechanical/buzzing noises- so I popped off the battery terminals and finished charging the the battery. Then I started the engine to test for ground whine etc. and everything was fine except the SRS light came on and now its seems here to stay.

I have an S-2000 wheel installed (10 tens ago) and I do not remember if I bypassed the airbag or if it plugged in (I seem to remember that I bypassed it but can not be sure) - could I have jostled connections in the console when reassembling- its a tight fit back there or could the charging of the need dead battery have caused some damage

Any ideas would be helpful-

thanks

Rich

Check the SRS fuse first to make sure it's intact, I believe it's in the driver's foot well.

Like all of the other electronics in old cars, the capacitors in the SRS unit tend to leak and eat the circuit board. If that's the case it'll keep blowing the SRS fuse. Just an observation on a common issue.

Check the #1 10 A fuse that supplies the SRS. I believe loss of power from #1 to the SRS will cause the SRS to light up. There is another fuse that supplies alternate power to the SRS; but, I can't remember the number and I can't remember whether its failure will also generate an SRS light warning. You would need to check the service manual to confirm that other fuse number.

The SRS does not generate diagnostic codes. Diagnosis according to the service manual requires the use of a special interposing test harness and you then use the harness to check for the correct voltages. If the fuses are OK, without the test harness you are pretty much into visual inspection to look for problems so if there is a chance that you bumped the connection to the airbag that would be an obvious place to start checking unless you have access to a test harness.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I checked the footwell fuse- but will now hunt down the other fuse just in case.

Rich

New owner, bought a 92 with the SRS issue and now realizing the modules being NLA means I've stepped into a bit more of an issue than I thought.

I've read a lot of threads on the SRS issues but may have missed some -- apologies if I'm repeating things, but figured resurrecting this thread that's only a few months old is less evil than some other options.

Seems like nobody has made module (OEM or otherwise) in the last 20 years so if I find a replacement board, it'll have old, leak-prone capacitors too -- right? Meaning the only option is to hunt up an old board that isn't too badly damaged yet and hand-replace the capacitors?

I solder even worse than I weld, so I try to avoid doing either of those jobs on safety-critical systems, making me a bit queasy to solder explosive control systems :-/.

Also, I saw one reference (http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/185227-SRS-unit-repair-how-to) to an Acura Legend part also working but aren't there multiple NSX parts, so presumably multiple Legend parts -- anyone have a reliable NSX-to-Legend part number mapping? And are there other things to know when buying a used module (whether from an NSX or a Legend)?

Back