SSR Comp-H

Everyone, need your help in finalizing my decision to get the SSR Comp-H wheels. I have a '93 Silver NSX.

I wanted to clear up some things...

- Are the -H versions of the Competitions stiffer enough to keep them from
being considered "super soft rim"?
- Would the 17x7.5 and 18x9.5 wheels be somewhat flush with the body?
They don't have to be completely flush but more so than OEM wheels.
- Any alternatives to the center cap that stick out? Can you ride without the center caps?
- What's a better setup, 17/17 or 17/18, in terms of performance/ride/etc.?

Thanks,
jbum

nice wheel selection...

These are my personal insights:

For the most flush-with-fender look, you have to customize the offsets of the wheels. Check the FAQ's for the topic of wheel width & offset selection.

17/18 maybe aesthetically more appealing on a NSX as the staggered diameter of the wheels gives the NSX a more aggressive stance.

The downside of 18" wheels is the added weight (larger wheel, larger tire... possibly may affect perf.), increased cost & decreased selection in tires, TCS issues (possibly depending on the profile of tire used), and the rear OEM brake rotors look puny/wimpy (relatively speaking)!

I personally have chosen a 17/17 setup for the the reasons above, and of-coure the fact that Honda went w/ 17/17 for the 02+ models and the NSX-R! :cool:

jbum said:
Everyone, need your help in finalizing my decision to get the SSR Comp-H wheels. I have a '93 Silver NSX.

I wanted to clear up some things...

- Are the -H versions of the Competitions stiffer enough to keep them from
being considered "super soft rim"?
- Would the 17x7.5 and 18x9.5 wheels be somewhat flush with the body?
They don't have to be completely flush but more so than OEM wheels.
- Any alternatives to the center cap that stick out? Can you ride without the center caps?
- What's a better setup, 17/17 or 17/18, in terms of performance/ride/etc.?

Thanks,
jbum

Just some comments:

You need to specify the offset to determine how much the wheels will be relative to the fender, relative to the original 5 spoke OEM rims on a 93, they will more than likely be sticking farther out closer to the fender based on the most popular sizes being offered by The Tire Rack.

You can ride without the center cap without any detrimental effects.

The rear wheel in 18 inch will give you a better selection of tires 255/40/18, 265/35/18, 275/35/18 tires than a 17 inch rear wheel.

2slow2speed said:
Just some comments:

You need to specify the offset to determine how much the wheels will be relative to the fender, relative to the original 5 spoke OEM rims on a 93, they will more than likely be sticking farther out closer to the fender based on the most popular sizes being offered by The Tire Rack.

You can ride without the center cap without any detrimental effects.

The rear wheel in 18 inch will give you a better selection of tires 255/40/18, 265/35/18, 275/35/18 tires than a 17 inch rear wheel.

I believe the offsets for both front/rear are +42. Less than the oem 55 and 60 I believe. So this means, along with the added width of the wheels, the offset make the wheel protrude out more, right?

jbum said:
I believe the offsets for both front/rear are +42. Less than the oem 55 and 60 I believe. So this means, along with the added width of the wheels, the offset make the wheel protrude out more, right?

Yep,

They will be further out, a 42mm offset on a 17x7.5 and 18x9.5 will look fine on your NSX.

Ken

Does anyone have pictures of the silver Comp-H? Preferably on a silver nsx as well but any color will do.

Below is a pic of SSR's Competitions (Not "H"), from what I understand they are very similar.

mikeartssolo.jpg

rim size - (F) 17x7.5 (R) 18x9.5
rim offset - (F) +42 (R) +50
spacer - Yes (F) 5mm (R) 15mm
tire size - (F) 215x40x17 (R) 265x35x18 - Bridgestone SO3's

I hope this helps...

Mike

If you wish to see the silver comps on a black,look in the event archive for the river run from 04 in the NE region and look for the bee.I tried to link a pic and or post one but the windows machinations required mock me!

RP-Motorsports said:
Looks good Mike.
Tom,

Thanks... and thanks again for the great deal on the SSR Competitions and S03's.

Mike

Back