• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Rack Advice Please

I have a 1992 5 spd manual NSX at 134,000kms.

At my last routine service by Honda "play in the steering rack" was discovered and investigated as below:

"Checked steering for play, and found play from the L/F inner tie rod area. Removed the steering rack boot and tested the L/F inner tie rod joint. Found the joint to be OK, but found the steering rack bush to be worn and causing the play. Checked through the workshop manual and found that the steering rack is not serviceable and has to be replaced as a complete assembly"

I have therefore been quoted US$8350 plus 6-7 hrs labour. Seems a little excessive. Do I have any other options? If Honda will not supply the bushes separately, are there appropriate aftermarket steering rack bushes available (eg from SOS)?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi. Is your mounting bushing worn? Easy to replace aand cheap.

If the inner tie rod is pooched, easy to replace and align. I will see what a rack costs, but seems mighty pricey.

Cheers from globally above.

Not sure about the pricing but yes the rack itself has no serviceable bushings ..which really sucks because like they said you have to replace the whole housing..I have seen this on other cars.

as for 7 hours labor? that seems really high.

I think they've included the price for the new rack which would run retail about $5400 or so. If you actually need a new rack, I'd look in to putting the manual rack in instead. You might find someone other than a dealer to do bushings if the rack is ok as is.

EDIT: just re-read your post. You don't have power steering!!! A manual rack full replacement wouldn't cost near that much even with 20 hours of tech time. Not to mention that the manual rack is a servicable part-- at least according to the service manual.

Dear nsx2tall,

My 1992 NSX does have power steering here in NZ. I realise this was not the case for the US. The quoted amount was for the steering rack alone. If $5400 is retail for the rack in the US then I am not surprised as we always seem to pay more for parts in NZ.

KiwiNSX said:
Dear nsx2tall,

My 1992 NSX does have power steering here in NZ. I realise this was not the case for the US. The quoted amount was for the steering rack alone. If $5400 is retail for the rack in the US then I am not surprised as we always seem to pay more for parts in NZ.

I thought the a 1992 5-speed would have a manual rack. Oh well, the rack costs more on my NSX than most of the engine on my STi. Bend over, insert rack...:eek:

wow that's odd...never heard of a 1992 5sp car with a power rack, either way the rack is going to be expensive, and if your rack rod moves up and down in the housing your outta luck, if it is power I would ask around here on Prime to see if you can get one that somebody took out for a std non power install...NOTE! the Power steering systems are not exactly the same from the 91 Auto -2005 cars..If i remember correctly there were changes to the system in 97...otherwise if it is non power you should also see if one is avalible here on prime.

If your car is right hand drive your gonna have an even harder time finding parts for it, Good luck, JZ

It doesn't sound right, what kind of movement/play are you getting?

I assume you are getting a WOF at a local shop? Are you allowed to get a second opinion at a shop that might be more acquainted with the NSX?

If you do need a rack: I too recommend going to a manual rack; much better!

I suppose you could ship out your rack for rebuilding too...either local in NZ or in the States.

Drew

KiwiNSX,
That price sounds about right for a new rack, thats what i was quoted when looking for a steering rack for my NSX. I also think that the rack isnt very service friendly.

Take a look at the one Whrdnsx's rack, that might solve your problem.

Whrdnsx, Why do you have an extra RHD steering rack?? You still planning to convert?

KiwiNSX said:
Dear nsx2tall,

Surprised that you have the power steering as well. It's fairly common to rip off customers outside the US.
Besides that: Why don't you grease them with wheel bearing grease. Worked for many my tech says. The play will still be there but less audiable and it's only a cosmetic error as the steering itself has NO play. It doesn't have anything to do with the steering rack bushes as stated above.
One should come up with a kit for the NSX steering I think.

Back