• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

steering wheel & airbag removal instruction?

I don't know the exact way to take off the NSX steering wheel, but when working on other cars with air bags I've pulled the SRS fuse to prevent the bag from exploding. Sorry I could be more help, but at least you won't get a bag in your face and ruin your dash and windshield.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 11 February 2001).]

Charles, The dealer won't do it as it is illegal to replace airbags with non airbag steering wheel. It is pretty easy to do. Make sure u disconnect your battery and let it sit for about 30 min. before u start taking of the airbag. It is time consuming. Private me and I'll give u the details.

Might I prevail on one of you to do a writeup on this project? (It's not unlawful to describe the process.)

I'm interested in swapping out the stock steering wheel/hub with a Momo/Type R combo, and I imagine the writeup would be of general interest, perhaps even something to be added to the FAQ.

Andrie, were you able to preserve the horn function? Also, what happens to the airbag warning light after one removes the airbag? Is there a way to disable that too?

Thanks,

--twc

Ted, I was able to preserve the horn function. I'll take some pictures and post it soon. As for the write up, I'll let Charles do it. I hate writing.
smile.gif

For airbag light, I simply took out the bulb.

Okay, I decided to do a little write up.
smile.gif

Firstly, I would recommend u to get the manual for the NSX, so u get the diagram how the steering wheels actually come off. For the records, I did about 5 airbags total for various car. Only 2 cars I did disconnect the battery. It doesn't make sense that the airbag will deploy unless there is a short or surge of power. But precautions are always good.

Procedures:

1. Disconnect both negative and positive battery cable and wait for 30 min. I didn't do this, but better be safe than sorry.
2. Remove the dashboard lower cover, knee bolster pad, and knee bolster.
3. Remove steering column coves.
4. Disconnect SRS main harness to cable reel (yellow color). All SRS related wiring are covered with yellow insulation.
5. Remove the access panel cover located behind the steering wheel on the left side (if you are sitting on the car), and disconnect the airbag connector and use the short connector.
6. Remove the 2 torx bolt.
7. Remove the access panel on the right (behind cruise control buttons) and remove the torx bolt.
8. Remove the airbag assembly.
9. Remove the center steering wheel nut.
10. Remove the wiring reel. Depending on the model of the hub, you might not need to do this. As far as I know all momo hub require removal of this.

To create a connection for the horn, find the wire lead to horn ground. And connect them to the back of the hub. U can use copper or other metal that u can find from battery places of remote controls or other items. Be creative. Sorry I can not help u finding the exact wire as I don't have the manual. I borrowed it last time when I need to do find it and can't remember now. U need the Electronic Manual, not the service manual to find this.

Good Luck,
Andrie

Oya, Do this at your own risk!!! I am not responsible for any discrepancies or mistake. Please check and recheck.

Good writeup Andrie. Two additional notes:

1. The short connector referred to in step 5 is red. That should make it easier to identify.

2. Always store a "live" airbag face-up with nothing on top of it. If you store something on top of it or store it face-down it will become a projectile if the air bag accidently deploys.

Andrie --

Were you able to preserve the cruise control functions as well?

Could the wire on the hub side of the steering console be tapped so that the cruise control buttons could be mounted on the dash?

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Can any one tell me how to remove the wire reel from steering colum?
I was trying to intall a momo hub for my new steering wheel but I was stopped by the wire reel.

U need to take the plastic covering the steering column off. There are 3 scres on the bottom and it should snap off. There are 3 screws in front securing the wire reel. And on the bottom there are 2 screws securing the wire harness (black). Then disconnect the wire harness with yellow connectors further down. Slide down the wire and that's it.

I'm going by memory here, so recheck for screws!!

What momo part # is there for the nsx!? I've bought two. neither of them are long enough for the steering wheel to clear the stalks on the side. $450 bucks in with no results!

Back