• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering Wheel Help

I'm trying to find out if you guys think putting leather conditioner on this will help or hurt. I don't really want to have my leather peel off, but I also don't want to just let it dry out either.
20130816_100256_zps97a8ae1d.jpg

20130816_100321_zps3b801cdb.jpg

Let me know what you think please. Thanks!

Last edited:
wanna hear a trick I was told but never tried it.

a buddy of mine had a BMW did the same thing so he got car bondo filled it in smoothed it out let dry. then he went back with black dye/ maybe shoe dye or something and you couldnt tell or feel it was any different than the rest of the wheel.

he may have sanded it lightly with fine sand paper. he said it lasted 15 years before it started again, then tree fell on the top of the car. no need to fix it after that

wanna hear a trick I was told but never tried it.

a buddy of mine had a BMW did the same thing so he got car bondo filled it in smoothed it out let dry. then he went back with black dye/ maybe shoe dye or something and you couldnt tell or feel it was any different than the rest of the wheel.

he may have sanded it lightly with fine sand paper. he said it lasted 15 years before it started again, then tree fell on the top of the car. no need to fix it after that

I think if he had to go back after the wheel again that he'd have more serious problems. (mental problems, that is.)

What do you guys think? Have you ever heard of anything like what Shawn is talking about?

do not put leather conditioner ESPECIALLY lexol on anything your bare skin touches alot.

the leather will crumble apart.

I use Wheelskins on all my steering wheels. I tend to have the cars for a long time and the Wheelskin is a high quality sacrificial. I think they look fine and they can be removed/replaced as desired without hurting the original steering wheel. The Wheelskin will cover/mask SOME damage but since it the leather is streched tight...some imperfections MAY show through. If that is the case...see reapairs above and recover with Wheelskin if desired.
http://www.wheelskinscover.com/?Click=24&gclid=CLCnruvGgrkCFdOj4Aodsg8AhQ

I usually use a mr clean magic eraser it has made all my steering wheels come back to life. For a few bucks its worth a shot.

Back