• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stereo & Keyless Entry Help!

eg9

Contributing Member
My 2003 only has a cassette player and doesn't have keyless entry. The dealership price for the two is quite high. Do any of you have any sources to where I could find these items at a lower cost. If it's like my Esprit, one could find it cheaper and better (aftermarket). I would LOVE to have an indash cd player but it looks like a tough job.

Anyhow... I'm extremely pleased with my Silver/Silver 2003 NSX This car is so smooth and put together really well compared to my 2000 Lotus Esprit. It doesn't have as much power but it is not too far off. I LOVE IT!!!!

Ed-

You can easily get the keyless option--there are people selling the units all the time--many do not like the NSX setup and make changes so the horn honks-lights flash etc..There are many options on the audio keeping the in-dash head unit or changing it all out including the speakers and adding an amp etc---see the many discussions on the forums here-in--people have their favorite subwoofers, tweeters, speakers, amps etc.

If you do not want to go to the trouble of taking out the dash, then the best way to improve the system is likely to add an amp and replace the speakers (stock ones have their own amps) and you can still use the head unit. You would add a CD changer which goes in the trunk--the stock head unit will run same-see your manuel----the wiring for same already runs to the trunk...

Also there have been some discussions about just using MP3 players hooked into the head unit somehow and if that were done everything could remain stock--the current CD changers also play MP3....many people don't like the stock sound of the car but if you have no problem with it--just do either/or in this paragraph.....When the stock speakers go bad you will hear pops or one will begin to fade out like my right side speaker, subwoofer and center tweeter have done----Bose will repair the speakers and sub for 75 each plus shipping --you have to pull the entire unit and send in....(my info on costs is current as of this week)---I don't know how the tweeter between and behind the seats operates--maybe they can fix that also but I have never seen mention of it....

jrehner said:
I don't know how the tweeter between and behind the seats operates--maybe they can fix that also but I have never seen mention of it....

The tweeter between and behind the seats is powered by the amplifier in the passenger side footwell. What usually fails is an amplifier, not a speaker. So there is usually no need to remove the tweeter speaker to fix it.

Thank u NSXTASY--answer a question and get a query of my own answered. Since my amp is basically shot on my passenger side that would explain why I hear no tweet in my speaker between the seats--I was thinking maybe it had an amp also...You are the first person to mention that this tweeter runs off the amp on the passenger side..

Just to be clear, Ken IS NOT talking about the amp in the left door, but the footwell under the carpet that also drives the sub woofer.

I only mention it since jrehner mentioned "passenger side":).

BTW: Is it really a tweeter in the middle? I was thinking it was like a "center" speaker, but not sure.

Thanks,
LarryB

Thank you guys for all the help. Yes pictures will be following soon..

The more I see my car the more I like the lines. I just have to say that I am VERY surprised that they couldn't have installed a CD player as a standard option. I am blown away by that. This car is amazing in so many ways but a cassette player??? Do they even sell them anymore??

Does anyone have any prices on a cd changer for it? What about keyless entry?

Thanks guys.

eg9 said:
Does anyone have any prices on a cd changer for it?

Look in the FAQ (that button on the red bar at the top of your screen) under Accessories - Sound System for information about compatible aftermarket CD changers.

eg9 said:
What about keyless entry?

What about it? You can get the factory keyless entry system from your dealer, or for $384.60 from A&H Motorsport, or you can join the NSX Club of America and get it at a 25-30 percent discount off list from one of the dealers who give discounts to club members. For aftermarket keyless entry systems, check with your local car stereo and auto security shop.

Thanks NSXTASY. So... does the NSX come programmed and ready for keyless entry and all I would need is a programmed button w/keychain?? Not sure the mechanics involved to access the keyless entry.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

eg9 said:
does the NSX come programmed and ready for keyless entry and all I would need is a programmed button w/keychain??

No. I believe the keyless entry system that you buy includes a module that you need to install inside the NSX itself, as well as one or two (?) remote units that you take with you.

eg9----see the Market forum--lots of people are selling these items on the keyless entry---there are numerous choices to be made on your audio questions--I suggest you do a search of audio, speakers amp etc or just browse thru the general question forum----it's not a fun job to take out the huge one piece dash to get to the stock head unit-EBAY always has people selling the Alpine CD changer that handles MP3---it would be the CHA S634--varies in the 200 range--a number of them on ebay currently.

On the amp location---I saw my post here might mean the passenger side speaker/amp rather than the sub and corrected that info in posting to another thread where that was of interest--AMP Question thread.....

Oh yes on the keyless entry--u need one for 93 on --the connectors were different prior to 93 I believe--they retail for about 370 but you can get them for less used as indicated...

Sounds great!

Time to go shopping.

Thanks again for the help guys.

EG

I had my NSX at the local Acura last week to have the keyless entry fob reprogrammed as the parts guy there told me was required. When I got the car there, the service tech said that the keyless entry for the NSX is programmed from the factory (Kenwood) and is not re-programmable. The only way to obtain new fobs is to provide the serial number of the fob and brain inside the car, as well as the VIN of the NSX to Kenwood through your Acura dealer and they can duprlicate the originals at a cost of $70 per fob. I am wondering if I should just buy a complete new unit which already has 2 fobs or risk ordering 2 new fobs only to find out that the brain inside the car is what has failed. Who has the best deal on a Keyless entry kit for a 1998 NSX?

ZR-1 NSX said:
I am wondering if I should just buy a complete new unit which already has 2 fobs or risk ordering 2 new fobs only to find out that the brain inside the car is what has failed.

...or, to find out that your parts guy was wrong and the "brain" is not a standard part of the car, but comes as part of the keyless entry system after all.

How much do you trust your parts guy? Hey, can you just buy two fobs from him for $140, and if it still needs a brain, make him pay for it and install it? :D

ZR-1 NSX said:
Who has the best deal on a Keyless entry kit for a 1998 NSX?

You could join the NSX Club of America and buy it from one of the dealers that offers discounts to club members, or you can buy it for $384.60 from A&H Motorsport.

Back