• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stick or Automatic

I am going to purchase an NSX (91 or 92) in the coming months and would like to know if there is a HUGE difference in performance of the stick over the automatic? (I know, why would anyone want an automatic in this car!!)any comments or suggestions are very welcome!

Well, while I have not ever had an automatic NSX, I understand they are very rare, maybe less so in the early years you are looking at. I struggled with this long and hard with my BMWs before they finally made the 740i in a 6 speed. If you are on the road most of the time or in stop and go traffic, or just like eating a burger and fries while doing either of these, then an automatic certainly seems more convenient.

Unless you are a real performance enthusiast, I am sure you can get a comparable level of enjoyment out of the NSX even if it has an automatic in it... maybe not a comparable level of performance, but at least a similar level of enjoyment.

I bought a '94 black NSX automatic in February. It's great, especially living in the Chicagoland area with all the stop and
go traffic.

Blackhorse6, there is a big difference between 91/92 stick and auto. 91/92
stick-270hp, 91/92 auto-252hp. Also the 91/92 stick doesn't have power assist steering the auto's do.

My NSX is an automatic and listening to Cds,talking on the hands free phone blasting through city traffic,with the power steering et al. It's the style and ride of your life.

Thanks for all the great comments everyone! I would like to know, those of you who have automatics, do you ever have trouble beating another car(ie. older vetts, 2000gt's and the like) off the line? I know there is a HP difference, but there is nothing worse than having a car that looks as fast as an NSX and then having it beat off the line! (my mind is almost made up!) thanks again all NSX'ers

After you've bought a couple of tires- you choose to drive on the high end and cornering, besides NSX's are so much cooler and far less common. Besides we are allergic to fiberglas.

Blackhorse6,
Take if from someone who was in your position not too long ago. Buy it NOW! I waited 5 years to go into business for myself. Once I did, I wondered why I waited so long. Now I have had my own company for 7 years and I wake up every day and thank God that I had the courage to make the choice.

My NSX purchase was much the same way. I made the mistake of borrowing one from a friend. Then I rented on when I was out in LA for a week. That was a huge mistake. I lasted 6 months before I had to have on. Now that I do, I don't want to drive anything else. I have driven everything from Vipers and Porsches, to Ferraris and even a Lamborghini. The NSX is simply the best car ever made.

Do yourself a favor, don't wait another minute. Buy it tomorrow. You will be glad you did... we all are.

Afterall, Automatic or Manual really doesn't matter. It is kind of like the old joke about Sex and Pizza. When it is good, it is really really good and when it is bad, it is still pretty good. Even if you get an automatic, it will still be an NSX.
wink.gif

Blackhorse6,

I'm with G-Man. Buy the '91 if it is a good deal, even if it is an auto. I have an auto and I'll bet I can beat 98% of the cars that wanna go up against me. So far, no one is willing to challenge me.

The only time you will wish you had the stick is when your friends tease you about having an automatic in an exotic sports car!

i have a 93 auto and other than some good natured ribbing from other nsx'ers have never regretted it..i commute a lot(20-25m yr) and ,gasp,use my car as a mobile office..the auto was the only choice for me..i use a mild nitrous system for the times when someone comes alongside and have no trouble with upholding the honor of the car...besides(heh heh)NO expensive clutch replacements..

Keep in mind the immortal words of Sun Tzu in the "Art of War":

"The best battles are the ones that are won before they are ever fought"

Do you really want to buy an NSX just so you can take on every Mustang, Corvette, and Porsche goof out there that didn't have enough sense or enough class to buy an NSX?

I started another thread about NSX vs. The World for good stories about who we did beat, but some of the better ones are the ones we let get away... because we already knew we were the one driving the NSX.
smile.gif

I try not to define my manhood by my 0-60 times.
smile.gif

I hate to tell you this, but neither a standard stock 5 speed 91 or 92 NSX or the automatic is going to be very fast off of the line (read that 0-60) and I am talking in relative terms (relative to torque heavy high HP monsters with low gearing). The tall second gear in the stock 5 speed will limit you every time at around 40mph. Now, if you are thinking of going (0-120) in a legal setting (of course) you will probably have some favorable results. Don't get me wrong. The NSX with a 5 speed is a great car. But it is not a great off the line dragger.

You have to get the car that you really want because if you keep the car for a long time you could regret the decision, like my mechanic who was impatient to look around some more and got an automatic instead of a stick. As for me I believe sports cars should be stick, leave the automatics to the Lexus drivers.

Blackhorse6, I just ran a comparison using 'cartest', a very sophisticated automotive performance analyzer. The results suprised me. A 91 5-speed did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and a 91 Automatic in 5.7 seconds. More importantly, for stop light drags, the 0-100 foot times were 3.0 seconds for the 5-speed and 2.9 seconds for the automatic! 0-500 foot times were equal at 7.7 seconds! If your concern is getting beat at a stop light, I would go with the automatic because the analysis assumes a perfect launch. That's tough with a 5-speed but easy with an automatic. I hooe this helps you.

I'll definitely go for the manual transmission. Not only because of the power difference, but also nothing could compare with the joy of shifting gears with a stick, not even the Ferrari sequential.

I think this one is a personal preference. As pointed out, I think the performance difference is slight and based on the lesser hp of the engine in the auto.

You do get torque multiplication from the torque converter so the better off the line times do not surprise me.

I always assumed that the NSX I would get one day would be a stick. I am happy with my automatic, but I'm also sure I would have been happy if the one I bought was a stick too.

It's a different experience. With a stick, you're more involved with the shifting acceleration aspects of the car and choosing the right gear for the conditions. I find with the auto NSX, I'm concentrating more on the handling and suspension. I don't think it's better or worse, it's just different.

Of course, if Regis handed me a check for a million, I might just need to have two NSXs. One stick and one automatic.

Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I always think a pure sports car should be manual transmission. Stick is always more fun to drive! My friend has an auto 996 and he always regrets getting it because he can't really keep up with me when we race.

Originally posted by dswartz:
Blackhorse6, I just ran a comparison using 'cartest', a very sophisticated automotive performance analyzer. The results suprised me. A 91 5-speed did 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and a 91 Automatic in 5.7 seconds. More importantly, for stop light drags, the 0-100 foot times were 3.0 seconds for the 5-speed and 2.9 seconds for the automatic! 0-500 foot times were equal at 7.7 seconds!

I'm curious how this software computes these times... What data does it use?

Back