• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

Truly.

Best to give up with this guy, it's like hitting our heads against a brick wall. :D

......or maybe he is cunning collector trying to shame you into lowering your prices....then swoop in.......:biggrin:

Anyone have any idea how much it depreciated due to a minor accident? It now has an accident on its carfax and prior paintwork. I'm not sure if the fender will be replaced or not. My guess is around 7-10k but I'm curious to hear thoughts here. I figure it has been bumped down from collector to driver status.

Sorry to hear about that. I believe I can help. I have tracked NSXs with reported accident history over the years. The average effect is -8% on value. For an NA2 Targa (Pop-ups) with 46k miles, that translates into about a $5-6k value reduction.

Just another noob chiming in to say thanks, RacerXwing, for this useful data. I've been stalking the right NSX for me for about a year (after a lifetime of Honda products), and finally found it this weekend. '98 Kaiser Silver 6MT with 28k miles that was lovingly maintained by its second owner for the last 18 yrs. Bone stock. All it needs is TB/WP. How can I message you the details for your data set? Thanks again.

Congratulations! I tried to Private message you but it seems that I'm unable. I believe you will eventually unlock the power to private message, if so that would be the best way. Thank you for your willingness to contribute to the dataset; I especially value data on NA2 NSXs as their sales are scarce.

Thanks, RacerX. Try my prime handle @ Gmail. And Neuron and John. I look forward to learning more about these cars with this community.

Sorry to hear about that. I believe I can help. I have tracked NSXs with reported accident history over the years. The average effect is -8% on value. For an NA2 Targa (Pop-ups) with 46k miles, that translates into about a $5-6k value reduction.
Thanks for the feedback. I very much appreciate the baseline and accumulated knowledge! If average is around 8% then I'm guessing I may be slightly higher than average. As an illustration, a 5-owner 100k mile car won't lower by the same % as a 1-owner 30k mile car as a prior accident won't be perceived as such a large factor in the former vehicle than the latter.

jrwrxjr - nice kill, sounds like an excellent find!

Congrats on your car. Kaiser is awesome. Post some pics!

Thanks! It was my third silver NA2 to inspect and test drive. All in different time zones. Kaiser is certainly awesome. Pics to follow (when I learn how)!

Even tho I sold mine last summer and bought a 981 Cayman S, I'm always sniffing around the usual sites looking for a deal....

Found one today that has been on market for 204 days and has price dropped $36K from original asking price

It's a minty red 1991 with 20K miles now down to $56,000 .... If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd be tempted to make an offer.

Even tho I sold mine last summer and bought a 981 Cayman S, I'm always sniffing around the usual sites looking for a deal....

Found one today that has been on market for 204 days and has price dropped $36K from original asking price

It's a minty red 1991 with 20K miles now down to $56,000 .... If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd be tempted to make an offer.

I got mine for $23k less than the original ask. After receiving my wife's approval.

I got mine for $23k less than the original ask. After receiving my wife's approval.

Where did you find it if you don't mind?

Yeah, the one I posted about seems to be the trend lately.....sellers are realizing they're not getting any offers at those overpriced asking prices... people went nuts for some of these cars in 2018-2019 , but lately the market has turned and there seems to be a sweet spot price wise right now for them.

If a 20k mile minty is down to a $58K asking price, what does that do for the 60k+ mile multi owner cars?

There are actually two at this price right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura...g:vHIAAOSwUCFd19wG&LH_ItemCondition=3000|2500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura...g:FAYAAOSwMvxdO-Mz&LH_ItemCondition=3000|2500

Wish I had $55K laying around right now

Is a correction coming soon to these prices?

Last edited:

Yeah, the one I posted about seems to be the trend lately.....sellers are realizing they're not getting any offers at those overpriced asking prices... people went nuts for some of these cars in 2018-2019 , but lately the market has turned and there seems to be a sweet spot price wise right now for them.

If a 20k mile minty is down to a $56K asking price, what does that do for the 60k+ mile multi owner cars?

I found mine on cars.com. Seller said he used car gurus, too.
I spend way too much time on BaT, and have learned a lot about the cars there. But I didn’t want to buy without a personal inspection, which is hard to schedule during a seven day auction.
A recent Hagerty valuation analysis showed a recent trend of increasing values of ‘minty’ #1 and #2 cars, while more worn #3 and #4 cars are losing value.
As a NSX noob, I learned a lot from my year long search, and each of my 3 test drives. But have no idea where the market is going. I realized I should love my car, and only buy it for that reason. Trusting that someone else will love it, down the road a few years.

Thanks for the informative analysis [MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION]! I just sold my 93 NSX and sent you a PM with the data. I had full price offers within a day of my listing, so the market seems pretty healthy. I wish I had more garage space so I could have kept it, but I'm glad someone else will be able to enjoy it. Cheers! :)

Thanks for the informative analysis @RacerXwing! I just sold my 93 NSX and sent you a PM with the data. I had full price offers within a day of my listing, so the market seems pretty healthy. I wish I had more garage space so I could have kept it, but I'm glad someone else will be able to enjoy it. Cheers! :)
Better to be used than to sit! I just viewed your listing, and your car was pretty good with recent TB/WP service. Average market would be around 40.5k according to the datasheet. Yours seemed better than average, so at 39k you were below what it was worth. That's not counting the nice modifications. Or the extra set of polished seven spokes. FWIW I just bought a set of the polished seven spokes (same as what you included with your car) for $2200 this morning. Factor them as worth another ~2000, and for your buyer it was a great opportunity to own a great car. Congrats on the sale, glad to hear it was clean and simple.

I don't think C8 will affect gen1 but gen2 market. I'm struggling to see who would cross shop gen1 and C8. If anything I would get both or depending on my needs one if that's all I can afford at the moment.

Who do you think would jump from gen1 to C8? Just don't see this happening on the scale that can affect anything.

c8 won't affect gen2 market either. Buyers are completely different.

Most of the gen2 owners may own a c8 as a beater, not as a replacement for the NC1.

Many gen2 owners also have gen1 nsx and can easily afford c8 as an extra car, if desired.

c8 won't affect gen2 market either. Buyers are completely different.

Most of the gen2 owners may own a c8 as a beater, not as a replacement for the NC1.

Many gen2 owners also have gen1 nsx and can easily afford c8 as an extra car, if desired.
May be true but not sure unless we see data on how many NCs were bought by first time NSX buyers. Given how few were sold it shouldn't be too hard to source.

Better to be used than to sit! I just viewed your listing, and your car was pretty good with recent TB/WP service. Average market would be around 40.5k according to the datasheet. Yours seemed better than average, so at 39k you were below what it was worth. That's not counting the nice modifications. Or the extra set of polished seven spokes. FWIW I just bought a set of the polished seven spokes (same as what you included with your car) for $2200 this morning. Factor them as worth another ~2000, and for your buyer it was a great opportunity to own a great car. Congrats on the sale, glad to hear it was clean and simple.
Thanks! I guess I may be a bit out of touch with the market, and I'm surprised to hear that it could be worth over 40k with the mileage and accident history, but I'm still happy with the result. I didn't want it to linger on the market as I have other projects to get to, so I tried to price it to sell quickly.

May be true but not sure unless we see data on how many NCs were bought by first time NSX buyers. Given how few were sold it shouldn't be too hard to source.

In our private NC1 owner's group there are quite a few first time NSX buyers for the NC1, and quite many previous owners like me.

We chatted about the C8, marvel at the hype. We love all cars, but we especially love the NC1 because we had to go seek it out to buy it. We weren't cross shopping the NC1 with every other car out there.

Like you said, there are not many NC1 owners out there, which makes it even more of a tight knit group. Many of the owners also own other super cars, and you should hear them rave about the NC1 in comparison even to the other super cars.

These are not the type of people who would be swayed by the C8 and give up on the NC1. The target markets for the c8 is very different from the NC1. I think the c8 will take a lot of market share from mustang, camaro, porsche, and various other mainstream brands until the hype dies down and it becomes just another corvette.

Thanks for the feedback. I very much appreciate the baseline and accumulated knowledge! If average is around 8% then I'm guessing I may be slightly higher than average. As an illustration, a 5-owner 100k mile car won't lower by the same % as a 1-owner 30k mile car as a prior accident won't be perceived as such a large factor in the former vehicle than the latter.

You're welcome!

I checked the data to investigate. The data does not show a significant relationship between the value effect of accident history and mileage (R^2 = 0.011 with 22 data points). There is a slightly stronger positive relationship between the value effect of a salvage title and mileage (R^2 = 0.046 with 28 data points).

If a 20k mile minty is down to a $58K asking price, what does that do for the 60k+ mile multi owner cars?

There are actually two at this price right now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura...g:vHIAAOSwUCFd19wG&LH_ItemCondition=3000|2500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura...g:FAYAAOSwMvxdO-Mz&LH_ItemCondition=3000|2500

Wish I had $55K laying around right now

I found mine on cars.com. Seller had it listed on car gurus, as well.
Here's a nice valuation analysis on Hagerty.com that shows increasing values of 'minty' #1 & #2 cars, while #3 & #4 are declining:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1998-Acura-NSX-3.2L?id=129114

Guess I won't drive mine as much as I originally intended!

Missed this lol
I'd bet money that "the guy selling cars" couldn't care less.
That's his job. Of course he cares.
Speaking from experience. Whether you flip cars or not has nothing to do with the fact that you are "getting fleeced," to use your words.
I didn't buy my car with the intention of keeping it limited to the lethargic behemoth of an engine in it. I got the car at a reasonable price, and have done with it what I want.
Your response truly demonstrates a lack of understanding about vehicle values and market dynamics. If you think that someone is going to pay the same amount after the accident as before, you are out of touch with reality. If you think that I will just let someone get away with devaluing my vehicle without seeking compensation for damages, you need to take a back seat. Thanks for trying to answer the question, but I'll wait for more useful advice, preferrably from someone like Sterling who understands car sales and how diminished values work. All the best.
Take it from whoever you want. It's in his interest to tell you that your car, with all bolt on body pieces, is worth less if you replace one of them. If the new bolt on fender that is paint matched to your car lowers the price of your car that much, then you should get a better body/paint guy, or step up and pay the dealership to do it.

......or maybe he is cunning collector trying to shame you into lowering your prices....then swoop in.......:biggrin:
LOL.
I don't 'collect' anything with selling it in mind. I intend to use everything I buy. Doesn't mean I don't know a deal when I see it.

I found mine on cars.com. Seller had it listed on car gurus, as well.
Here's a nice valuation analysis on Hagerty.com that shows increasing values of 'minty' #1 & #2 cars, while #3 & #4 are declining:

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1998-Acura-NSX-3.2L?id=129114

Guess I won't drive mine as much as I originally intended!
How many miles on it?

Just going back the last three pages or so, it is clear that higher mileage cars are not worth what people are listing them for. All I was saying.

How many miles on it?

Just going back the last three pages or so, it is clear that higher mileage cars are not worth what people are listing them for. All I was saying.[/QUOTE]

---

28k. I was kinda looking for a higher mileage car to go see my kids at school in the fall, but this one was too nice to pass up.

Last edited:
Sigh...

That's his job. Of course he cares.

I truly don't - if you took the time to look into my business, you'd realize I operate as a brokerage, meaning I make money on transactions regardless of whether the cars go up or down in value.

In this way I'm able to guide my clients truthfully, as compared to traditional dealers who get stuck with inventory and have to cut corners to stay in business.

I bought & sold NSXs years ago when I started, but I haven't "flipped" an NSX as a dealer since 2017.

Take it from whoever you want. It's in his interest to tell you that your car, with all bolt on body pieces, is worth less if you replace one of them. If the new bolt on fender that is paint matched to your car lowers the price of your car that much, then you should get a better body/paint guy, or step up and pay the dealership to do it.

This is literally the opposite of the argument you've been making. Going off what you've been saying, I should want all NSXs in the world to be worth tons of money.

there is a bit of adrenal quivering when someone responds to our posts on forums.....:wink:...imagine if all these online dating sites allowed real time posting/chatting by any member lol....

Last edited:
Sup y'all, this is my first post. I'm just hear to scope out the market for a NA1 and NA2 pre facelift. I got a little too excited this past weekend when i found a stock 95 up for sale in my city, 101K miles, $47k. I thought it was a decent deal since it seemed to be in pretty good condition (and stock is what i'm looking for) but others have told me that car should go for low 40's instead. Anyway, I plan to follow threads like this and browse Prime to get more acquainted with the car and market so that I can better determine a good deal when i see one in the future!

Sup y'all, this is my first post. I'm just hear to scope out the market for a NA1 and NA2 pre facelift. I got a little too excited this past weekend when i found a stock 95 up for sale in my city, 101K miles, $47k. I thought it was a decent deal since it seemed to be in pretty good condition (and stock is what i'm looking for) but others have told me that car should go for low 40's instead. Anyway, I plan to follow threads like this and browse Prime to get more acquainted with the car and market so that I can better determine a good deal when i see one in the future!

welcome...if you plot that 95 on the interactive graph ( many thanks to the author for that) you get a average hammer price of 47k so I don't know what you are saying about low 40's......asking price means very little but this data is of sales prices...

Back