• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

welcome...if you plot that 95 on the interactive graph ( many thanks to the author for that) you get a average hammer price of 47k so I don't know what you are saying about low 40's......asking price means very little but this data is of sales prices...

Thanks, I didn’t see the graph initially so I’ll take a closer look when I can jump on my computer.

its on page 1...

its on page 1...
yeah, i got that from your last post, thanks guy. If you want me to explain myself, i didn't feel the need to check the first post since this thread is about "Current" Market Analysis, so i purposefully only went back to October 2019 and read from there. Anything past the last 6 months doesn't really matter to me and is not what i would consider 'current.' If i had known OP had an updated graph linked in the first post, i would have checked.

Anyhow, a genuine thanks (again) for telling me about the graph. It's interesting, and i'll continue to review it, but from what i can see, it doesn't take into consideration region which is a major factor. Also, 8 out of the most recent 15 sales were from BAT, which we all know are inflated. So, if $47k is an avg hammer price based on this data, it seems quite realistic that "low 40's" is possible. IMO low 40's is anywhere from 40-43k. There can easily be a $4-7k variance if you start to consider region and maybe even remove that BAT sales all together. Not to mention the current economic climate, which is forcing some people to liquidate their cars when they otherwise wouldn't.

its on page 1...

Yes, I figured that out. I didn't see it at first because I only checked posts from the last 6 months or so. When I first browsed this thread I didn't figure to check old posts since the topic is "current" market analysis.

Back on topic though, that graph is good information. Granted i haven't spent a ton of time with it, but from what i can see, it does not take into consideration region and 8 of the latest sales were from BAT which we all know is inflated. If we are considering a car which the graph says average price is $47k then it's highly plausible that the car can be a "low 40's" car when region is taking into consideration and maybe even disregard BAT sales data as outliers. Not to mention the current economic climate where some people are being forced to liquidate their cars when they otherwise would not.

Anyway, it's all good info, anyone using it just needs to understand what is and isn't taken into consideration.
clip_image001.png

its on page 1...

Yes, I figured that out. I didn't see it at first because I only checked posts from the last 6 months or so. When I first browsed this thread I didn't figure to check old posts since the topic is "current" market analysis.

Back on topic though, that graph is good information. Granted i haven't spent a ton of time with it, but from what i can see, it does not take into consideration region and 8 of the latest sales were from BAT which we all know is inflated. If we are considering a car which the graph says average price is $47k then it's highly plausible that the car can be a "low 40's" car when region is taking into consideration and maybe even disregard BAT sales data as outliers. Not to mention the current economic climate where some people are being forced to liquidate their cars when they otherwise would not.

Anyway, it's all good info, anyone using it just needs to understand what is and isn't taken into consideration. :smile:

Welcome and I am glad you stumbled here to this thread. I hope you have found it helpful. Based on 12 1995-1996 Targas listed so far this year, the data suggests a listing price of $47000 to $49000 with 101k miles, so the example you found seems consistent.

You are correct that location remains one of the biggest unaccounted for factors and one can never have a full, complete understanding of all factors for all cars. I account for this prediction uncertainty by incorporating error bars on the value curves.

The "BaT effect" is in indeed real and quantified in section 1e. The 80 NSXs sold on BaT have resulted in +6.5% higher prices paid by buyers (including the buyer's fee).

As to the current economic climate, so far this year, I have seen some 1991-1994s sell consistent with 2019 values, some have sold consistent with 2016-2018 values. I have yet to see a discernible effect of COVID-19 on values, but recognize another limitation of only having access to publicly viewable sales.

I'm glad you were able to find value in my work and wish you luck on your NSX search.

thank you

[MENTION=32200]RacerXwing[/MENTION] thank you so much for all of your time and effort.... brilliant work..... i've spent hours looking at your google doc and it eventually helped me to make an informed and confident purchase. first time NSX owner here after 30 years of dreaming. NA2 Targa getting delivered this week hopefully.

@RacerXwing thank you so much for all of your time and effort.... brilliant work..... i've spent hours looking at your google doc and it eventually helped me to make an informed and confident purchase. first time NSX owner here after 30 years of dreaming. NA2 Targa getting delivered this week hopefully.

Thank you for the kind words! I'm happy that this project has expanded so much in scope to be helpful to the community. I love getting feedback like this. Congratulations on finding your NSX and welcome to Prime!

where is that darn "like" button...:biggrin:

I'll admit all the data on the spreadsheet is a bit overwhelming to me and it may be in there, but what is the general consensus right now as far as the best place to sell the NSX, BAT, Prime or online like autotrader or some where? It is a little saddening to say, having bought my same car back 3 times over now during the last 15 years, but it may have to go for sale soon, so I have been trying to figure out the best place to put it up.

miles and condition?

2002 with 57k miles. 6 registered owners but I am 3 of them since I kept buying it back. About 99 percent of docs on car since about 15k miles through the ownership. Don’t know first owner but driver door was replaced from what Carfax says was minor accident And Acura CPO’d after that . I am the 2nd owner, 3rd owner upgraded to lambo and I bought it back. Then I was 4th owner and 5th owner sold it back once they upgraded to 2017 NSX. So I ended up as 6th owner. I have a giant spreadsheet of all the history and work done but that’s kind of it in a nutshell. Id be happy to send it you to review to help guide me. I’d call it an 8 of 10. Most of the miles were put own during my first ownership. Thanks for input.

don't know if BAT has a exclusion clause listing with multiple sites but sounds like your car could be worthy,based on mileage.But in the end the venue with the most eyeballs wins...

Thanks. I believe they do since I remember somebody here saying that they couldn’t list it on BAT since it was posted here so it had to be removed.

From what I read about BAT, your car will not be listed if it is posted for sale on other sites or platforms.

BaT

if I ever sell my car i'll list it on BaT. There is a really strong NSX following and car will get lot of exposure. Recent sales have been bringing strong money. There is a good search feature on BaT to review prior listings.

Back after a few years of being dormant, almost bought a 96 with 10k miles a few years back.

I’m back in the market for a NA2 car, was trying to decide between the fixed and pop up headlight and for some reason I just love the pop up lights. Seems pricing for pop up headlight cars are less than fixed, does this mean they’re not desirable.

I’m looking at a stock 2001 manual with 40k miles, two owner car, clean Carfax. What should I expect to pay for it.

I follow the market fairly closely --- thinking a clean, stock, unmolested and no-story car of 2000 or 2001 with mileage in that range you are looking at somewhere between 75K and 95K. Think the important thing is to have all history documentation and provenance. Market seems to be strong for these types of cars. Jay

Thanks for the info.

That’s a pretty big spread, I’m assuming condition, color and maintenance records will dictate the where in that range the price will be. I was hoping to be on the lower end of that number but I guess I might have to budget a little bit more to get a more sorted car. Are the fixed headlight cars that much more desirable than the pop up headlights

Is timing belt and water pump required every nine years even if it was stored indoor with minimal mileage.

Last edited:
"Are the fixed headlight cars that much more desirable than the pop up headlights"

No, not necessarily (although I am biased). Lots prefer the pop ups.

Regarding you looking at a stock 2001 two-owner with 40K miles - what [MENTION=23367]jaybird[/MENTION] said above. If you can get into it at $64-70 K that's
a pretty killer deal... 2000 model year brought the perforated interior which looks so nice (and a couple other changes as I recall).
Production figures tell the story for 2001 - the last year for pop-ups - only 157 manuals for USA with 5 for Canada. So if you are a
pop-up guy the 2001 is the way to go.

Back after a few years of being dormant, almost bought a 96 with 10k miles a few years back.

I’m back in the market for a NA2 car, was trying to decide between the fixed and pop up headlight and for some reason I just love the pop up lights. Seems pricing for pop up headlight cars are less than fixed, does this mean they’re not desirable.

I’m looking at a stock 2001 manual with 40k miles, two owner car, clean Carfax. What should I expect to pay for it.

[MENTION=33163]agc23[/MENTION] we are going to see what a 2001 manual will bid to:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-acura-nsx-3/

JH4NA21661T000021

12,759 miles, KW V3's, two owner, Berlina/Onyx, recent TB/WP, a couple minor body bruises, PPF, all keys, etc.

Should be an entertaining auction!

Last edited:
[MENTION=12072]alum04org[/MENTION]

That one on BAT is nice as it has very really low miles and looks like timing belt was just done. The one I’m looking at will need timing belt/water pump and maybe steering rack.

Will be interesting to see where BAT auctions ends up

i agree the car on BaT right now looks legit. It should bring strong money. if I was the seller I would have put the stock suspension on and parted out the KW's offline. either way, I think he or she will do well. (PS- $6800 for paint correction and PPF???)

[MENTION=36954]CASCADE1[/MENTION]

I wonder if this car will hit six figures, it only has 13k miles and all service and maintenance was just recently done

Thought the same thing........ $6800 for paint protection and PPF ??? Seems quite high and I’m surprised he did the entire car. Most people I know do the front only

Last edited:
auction

if 2, 3, or 4 people all want the same car and have the money to spend I could easily that car going for 120k. I think the number of interested potential buyers is a huge variable (in sales terms.... timing and territory). I would guess that reserve is set at 90-95k.

@CASCADE1

I wonder if this car will hit six figures, it only has 13k miles and all service and maintenance was just recently done

Thought the same thing........ $6800 for paint protection and PPF ??? Seems quite high and I’m surprised he did the entire car. Most people I know do the front only

Back