• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sticky throttle pedal / ABS pump sound?

On my 96T the throttle pedal is sticky and you cant evenly apply or release the gas. I have taken the air intake boot off and cleaned the throttle body but still cannot seem to get rid of the jumpy feel. From what I can tell the throttle is operated by a motor correct?? and if so does this mean the motor is wearing out??

Also sometimes when first driving the vehicle in the morning I hear a pump which is loud in the drivers side front that I think is the ABS but after a short (100 yards) drive it goes away...?? This only happens first thing after the car has been sitting for awhile/overnight.

I would appreciate anyones help they have to offer or previous experiences!

Thanks,
Brad

I dont know about the stuck pedal, but the abs issue is very common. There are several threads about already. It is also in the FAQ section here:

http://nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm

It is not a problem, but the sound is alittle annoying. Mine does that too.

Regards,

Nate in DC

The ABS pump noise is normal. It is periodically charging itself from not being used anmd typically does this just as you say--ie after driving a few yards after start up. Some guys on Prime suggest "exercising " the system periodcally via stomping the breaks on wet or gravelly surfaces to force the ABS system to work. Also, the system should be serviced every couple of years. My '92 did the same exact thing until I had it serviced this year and it hasn't done it since.

The sticky throttle may indicate that the throttle cable/ linkages may need some lubrication. As a strart, try spraying some lube onto the linkages around the throttle body and pedal to see if that helps.

Remember this is a "Throttle By Wire" car, no cables:):).

Please describe your problem in more detail. Does the pedal actually stick in some position? Is the engine throttle response jerky? Do you seee the throttle plate get stuck??

HTH,
LarryB

Yes the throttle response is jumpy, and it is a drive by wire. With further investigation I think the throttle cable that goes out to the drive by wire sensor is whats worn, or the sensor may be reading improperly. I took the short cable loose from the sensor assembly and sprayed some 3M silicone spray into it and it seemed to help but I really dont know for sure yet until this bad rain passes. (shruggs) waiting for dry land!!

The throttle pedal is only connected to the throttle body by wire. However, there is a cable that runs from the pedal to a spring-loaded assembly (it has a plastic cover over it) with a throttle position sensor. This assembly can get sticky. Check the throttle cable and the spring loaded assembly to make sure it is lubed and there are no obstructions.

Regards,
-- Chris

Last edited:
Back