• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Subwoofer Under front hood, anyone seen this?

Has anyone seen this setup? Looks like a sub mounted under the front hood. I wonder if they had to cut through the firewall for the sound to go into the cabin? any thoughts?

Attachments

• car_lgphoto_nsx_box.jpg
    car_lgphoto_nsx_box.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 241
  • car_lgphoto_nsx_box2.jpg
    car_lgphoto_nsx_box2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 248
Must be a fake - photoshop - for starters it would totally kill the airflow through the radiator which would be my primary concern; not sure how that box would actually fit there anyway with the blower motor assembly, battery etc..
As for sound - totally ridiculous prospect - as I restudy the pic (not much to work with there!) it looks possibly like an inverted mount with the cone pointing into the inside of a plexi box - that would mean the driver side of the speaker would still have to access the car's interior - requiring the removal of the blower/evaporator etc.
Just seems totally unlikely as being possible.

I've actually toyed with the idea of doing this. Years ago I remember getting to sit in a GMC Syclone truck with a full blown audio system. It's basically an S10 truck and the owner put a box in the bed. The box fed the cabin by way of some ports that ran into the cabin. The box was tuned for this setup and it did not sound that bad. I think the setup in that pic is legit.

Yeah, I would say it could be real too. There was a company Sub Solutions that made a bandpass style box for the 911, it mounted up front and was ported into the cabin.

I've seen this same type of set-up on a 355 ferrari, it was also ported and it sounded pretty good. Would love to hear how this sounds in our cars, or better pics of the install. Would love to get back all the legroom we loose due to custom enclosures in the passenger footwell.

Back