• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Successful Oil Pan Change

Winkler, Manitoba, Canada - near Winnipeg
Firstly thanks to those who offered advice and Larry B for also shooting me out a PM for support.

I first tried this a month ago after reading the Wiki instructions, which sounded pretty simple. However, those didn't apply to a 2000.

I wanted to change it due to a small dent in the oil pan that was there when I bought it. Not because it affected anything, just wanted the NSX to be as perfect as possible. So bought the new pan and gasket from Tim P (thanks) last year and worked upt he courage to get at it.

I gave up on first attempt last month because it looked too complicated, however, with the help of a buddy I work with, and the hoist at work, we tackled it again.

In a nutshell, there are lots of steps in the repair sheets that assume an awful lot...like "remove oil pan"...pretty general statement, and lots to do that it never mentions...I guess to technicians, its just common sense what to do.

Basically, for my 2000 model, I had to remove the bracing that is like a big U shape near rear suspension. As well as some bracing that goes under gas tank and general area. Then remove bolts that hold on the cross beam on each side near rear wheels, then take out the motor mount bolt that is in the middle of the cross beam. There are several little cable clips and lines to get unhooked and out of the way. I couldn't actually remove the crossbeam altogether, as the tranny lines were in the way, but I could move it enough out of the way to work on unbolting the front header. Which is what has to be done to allow the oil pan to come off.

Toughest part was a heat shield which is bolted to the header ...the two bolts are basically heat rusted or something and brittle. Then once out, the heat shield itself is a B**tch to get out..a small tinny piece but wedged in that takes some patience and muscle to get free out of the way.

Once this is out, you unbolt the header , as well as where it bolts to the exhaust system on the other end. Once it is out, the oil pan just unbolts and comes right off.....(drain oil first )

Cleaned up the bottom of the engine, and reattached the new oil pan with gasket on it...(there are some spots to put some gasket adhesive as per the service manual) Then , put everything up in reverse order..including wrestling with that heat shield again, torque to specs, add the Amsoil and new filter, and your'e good to go. Two of us spent about 90 minutes start to finish doing this...but most of that was the figuring out which extension or tool needed to be used to work on a given bolt (motor mount for example)

Now that I see it done, I could do it again, but it is a bit intimidating to just look at it all for the first time and figure out how to get at everything.

That dent in the old oil pan is really small, and this weekend I will take it to a body shop and see if they can tap it out, and I will see if anyone wants to buy it on the for sale section.

Thanks again for the support....car continues to run like a champ...however, the ride home last night from work was probably the last of the season...best of all no drips on the floor this morning....nice!

Not all of us feel the need to I guess. Then you'll get other folks saying.. well.. if you've got it apart why not weld in bung and fittings to the pan?

Hand to forehead.

Here ya go...

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/scienceofspeed/oil_pan_baffle/

-

DOUBLE-FACEPALM.jpg

Last edited:
I did mine a few weeks ago and didn't bother to baffle it. I'll never track it so why bother.

Nah, didn't do it....first of all I don't weld, and secondly, this was purely a cosmetic change. Not needed for me or my driving habits...

When I first bought the car, It had a PPI done by the former owner, just to show the condition of everything in preperation to sell it...although it didn't mention a small dent in the oil pan. When I got it home, and had a Post PI done at my closest dealer, just for peace of mind, they went through it top to bottom, changed and flushed all fluids, and said the only thing they could find in need of repair was a small dent in oil pan. Due to where it was located, they said it would not interfere at all with the oil pickup ? and was just pointing it out to me as an FYI. They figured it was when the timing belt was done, and a jackstand or support was put in the wrong place and caused the slight indentation.

I figured I tried so hard, and for so long to find a "perfect" NSX (relative to year of car and budget of course) that why wouldn't I just change it for the couple hundred bucks for a new one...even got a new drain plug and crush washer with it...bonus...lol I just never realized that it would not be a "simple" oil pan swap, thats all.

I never track or even drive remotely hard....only have heard Vtec a few times (which is amazing by the way) but for the most part, its going to live a pretty subdued life with me.....My wife enjoys excitement as much as the next person, but I think jackrabbit starts, and really high speed scares her a bit, so no point in pushing that button. When I first met her, back in the 80's, I was getting more speeding tickets than you could imagine in my Prelude, so she kind of straightened me out ...been "clean" ever since...I am also a high school driver ed instructor part time, licensed by the provincial government, and there is pretty much a zero tolerance in keeping my certification if I get a ticket of any kind, especially a high speed one....like many things in life, just have to learn self control....lol

Following our recent Minneapolis road trip, where we drove 8 hours each way and spent the entire weekend in the car as our means of transport, I think she is starting to feel more appreciation for the car, it's fun side, as well as its somewhat practical and comfortable side (she slept 4 straight hours in it on the way home!)...so I am finally coming out of the doghouse a bit after all these years of first looking, buying, and upgrading it....life is good...and its true, the more you drive it, the more you want to drive it....sad week for me because now its put away for the long winter season, but I get to start detailing it again....spent two months off and on last winter polishing the suspension to almost a mirror like finish alone....I plan to do the contrast stiching this winter also....will do seats and see how that goes, then some of dash if looks ok. Already got the matching Silverstone thread....

(sorry to repond lengthy and off topic)

Back