• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Super Perigee Full Moon - Photos

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the moon was at its closest point to the earth tonight and it will be another 18 years for it to look like this again. Here are some shots as it rose.

1221900984_C9riC-XL-1.jpg

1221611934_TVEUS-XL.jpg

1221611987_YR6WV-XL.jpg

1221903891_7MuYL-XL-1.jpg

1221623950_cahtu-XL.jpg

1221624131_hfrPi-XL.jpg

1221924197_mDoyr-XL.jpg

1224231185_f6RJd-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I took some photos last night too and I was thinking of you. I knew you would put some great shots up here. I actually got some decent shots but thought I was having trouble because I couldn't get a 'black and white' moon I kept getting shots with an orange-ish colored moon and I thought to myself... RSO would know what to do here. I finally got a black and white shot but I had to do it by placing the moon in the upper corner of the photo, couldn't get the whole moon in any one shot without it appearing orange.

I'll put some up in a little bit. I would love to know what you think. It's my first real try so go easy on me if you can. :)

If you shot at moonrise they would be orange as in my shots. That low in the horizon shooting through pollution, etc. will result in the orange coloration. Certain colors get refracted off the dust and pollution in the atmosphere due to shorter wavelengths. Reds, oranges and yellows have longest wavelengths and make it through so you will get that orangish appearance low on the horizon when the moon is actually further away than when directly overhead.

The "black and white" shots would have been when it was higher in the sky after 9ish.

Last edited:
Nice photos RSO34. Those craters must have been huge. . . in your last pic you can see on the very top left and right some giant craters dent :eek:

If you shot at moonrise they would be orange as in my shots. That low in the horizon shooting through pollution, etc. will result in the orange coloration. Certain colors get refracted off the dust and pollution in the atmosphere due to shorter wavelengths. Reds, oranges and yellows have longest wavelengths and make it through so you will get that orangish appearance low on the horizon when the moon is actually further away than when directly overhead.

The "black and white" shots would have been when it was higher in the sky after 9ish.

Well that explains it. I thought I as doing something wrong. I have to admit, the more I learn the more, the more I like photography

Here is a link to pictures that other people took.
http://www.space.com/11178-supermoon-photos-2011-skywatcher-images.html

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the moon was at its closest point to the earth tonight and it will be another 18 years for it to look like this again. Here are some shots as it rose.
thx for posting those, bob - very cool!

Bob, what did you shoot the moon at,thanks Bill

When it was low on the horizon I used:

ISO 400
Shutter 1/250
Aperture 5.6
Lens 400 mm

As the moon rise higher, lost its orange glow and became brighter, I changed the aperture gradually, using 1/250 predominantly, and went up to F22.

Nice shots Bob. A bunch of us went down to the beach about 30 minutes before moonrise, it was pretty packed with people. Our photos came out nothing like yours of course :).

...........more luck than skill.........

Attachments

• IMG_3774.jpg
    IMG_3774.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3812.jpg
    IMG_3812.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 69
...........more luck than skill.........

Nice work there Steve. Glad to hear and see that you are gaining interest in photography. I am going to check your camera settings shortly to see what you were shooting and will post later in the event there is anything that you might want to change on future shoots. In the meantime, take advantage of any clear skies you have over the next couple of nights since it is actually easier to get a clearer shot of the craters when the moon is less than full.

EDIT: No exif info is available on your pics so I can't check your settings.

Last edited:

Pictures are great like always Bob and thanks for a unbelieveable screen saver:biggrin: That's worth at least 3 hats

Last edited:
Those are amazing shots...

The Moon.... born of the dust that was created in the impact between Thea and Earth. Billions of years later its gravity regulates the earth's spin, its rotation around the sun, and its change of axis... which created mild temperatures, created seasons, allowed life to happen.... and 4.5 billion years later what you are photographing is what allowed a guy named Robert Ondrovic to photograph it. You are in a way, photographing a primal mother.

earth_impact_moon.jpg

Last edited:
"We know the moon is made of green cheese but what if it were made of barbeque spare ribs?" "Would you eat it then?" "Heck, I know I would." "I'd come back for seconds and then polish it off with a tall cool Budweiser!"

-Harry Carry (Will Ferrell)

Back