• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

supercharged automatics

I know I've touched upon this on an old thread, but I have a very specific question:
Has anyone out there got a Basch or Comptech supercharger on a 3.0 automatic? I think it would work without modifying the transmission. I really don't want a drag racer, just more grunt. Thanks, and I promise I won't bring it up again, Lud.

There are several out there with CTSC. No autos with the BBSC as Mark is recommending against the pair.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 11 July 2002).]

why not nitrous? like 30-50 shot or even 75shot should be good. no more than that as u will really stress the auto. or calll level 10 and ask them to see if they can beef it up.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
There are several out there with CTSC. No autos with the BBSC as Mark is recommending against the pair.

Cheers,
-- Chris

What worries him? I would prefer an SC to nitrous though I will probably wait until my next NSX to add it... :)

As for the auto question. Why do you think you can't get a new one with a 3.2L and automatic trans? Because it can't handle the power produced by the stock engine. So just imagine what it would do with about another 100-125 hp.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

thanks for your input, guys. I'd like to hear from someone with the Comptech SC on an automatic. Anyone on this forum?

Didn't Larry at NSX Modified install a turbo on an automatic? I'm curious to know if they beefed up the tranny.

Originally posted by wilsonp:
What worries him?
In addition to drivetrain concerns (which can arguably be mitigated), I think the as-designed performance envelope (5700+ rpm) for the BBSC rules it out for the automatic (motor does not rev high enough).

As stated above, auto-box seems to work OK with CTSC, which IMO pushes its sweet-spot closer to street-usable ranges.

With the appropriate ECU/fuel management mods I suppose anything is possible
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by cojones:
As stated above, auto-box seems to work OK with CTSC

I don't take Comptech's quote as definitive. I doubt that they keep track of every car that has had one installed.

I believe Mark B mentioned seeing several (three, I think) automatics that had needed new trannies due to power mods - perhaps one or more of these had the CTSC?

Quite a few non-modified NSX auto transmissions have failed as well. Do we know if the owners were revving the car up to several thousand RPM with the brake engaged and then dumping the brake ala a drag racing start technique? Were they checking the fluid regularly? What is the symptom of an automatic that died from power-mods as opposed to hard use / abuse or just plain wearing out or failing?

Originally posted by Lud:
Quite a few non-modified NSX auto transmissions have failed as well.

Now I'm wondering if I avoided the snap ring issue for something more serious! :)

Quite a few non-modified NSX auto transmissions have failed as well.

They have??? I have not heard this before. Do you have more information on the cause, Lud?

Do people think that every stock automatic NSX built is still on it's original transmission??? Transmissions break, guys, and the NSX is no exception. It is a wear and tear part in a fairly powerful car.

There is not a known defect such as the snap ring on the old 5-speeds, they just go kaput, some earlier than others. How long they last depends on many factors, one of which is how it is treated. I know of at least half a dozen that are now lapping that great big racetrack in the sky.

Unfortunately Acura's standard response is to extend a big middle finger to anyone attempting to repair their NSX transmission, manual or auto. Acura's $olution is to sell you, faithful customer, an entire replacement transmission at a cost comparable to a nice mid-90's Integra.

Almost no Acura dealer service centers have a true mechanic on staff (instead, most employ "technicians" who basically just know how to use standard tools and follow a flow-chart), so they are not able to offer you the option of repairing a transmission instead of replacing it. Even fewer will work on an auto tranny - even some of the few "nationally known" Acura service centers which specialize in the NSX and who buck the Acura party line and work on manual transmissions will not touch an automatic.

P.S. No, I have never had a transmission problem so this is not sour grapes. I just think Acura's policy of replace-instead-of-repair on the second most expensive subsystem in the car (after the engine itself) is pathetic.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 12 July 2002).]

Come on, Lud - tell us how you REALLY feel.
biggrin.gif

If it were happening as frequently as you describe, I would think we'd see it coming up a lot more often on NSXprime... I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it sure isn't something you hear about a whole lot.

As far as the level of Acura service, some dealers are better than others. We know that yours is not one of the better ones. There are others whose NSX techs are "mechanics" (per the distinction you're drawing) and can be as creative as needed to solve a problem. Usually, a dealership has techs whose range of experience varies, and if they're service-oriented, they put the most experienced ones on the NSX and on difficult problems, and let them train the less-experienced ones when the latter are not doing oil changes, brake jobs, valve clearances, and other routine procedures. If you live in a city with multiple dealers, ask around to get a recommendation for a good one in your area.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 July 2002).]

I have driven an automatic with the CTSC. It was installed by Kevin Stump (a great local mechanic) for Jim D in Washougal, Wa.

The car is much faster than my 91 / 6spd, and the tranny seems to be holding up fine. The car is seldom driven, but when it is it is driven VERY hard.

On the other hand, the car is very well maintained! I know Jim checks the fluid and has is changed out frequently.

Most of the problems with the car since the SC was installed have been fuel/CPU related. (A miss / a valve on the bottom of the SC)

Jim has put about 10k on the car since the CTSC and it is still running strong.

I wish I could give more detail, but it has been over a year since I drove the car.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

nsxtasy -

I did not say how often it was happening. I said I personally know of 6+ failures. These are owners I have talked to and helped find alternatives to paying for a full replacement. I hardly think that is a high number - I've talked to more owners who have sufferd a catastrophic engine failure and we all know the NSX engine is quite reliable. Ask Mark Basch - I have referred at least two, maybe three to him. I do not remember the exact number of autos because I have also referred some manual transmissions from all over the country to him when people were unable to obtain repair work from their Acura dealer. Not everybody posts to the forums - many people e-mail the feedback address for this website.

As far as Acura dealers, certainly some are better than others but the transmission issue at hand has nothing to do with the incompetence of my local dealer. The standard operating procedure, encouraged by headquarters Torrance, throughout the Acura dealer network is to not work on transmissions. Only a handful of dealers in the country have chosen to ignore that guideline and actually work on NSX transmissions, and of course a few independents like Basch Acura and NSX Modified also work on them.

So I stand by my statement that the Acura policy of replacing instead of repairing NSX transmissions is CRAP. If you disagree, that is fine. But if you can name more than 5% of Acura dealers that have worked inside a manual NSX transmission or more than 1% that have worked inside an auto tranny, I'd love to hear who they are so I can refer people to them instead of telling them ship their transmissions across the country for repair work!

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 12 July 2002).]

if you can name more than 5% of Acura dealers that have worked inside a manual NSX transmission or more than 1% that have worked inside an auto tranny, I'd love to hear who they are so I can refer people to them instead of telling them ship their transmissions across the country for repair work!

Well, I know that at least 30 percent (3) of the 10 dealers in the Chicago-Milwaukee area have worked inside a manual tranny, replacing gears and synchros and snap rings and such. I can't vouch for the seven I'm not familiar with.

And I don't know whether any or all of those have worked inside automatics. I haven't needed to ask.

Thanks NSX PDX, my local mechanic seems to think it would be OK but hasn't seen the exact combination of CTSC and 3.0 l auto. I personally would think that supercharging would be safer than nitrous. I think I'll try to talk with Comptech personally.

Back