• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Switching from R-12 to 134a

I believe most people when doing a home a/c conversion on their car just vent the R12 it into the atmosphere and don't give a darn.

D'Ecosse said:
Does it do what they say - i.e. will actually cool better than either R12 or certainly 134a?
Are there any other replacement R12's that are worth considering? There are a ton of them out there!

When I installed AC into my Civic, I used a product called Autofrost X7. It was the only high performance R-134a substitute I could find at the time. The car never had anything else in it but the guy who charged the system said it was freaking cold. He was didn't believe it would be any different than R-134a. My friend's often commented out of the blue how cold the AC blew. X7 was replaced by X8 and X8 is supposed to be better.

One other thing I wanted to add is that the prices that the auto parts stores charge for R-134a cans is way expensive compared to Walmart. So if you buy the little charge cans, go to Walmart.

D'Ecosse said:
Any comments on Freeze 12 as alternative to R134a conversion?
My NSX is factory 134a but am considering what to do with my ZXTT.

Supposedly no seals or anything to change - you're not supposed to mix (federally mandated) i.e. just top up, although I seem to recall the old ads saying it was completely compatible. They do sell kits for switch-over.
Mine was topped off last year with Freeze12.
Still works.

A/c systems should NOT need to be "topped off".
It indicates a leak.

Last edited:
Please note error correction in my last post. A/C systems should not need topping off is what I meant too type.

As for venting the r12, I have two recovery machines so it never happens here.
In NYS when you renew your repair shop license they very pointedly want to know if you do A/C work and want to make sure you have recovery machines.
You need MAC certification to buy 30lb. tanks of refrigerant.

zahntech said:
That's just stupid...R12 is very expensive!

Irresponsible. It's just like pouring oil, antifreeze or other pollutants on the ground.
I am SP2 certified and we recycle and or recover EVERYTHING.
Metal, plastic, oil, antifreeze, cardboard, switches, batteries, solvents, fluorescent lamps, 134a, r12, filters, to name a few.Even the water we wash cars with must be recovered and processed unless you have a municipal water reclamation/recycling/processing center.
The DEC don't play.

Back