• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Synchro Mesh vs new honda White cap

I'm running Torco RTF sans friction modifier and the diff seems to be working fine.

Perhaps u can give that a try first.

There are 2 friction modifiers: Ford and GM type. I think the GM type is better suited for our diffs based on the success of the GM syncromesh or even better, Amsoil Syncromesh

So the notchiness is like when I try to shift from one gear to the next, it's kinda hard to get it out of the first gear or put it into the next gear, especially right after getting off engine load? I thought that was due to tight shift linkage that needs some adjustment?

I don't experience any of this "difficult to shift" notchiness in my S2000. I can practically be making the shift while I press the clutch. I have to be a bit more patient with the NSX, making sure the clutch is fully pressed down first before I even think about shifting. *shrugs* Sometimes it's not so bad as other times. It's kinda hard to describe, so maybe when I see you guys at a meet I'll have a list of "have you experienced this as well" NSX questions. lol

Last edited:
So since my 3rd gear started to grind when the clutch was hot, I flushed out the Redline MTL and replaced it with the Torco RTF. Honestly, don't feel any difference and same clutch grinding. Probably my synchros going bad :(

i used a 50/50 ratio,shifting is very smooth

I was searching for the GM MTF parts numbers and found this thread.

After using the GM synchromesh blend on my '92 5-speed with the clutch-type LSD for about 40k miles, then Amsoil MTF for another 20k miles, then finally Honda white-cap MTF for about 5k miles, I can assure you that IS NOT the case. Perhaps that other NSX had some issues to it, but it shouldn't have been because of the GM MTF.

My LSD breakaway torque is on the high side of the SM spec, and all of my LSD clutch discs measure basically brand new... even with 128k miles total on the transmission.

See post 21 of this thread for proof:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...rs-or-high-mileage-ones?p=1954314#post1954314

I'm putting GM Synchromesh back in. The transmission works the best with that fluid. Synchros are smooth as butter in all temps, there is apparently zero effect on the LSD function, and it is a synthetic blend that seems to last longer than Honda white cap MTF. The only downside is that it costs more, but it's a no-brainer to use it.

To enlighten a long mystery, Mac Attack has taken apart his transmission and LSD and saw the clutch packs were not heavily worn. You can see the measurements in the link above.

Back