• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Synchromesh - Will it hurt the limited slip?

Random thought, since the transmission/rear diff/limited slip are all in the same housing with the same oil, will synchromesh transmission oil mess anything up?
Specifically the limited slip, would it cause premature wear or no?

A topic talked about quite frequently here. A search will yield many many opinions. Most, including myself, use the Honda White Cap stuff.

If anything, I think it may just render your LSD a bit less effective due to added slippage.

I ran Amsoils synchromesh for 2 years with no ill effects, but mind you, it was also very little mileage as well. I love Amsoil products. If they made syrup, it would be on my pancakes. I'm back with the Honda oil because while on the Amsoil bottle it's claim for Honda, it also says not for LMT slip.

A topic talked about quite frequently here. A search will yield many many opinions. Most, including myself, use the Honda White Cap stuff.

If anything, I think it may just render your LSD a bit less effective due to added slippage.

Yeah, I know people talk about synchromesh for transmission shifting smoothness, but I haven't found any threads questioning the impact on the factory LSD.
Most of the cars people are coming from don't have the LSD sharing oil with the transmission I would assume, so people probably don't think about it.
Syncromesh has friction adders in it, right?
The NSX uses multiple clutch plates in the LSD. My assumption would be the friction adders would create more wear?

I don't know though?

I'm not sure about premature clutch wear, but I'll assume they will slip more thus both wheels will not hook as intended.

Yeah, I know people talk about synchromesh for transmission shifting smoothness, but I haven't found any threads questioning the impact on the factory LSD.
Most of the cars people are coming from don't have the LSD sharing oil with the transmission I would assume, so people probably don't think about it.
Syncromesh has friction adders in it, right?
The NSX uses multiple clutch plates in the LSD. My assumption would be the friction adders would create more wear?

I don't know though?

I'm certainly not an expert but from bench racing all these years I don't think premature wear will occur. The LSD prevents the wheel with lesser traction from spinning so it'll "grip" less so less wear? I don't know.. It's Friday. Don't ask me these tough questions :)

Back