• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

T roof panel questions

Regrettably, I was doing some clean up on the NSX getting ready for winter storage (the storage location is about 20 km away so always better to make the move while its dry rather than snow on the ground and then having a wet car under a car cover). I had the T roof panel off to clean and lubricate the gaskets and while it was off, I noticed a couple of things.

First. The interior garnish around the roof release latches has some surface scratches. It appears to be from somebody's long fingernails and made during releasing the latches. What is odd is that I had assumed that these interior pieces were black ABS like most of the other interior plastic pieces. However, they appear to be a beige plastic / composite material that is finished off with black paint. Honda calls it real black in the parts listing. I would like to refinish the pieces; however, I can find no paint which claims to match real black. Just about every other black; but, no real black. Does anybody know of a source or a match for real black. Related to this, does anybody know whether you need to use an adhesion promoter with whatever the beige material is?

Second. The front and rear edges of the roof panel appear to have a couple of strips of what look like paint protection film. Mine are getting a little ratty so I thought I would plan for replacement. Checking the prices on the discount part suppliers I discover that each of these strips is $60.41. I know that these are precut to fit; but, that seems a little bit much. I can get a 4 ' roll of 3M Pro PPF for around $20. Has anybody replaced these strips? Are they anything more than just heavy PPF?

I would like to be able to offer some decent advice to your questions Old Guy, as you have given so many of us on here such great advice with countless issues over the years. Unfortunately I don't have a solution to either of your questions. My top also has a bit of the tape getting ratty in a couple of spots also, so I hope someone will respond with some recommendations .
I'm thinking Joe, at Vince's Auto Body might have some ideas for both of your issues. I expect he has seen this kind of wear and tear on more than one NSX.

Back