• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tacometer drops then TCS light comes on...please help!

I have had my '93 since March and about 2 months ago I have been experiencing the following: After driving for just a minute or two on the street, there is a power "dip" (almost like a lurching motion) then the TCS light comes on immediately, even if it is turned off! The light stays on and the lurching continues maybe 3-4 times and then stops, until I turn the car off and then start it up again (again even if I turn the light off before I even move).

I took it to Acura Auto Wave in Huntington Beach, CA and they couldn't figure out what the heck it is.

Has anyone ever heard of this kinda thing? THANKS

There must be a code being thrown . Do a code check as a first step. Did the dealer check the codes?
I had a similar problem with my '92 over a year ago. In my case both the TCS and ABS lights would come on. It turned out to be a bad wheel sensor.

Definately pull the code. Jump the service connector and count the blinks of the TCS light.

This should tell you where the problem is. I would tend to agree with Doc308 about a wheel speed sensor, but a little surprised you do not have an ABS light also.

Let us know the code:).

Regards,
LarryB

gerri03 said:
Guess what? Me too: Replaced the main relay...PROBLEM SOLVED! You were right! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know it solved the problem :smile:. The main relay should be in the top 5 issues on the earlier NA1's along with window regulators, snap ring etc .

I had to find out the $$ way :redface:

It's located behind the firewall panel behind the passenger seat, just barely to the left of the rear amp housing. To get at it, remove the long panel which is at the base of the rear window; then remove the panel behind the passenger seat. It's labelled " Mitsuba Relay Ass'y, Main" and is held in place by a single 10mm bolt. There are two electrical contacts located at the bottom of it.

I had a similar problem with my tcs light coming on and the car could not accelerate. It felt like the rev limiter coming on early, like 4000 rpm. I ordered a new main relay. when it arrived, I tried resoldering all the connections on my old relay. The problem went away. I re-installed the new relay and keep my old one as a spare in my glove compartment. Good luck!

g

Back