• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tail light lens cleaning

Has anyone used any product to polish their tail light section, and how has it worked. My 96's are a little dull as I have 76,000 on the car, and my son in law's 98 with 20,000 of course are almost perfect. Just curious what you all might have used and how it worked if at all.

Know some product for plastic clear headlight lenses is out there, but would hesitate to use unless I asked the group first.

As always, you guys are a volcano of ideas and help to a new guy. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Warm regards,
Don

I just did my tail lights on my 91 this past weekend which has 148,000 miles. Mine were beat even contemplated buying new ones, saved a lot of money for trading 30 bucks and about 1/2 hour of time.
I bought a headlight polish repair kit, that came with 3 different grits of sandpaper and a small foam polish pad with backing pad that fits on any cordless drill. 3 stage sanding job, I actually polished the lights with a full size buffer with three different polishing pads. 1st step compound ( light grit ) with cutting pad, 2nd step polish with medium course pad, 3rd step finish polish with finishing foam pad then sealed em with paint sealant. Worth your time for sure.
Bob

Sleek
Thanks for the response. Just what I was looking for. I had been looking at the headlight kits and doing some wondering.
Warm regards,
Don

Sleek...
Did you remove the tailights for the polishing or can this be done with them still on the car?
Thanks -Robert

Sleek
Thanks for the response. Just what I was looking for. I had been looking at the headlight kits and doing some wondering.
Warm regards,
Don
Your welcome Don, one thing is you really don't need to go to town during the sanding process, I probably spent less then 2 minutes on each sanding stage with more attention with the use of the latter two grades of sand paper and again mine were beat got the nicks and gouges out.. If yours are just dull and not full of scratches, you may want to try the medium and fine grade sand paper and see if that does the job for you.. Hope this helps you!!!
Bob

Sleek...
Did you remove the tailights for the polishing or can this be done with them still on the car?
Thanks -Robert
Robert I already had my taillights out due to completing a repaint on my car. You can do them on the car for sure just a little more clean up afterwards.
Bob

Back