• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Targa Conversion

I have a 91 nsx with the 02' marga hills upgrage..5k sound system.among other things...I only wish it was a targa..

Is there anyone that has converted their pre-95 nsx to a targa? I was planning on using oem parts from a targa..not simply chopping and retrofitting the current top..what are the pros and cons...would the loss of rigidity be that significant? Thank you..

I would love to talk to someone who has done it..

with $$$$$, anythings possible...

I'm pretty sure you invested a good amount of money in your ride and you don't want to give it up...so that leaves out the "sell yours and buy a NSX-T" option...Personally, I wouldn't do it....but, good luck if you do decide to go with it...

Ok...i just found the recent post regarding the T/Targa/Porsche issue...whatever...

Who has done it...and if i wanted to sell my car and upgrade to an nsx-t ...how much will it be worth..

1991 NSX (salvage)
Body and interior is 95% flawless.. AC doesn't work...don't know why..car run and handles like new.
117K miles
New OEM Clutch
System Alpine D300 indash touch screen-dvd, alpine ipod interface, carbon fiber console, 12" jl in footrest, canton ($1000) component, ppi 4125
Marga hills front bumper, side skirts, 02 lights, 8000k Hids, carbonfiber 02 hood, WW rear skirts, 19" konigs

speedyizzy said:
Ok...i just found the recent post regarding the T/Targa/Porsche issue...whatever...

Who has done it...and if i wanted to sell my car and upgrade to an nsx-t ...how much will it be worth..

1991 NSX (salvage)
Body and interior is 95% flawless.. AC doesn't work...don't know why..car run and handles like new.
117K miles
New OEM Clutch
System Alpine D300 indash touch screen-dvd, alpine ipod interface, carbon fiber console, 12" jl in footrest, canton ($1000) component, ppi 4125
Marga hills front bumper, side skirts, 02 lights, 8000k Hids, carbonfiber 02 hood, WW rear skirts, 19" konigs
prolly about $17k, my WAG.

Since it's a salvage, it may not be that bad to cut the top off. YMMV.

what's the VIN #? Is it in snap ring range? :tongue:

Aside from the rigidity factor, Im thinking the cost of fabrication would be astronomical. MIG welding aluminum is a costly endevor. If an open top NSX is what you want then you could always take the MH and 02 conversion off and reinstall it on a 95+. If you decide to jump in feet first then keep up posted with lots of pics!!! And the best of luck to you. :biggrin:

17k!!?!? wow..wasn't expecting that..i bought it stock for 19k...i've never seens stock salvage NSXs go for under 18k..

If i can't get more than 20...I will keep this car forever and bury it with me :p

Attachments

• x.JPG
    x.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 321
speedyizzy said:
If i can't get more than 20...I will keep this car forever and bury it with me :p

I agree 100%, that is a nice looking car, I wouldn't risk cutting the top or selling it for a low price. Salvage or not that is a good looking nsx.

I wouldn't do it. I think this would seriously hurt the resale value. In addition, you would lose the body stiffness the coupe has and probably have to deal with other unforeseen issues. IMHO, Don't do it.

Last edited:
I know that newport convertibles (NCE) in california made a targa conversion for the nsx. They are the same company that did the convertible conversion on the nsx that most people here seem to hate. You might check with them for a quote or info.

Before you're burned at the stake: [Arnold Voice] "IT'S NOT A TAAAGA!" [/Arnold Voice]

I believe I recall safety concerns regardling front window collapsing in accidents in a previous thread. You might want to check that out

speedyizzy said:
so how much would the car be worth...i refuse to believe 17k...if thats the case..top is getting chopped..is there any roll cages out there for NSXs..
Your NSX may be worth more, or it may be worth less. Since it's such a unique vehicle (salvaged, AC not working, souped up sound system), it's impossible to tell for certain.

It's worth what ever people are willing for it, which may be very little or more than what you are expecting.

Your NSX looks nice. I wouldn't convert it to a Targa, but that's just me.

dude just leave it. i think your car looks good.
I have a targa and i hardly remove the top.

IMHO your cars looks great but looks like the rear need a lil work (lil too high) to blendin with the bodykit/ maybe an 02+ or a rear diff. :smile: and your all set

Back