• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tell me about a good value for the $$ helmet for NSXPO HPDE...

Naturally, I wait until exactly one week prior to the day to start my hunt.

What are you wearing, where did you get it and are you happy? (With the helmet, not life. But, it is good to be happy with life, too.)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ZSC-H748001L

I used this at my first HPDE a few weeks ago. It was true to size in my experience and overall comfortable and works with glasses, but it has fairly thick padding so if you have less than 2-2.5" of space between your head and the roof you won't fit in the car without scraping up your headliner and being uncomfortable (also not safe to have your head smashed against the ceiling). I barely fit in my Integra (the car I drove at the track) with that helmet, I'm not even close to fitting in the NSX with it on. I'm 6'1" and fairly long-legged for reference.

Last edited:
Can you rent a helmet there?

If you're unsure that you'll continue track days (small chance - it's addictive), then I would just try to rent.

Otherwise, if you want to buy, the best thing to do is go to a local store and try them on. They all fit differently, and you really need to spend 20 minutes at a time with one on your head to determine if the particular pressure points are going to cause you any uncomfortableness at the end of a 20 minute session. There's a bunch of good entry helmets in the $300 range. It all depends if you want open/closed, style, color, etc. Just don't overlook the fit aspect you can only get when wearing a helmet for 20 minutes at a time inside the store. :biggrin:

don't cheap out on a motorcycle helmet it may not pass muster with various clubs...

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com

They're in New Berlin, not far from the freeway ( I-94 ) west of Milwaukee. They will be open Tuesday the 5th, plenty of time to stop before you head to RA. They have a lot in stock so you have a good chance to find one. Yes, test fit. Suzie or Bart at the counter will get you set up. Bell makes a nice SA2015 helmet in the $400 range but there are others.

Thanks all. Not planning on "cheaping out" - but also don't need a $1K paperweight.

I like the Pegasus idea. I need to drop something off near AoB anyway...so this might be the ticket.

Thanks all. Not planning on "cheaping out" - but also don't need a $1K paperweight.

I like the Pegasus idea. I need to drop something off near AoB anyway...so this might be the ticket.

If you are driving up to RA on Tuesday I will be schlepping a rental from Ohare....

yes I got excited about the avis 30% off first timers discount...so I be rockin a stang....what should my route be...I should be getting in early at around 8:30..

I would reach out to Rich Drewek (try FB) or Brylek (Paul) here. They know the sneaky, back-road routes. Me, I am taking interstates there to maximize my work day, etc.

I am a straight up highway man myself.....I'm too type A for scenic route.

Back