• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The infamous newb cannon kit

Autocross1.jpg
Destination

WP_20140511_11_38_02_Pro.jpg
Stress Testing the wastegate

WP_20140618_19_12_59_Pro.jpg
Finished the pipe to WG

WP_20140614_14_23_54_Pro.jpg
Planning WG placement

WP_20140614_12_42_59_Pro.jpg
Mr.Pug doesn't see anything wrong it.

Parts list:
-700$ Precision/Garret 6262 .83 BB turbo
-150$ GodSpeed china 60mm wastegate
- 50$ Greddy BOV
-150$ TruBoost controller
-150$ Innovative wideband MTX & AF Guage
-120$ emusa Universal Intercooler Piping kit
-150$ STS scavenge pump
-50$ Civic front mount intercooler ( used )
-150$ RC 450 Injectors ( used )
-750$ FIC Aem - Harness
-60$ Turbo Blanket (cx racing )
-50$ Black heat wrap ( DTH )
-15$ Black High temp Silicon spray
-30$ ebay Turbo fittings and braided hose
-50$ Two VBand clamps ( CXRacing ) one of which is the wrong size 3" if anyone needs it
-150$ SOS Walbro 255 pump
-70$ 5 foot Vibrant 304 Stainless
-10$ Muffler hangers for turbo mount
-30$ Steel bar from home depo for turbo mount
-35$ laser cut t3 flange and gasket
-20$ two mild steel U mandrel bends
-15$ regulator for testing wastegate
-15$ 6.8mm fuel line vacuum hose.
-10$ various sqrews and clamps from home depo

Tools
-70$ Step up drill bit and 2" hole saw
-30$ mastercraft grinder
-15$ ancient dewalt 14" cutoff saw
-25$ two cut off blades.
-60$ refill of argon and co2
-500$ 50amp, 160 Welder
-70$ bench grinder
-10$ Set of shitty wrenches
-3$ rubber mallet
-20$ .023 welding wire
-70$ Welding Helmet auto darkening
-20$ Welding gloves
-150$ Welding lessons which were clearly a waste.

30$ pepsi max, beer and Tim hortons coffee.

1000$ pug food.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 779
Ur wg angle even worst then angus kit. Hopefully 60mm wg is big enough or that na custom exhaust that give u enough back pressure to control the boost

Real stress test:

Not saying mine is the best, but why go on the inside of the bend? Especially considering you were so critical of the APX kit. Here is mine, it's on the side of the bend, I think we could have gotten a bit better, but it holds 6psi no creep and no complaints.

335093_10151159442951063_904785375_o.jpg

Thanks this is great info. This would have been a better setup to copy but I guess no matter how much you plan you can always do it better the second iteration.

For that WG test, did it melt at the end? It actually seemed to hold up ok but maybe I missed something. I was thinking of welding on a big aluminum heat sync to the back just for piece of mind and the entire hot side is wrapped so I didn't expect it to get glowing hot ever, that would be like 1000 degrees I would guess and I'm hoping that is kind of unrealistic given that there will be a lot of air flow under the car?

I originally wanted to put wg port on the outside of the bent where it could have the perfect angle but then I changed my mind and went inside so I could put the wg exhaust back to the muffler. Also the wg is fairly massive and I kind of like it better than the turbonetics one I have which surely would take more heat but I didn't see that as such an issue. I imagine the muffler will not have much backpressure because it is essentially a straight tube with perforated mesh. I'll send you some more pics in a couple weeks. I have a 5psi spring I would imagine that if it doesn't hold the boost steady it will be pretty apparent from the dyno?

When I had a BBSC put on my car, it came with 440cc injectors. At a bit under 7psi, they were at 100% duty cycle. Have 750cc now, much happier. If you're not going to go above 6-7psi, you will probably be out of the danger zone, but not optimal even there.

I was thinking of welding on a big aluminum heat sync to the back just for piece of mind and the entire hot side is wrapped so I didn't expect it to get glowing hot ever, that would be like 1000 degrees I would guess and I'm hoping that is kind of unrealistic given that there will be a lot of air flow under the car?

Now that I'm done having a spasm over "heat sync" and "piece of mind"...

If you're really concerned about the WG melting and are counting on underbody airflow to cool it off, you might be in luck as there could be enough air rushing past to get the job done. OTOH, the air might be rushing past inches away from the WG but stagnating in its vicinity - not what you want. In this case you might try fabricating a little barge board to throw air at the WG, like the ones on the front suspension which do the same to the brakes. A heat sink might be overkill.

LoL

I know there are plenty of smart people who are bad at spelling, but on the internet a quick reread for corrections can make a big difference.

Or use a spell checkers like the one on this site (or is that sight, or perhaps cite)
Nothing makes a poster lose his/her credibility faster than spelling errors.

Last edited:
Or use a spell checkers like the one on this site (or is that sight, or perhaps cite)

That's just the problem with spell check though, isn't it? As long as the word is spelled correctly, it won't catch the mistake. Never mind that it's the wrong word entirely!

It also won't catch errors like: "use a spell checkers..." ;)

Maybe we shouldn't judge too harshly. The OP might be ESL, which is a valid excuse.

You guys are worried about spelling mistakes and I can't even order sushi at my favourite place Without five minutes of interpretation and hand signals lol. And I order the same thing from the same waitress every time haha. From all the posts I read from rj I think he is esl... Rj chime in.

You guys are worried about spelling mistakes and I can't even order sushi at my favourite place Without five minutes of interpretation and hand signals lol. And I order the same thing from the same waitress every time haha. From all the posts I read from rj I think he is esl... Rj chime in.

Note the leet grammar in this sentence boys:
Kev I believe we met; you had a vielside supercharged 97.

A colon and semicolon dropped like a bomb! Shit that sentence was like a built 3.5 turbo nsx. Now that your minds are blown, back to txting type mode before I collapse from mental fatigue:

Kev I'm not esl, just stupid or perhaps mildly retarted :) Can we talk about car stuff ey?

Dropping in the walbro and scavenge pump this week. Getting pretty excited.. Hope she doesn't all scrape off on the first speedbump.

Hahaha you bet we can talk cars rj. Rj I dropped in a wal bro 255 and it failed on day two what a piece of junk. Now I have an aeromotive I believe it's a 340 lph.
Other guy: I've never had a 97 Nsx I have a 93 Sebring turbo with all the fixings i need , volks, kw3, etc. I am however still looking for the black turbo 97 sale I missed out on in 2012. 02 update. Sweet ride. Seattle area. I want that car still.

Hahaha you bet we can talk cars rj. Rj I dropped in a wal bro 255 and it failed on day two what a piece of junk. Now I have an aeromotive I believe it's a 340 lph.

How did you acquire your Walbro?

The Walbros are a very popular pump and as a result there are many knock off units being imported from China that are no more than $25.00 pumps that are junk. In my experience a real Walbro 255 is a great pump, I have installed many in just about every make of car with only a single failure, maybe 1 out of 50. So a 2% failure rating, and the unit we replaced did not really fail but was noisy and was replaced for that reason.

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html

Dave

How did you acquire your Walbro?

The Walbros are a very popular pump and as a result there are many knock off units being imported from China that are no more than $25.00 pumps that are junk. In my experience a real Walbro 255 is a great pump, I have installed many in just about every make of car with only a single failure, maybe 1 out of 50. So a 2% failure rating, and the unit we replaced did not really fail but was noisy and was replaced for that reason.

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/walbro-forgeries.html

Dave

Yeah I went with SOS. I couldn't find a way to reliably determine if they were real and it wasn't worth the effort. I hear the pump only can do 433 whp though. Oh well, that's probably more than enough.

Yeah I went with SOS. I couldn't find a way to reliably determine if they were real and it wasn't worth the effort. I hear the pump only can do 433 whp though. Oh well, that's probably more than enough.

I am fairly sure that is not true as a Walbro 255lph at an AFR of 11.75:1 and boost levels below 10psi will support Crank HP of 525hp with a little room to spare, run richer, or more boost and your fuel demands will raise. I am currently running a Walbro 255 with 8.4PSI Boost, AFR's in the 11.5 and richer area making 442rwhp on 550cc injectors and I still have room left in injector duty and have no signs of fuel pressure drop at high RPMs. With an estimate on drivetrain loss of 12% that is over 500 Crank HP. That is also with OEM Fuel rails and fittings and the OEM fuel pressure regulator. So I guess what I am saying is that at least with one NSX (mine) drop in a Walbro 255 and the correct injectors and the stock fuel system will support near 525HP or 465whp. If you believe in the theoretical world a 255lph pump using gas @ 13.5vdc will support 560HP or 500whp but YMMV.

Dave

My Walbro 255 (bought from SOS) would not support even my <400wHP C30A. It started to lean out and fuel rail psi started to flatten (and dip) at the higher RPMs. This was apparent because we kept raising rail pressure at the regulator and nothing. It was scary because a few months on a prior dyno run it seemed fine. Then went for a retune and it was clear it started failing.

I have some logs if anyone is interested.

My Walbro 255 (bought from SOS) would not support even my <400wHP C30A. It started to lean out and fuel rail psi started to flatten (and dip) at the higher RPMs. This was apparent because we kept raising rail pressure at the regulator and nothing. It was scary because a few months on a prior dyno run it seemed fine. Then went for a retune and it was clear it started failing.

I have some logs if anyone is interested.

I assume this was with the CTSC Fuel system before you went with larger injectors and more stock like fuel pressures? If not then there was an issue for sure with the pump.

Dave

Hey so I started putting in the FIC last night. Where is the best place to connect the vacuum? Is the one on the top of the Fuel pressure regulator ok?

Also, is the vacuum pressure different before the throttle body than it is at the intake manifold ? Also just for my understanding how badly can I f this up? Even if the map sensor on the FIC isn't getting any vacuum, when I turn on the FIC, by default it should be mapped to all zero so it shouldn't basically do anything.

I read you can get through the firewall through the round thingy with three holes, so I undid that and now there is another plate with 4 bolts. What is this thing, I am about to open?

I assume this was with the CTSC Fuel system before you went with larger injectors and more stock like fuel pressures? If not then there was an issue for sure with the pump.

Dave
Good point Dave. Perhaps the increased pressure severely shortened the life of the Walbro. Though one could argue the OEM pump seems to last years for other guys with CTSC kits you don't hear about so still makes me question the quality of the Walbro (assuming I got a genuine unit from SOS).

The walbro has a bad rep on other forums too. However for 120$ at sos I don't think you can go too wrong. Although some people said the supra fuel pump was better and it is also cheap, but you have to run a new power line from the battery for the amperage.

The walbro has a bad rep on other forums too. However for 120$ at sos I don't think you can go too wrong. Although some people said the supra fuel pump was better and it is also cheap, but you have to run a new power line from the battery for the amperage.

If you are running a new power wire from the battery you need to make sure it is setup correctly through a relay.

Also, there are knock off Supra fuel pumps floating around too...check this out (post #3)...

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-specific-1993-2002-16/supra-denso-fp-identification-1048110/

WP_20140727_21_33_55_Pro.jpg

Here is the heat sink* ( spelled properly I hope this time). From a ol cpu. I might throw another strap on it but looks fairly sturdy. My attempts to weld to it did not go too well because the aluminum is too thin and I can't fit any bigger sink on it or it will be too heavy then require yet another hanger, etc etc.

The diaphragm of this knock off is supposedly a tial btw. We will see how she performs.

- - - Updated - - -

Next project may be a hobbs overboost switch as a fail safe. Anyone want to help me build this?
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/turbo-tech-make-a-do-it-yourself-turbo-overboost-protector.html

That heat sink looks terrible, in all my years of building turbo systems I've never seen something so mickey mouse. If heat is a concern (which it shouldn't be) pay the proper money and get a watercooled wastegate from a reliable builder. Unless you track the car, or spend minutes under WOT, the waste gate alone without liquid cooling will do the job well.

Back