• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The latest (mis)information on the NSX replacement

NetViper said:
.....It is going to need carbon fiber and aluminum to be light.....

Aluminum space frame with CF and Al body panels should do the trick to keep HSC/NSX @ or below 2800 lbs. curb wt. Al monocoque a la first gen NSX offers better crash protection, because crumple zone is built into the chassis, BUT at the disadvantage of additional weight incurred (more metal required).

More info on chassis type and the vital role it plays in a vehicle's structural rigidity and overall weight can be obtained by clicking here....

NetViper said:
Sorry, I did miss that. Nonetheless, I think the current price level is OK. I mean, it is an exotic car. I won't be able to afford a new one, but a lot of guys here can and others can take advantage of their used ones in 3 years.

As usual on Prime, you guys are dreaming without factoring in the economics. I don't blame you, if I ran Honda I'd produce a car just like the one you're all fantasizing about: 500HP, 2800lbs, semi-auto gearbox, super handling package (lol nice name Honda, mr sparkle is alive and well in japan I see) and with all the goodies you want.

It would take down the big boys, yada yada yada, it would be 1991 all over again and the NSX name would be golden instead of laughed at because of the age issue.

But it will never happen. Not from Honda, not now or in the forseeable future.

The next NSX will be one of the following:

1. A supercar, with 500HP and a $125k+ sticker on the window that competes with cars on the level of the Gallardo, 430 Monza, Ford GT, etc, basically a rolling Honda technology showcase.

or...

2. A sportscar in the vein of the HSC with 350HP, made on the cheap with steel panels and no exotic processes, and priced out slightly lower than an M3 at say $55k.

If you're Honda and you go with the first choice, you don't make any money. Even Ford claims that the GT will barely pencil out to break-even by the time production ends on approximately 1,500 total units, and they're selling that car for $150k+ MSRP. It would be no different with an NSX supercar, in fact it would likely be worse thanks to the brutal dollar/yen ratio. And truthfully, you'd be hard pressed to find 1,500 buyers who will choose a Honda over a 911TT or a Monza, or a GT, or whatever. We know this to be true thanks to the original NSX, which never caught on with the status-obssesed buyer that Ferrari and Porsche make their living on.

So for those reasons, Honda is not likely to go that route.

However, if they go with the second HSC-type car, guys like you NetViper (not picking on you, just the fact that you mentioned affordability) could buy a brand new one right off the lot, with a little bit of effort.

The volume they'd achieve would be similar to the volume of the S2000 per yer, roughly 20x more than the NSX sells now. They already manufacture the engine that the new car would use thanks to the new RL's unit, it wouldn't even need exotic titanium con rods or other costly items.

The bottom line is that if Honda can be profitable on an S2000 for $32k, then they can be profitable on a basic HSC/NSX for $55k. The new RL points the way to the future. That engine is a volume produced unit that makes 300HP without trying. It would be simple to bump it up to 350HP, put it in a steel bodied HSC-size car that weighs no more than say 3,050lbs, and sell it for under $60k.

The HSC show car weighs about 2,800lbs, the same as a stock S2000, so there's room to gain weight without going over the weight of a current NSX coupe.

The new RL points the way and shows the inner thoughts of Honda's management, I really believe that. Pay attention to that car, and its shocking lack of a V8 engine even though everyone and their brother demanded one from Honda during the past two years, and you'll see the way Honda's management is posistioning the next NSX.

Basic. Profitabe. Easy to make. The same things they applied to the S2000 and it achieved profitability for them, without sacrificing any happiness or driving pleasure for the S2000's owners.

I have no problem with that mentality, it would be great to see many of you be able to walk into a dealer, write a check, and own an HSC brand new. Unfortunately, not many of you could ever do that with the current NSX, not without mad discounting. Families and other things come first.

Think about it and you'll see that Honda is not Ferrari, or better yet Porsche, meaning they have no desire to make unprofitable supercars for the country club set who would never buy a lowly "Honda" when one of the others is offered at the same price.

If it means anything I spoke to one of the Acura representative in the NY Auto show about the next NSX but I actually told him whens the HSC suppose to come out, he said that basically all he knew was its around late fall of next year which will be released as a 2006 model.

Popped in to a honda store here in Japan, with a friend on sunday, the sales guy vehemently denied any knowledge about the hsc, all the while smiling politely (i think he was lying) then my friend casually notes that maybe she should ask her brother as he works for honda, Hell yes! was the reply :D

I don't think the NSX was ever about profitability. Why would Honda keep building it for 12-13 years when it was never a profitable car? I don't think anyone can build an all aluminum hand built vehicle for $89K. I think they take a hit on every NSX. Because production has gone on so long with little changes, and they've had little cost in the aspect of retooling factories etc., the NSX maybe has become a profitable venture. However, that is offset by the few vehicles sold each year. I think Honda will use the NSX to reviatalize the Acura brand and image. Formula 1 racing is most likely not a very profitable venture either, but it promotes Honda's image. Honda has wanted all along to show that it can pi$$ with the big boys.

I think the NSX was unpopular with the country club set, not because it was a Honda, but because when it was first introduced there was a huge buying trend away from sports cars in general. The 300ZX,RX-7,Supra were all casualties of this, plus there was the luxury tax (10%) that was thrown in on top of it all. Porsche was nearly bankrupt in the early nineties for the same reason. The 911 wasn't real popular at that time either. Honda got its foot in the door of the country clubbers with the Legend. The upper crust dumped their BMWs and MBs quickly for a "lowly" Honda. Honda is pumping out Accords,Odysseys,Pilots etc. as fast as they can make them. I think the NSX is something different. They don't care how few are sold. That gives them a big advantage. If they target Corvette or M3s etc., then they are saying, "Our showcase of technology and passion for driving is middle of the road in the performance sports car category." There could be another direction for them to go. Freshen the current car, keep the current engine (or mod it slightly), mass produce it with steel panels etc. and sell it for $60-70K. Make a new model, the HSC, that is the showcase car that sells for $125K. Or, produce two versions, one mass produced with current engine, and another handbuilt with more racing technology and different powertrain. I know I'll get shredded for my theories, but I just don't think Mr. Honda wouldn't want to kick the prancing horse in the jewels. Honda didn't get where it did with shooting for the middle of the road. They always take the benchmark in the class, make their car better and charge the same or less for it. Oh well, just my $.02 worth!! Take care!!

Actually Honda wanted to make profit out of the NSX and in the first 2-3 years they did (with sales of 5'000-10'000 cars per year worldwide).

Then lack of newer and improved (sub-)versions took down interest and sales.

A facelifted version with minor improvements every 3 year and a whole new model every 6 years would probably have done the wonder: transform the NSX in something like the 911 and its tradition. Too bad they didn't do that... but good for us (fewer cars on the road, less depreciation). :p

Doc C said:
I don't think the NSX was ever about profitability.

I didn't think it was about profitability either. The NSX remains a 'supercar' because it's rare, and not many own them. The status remains higher for the car the less Honda sells IMO

Back