• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The new daily driver

The lease came up on our 2006 LX470 a few months back. While I loved that vehicle, we never took it off road and frankly it was a waste for what we need in a daily driver (I never get to snowboard anymore and we don't tow anything).

So the search began for a new daily driver. Our big criteria was that the dog's crate had to fit behind the rear seats without folding the seats down. We looked at everything. From SUV's, to minivans, to wagons and even a few pickup trucks.

In the end we special ordered a 2010 Audi A6 Avant Prestige. It's the new S/C motor and we spec'd it out with the sport package and rear side airbags (the Prestige trim is already pretty well loaded). It took about 4 months for delivery and we took the train down to Carlsbad Sunday before last to pick it up.

It's still in break in period so I'm going easy on the gas, brakes, etc. but so far we absolutely LOVE this vehicle. It's fun to drive, gets great fuel mileage (we're averaging 23 mpg in about 450 miles and that includes a lot of idle time while I fool around and figure out all the settings and nav, etc.), has fantastic visibility, and is a great size for us.

I fell in love with the way German cars drive after I replaced my NSX with a Porsche 997S a few years ago and this Audi definitely has a lot of that German ride/handling mix. I doubt it will be as reliable as our Japanese cars (our old LS400 is still going strong) but I bought an extended warranty and we'll see.

Here's some pic's. I hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• A61.jpg
    A61.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • A64.jpg
    A64.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 111
  • A63.jpg
    A63.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 99
  • A66.jpg
    A66.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 86
  • A67.jpg
    A67.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 84
Love it! Those Audi wagons look great to me, plus they still handle and drive well while being extremely useful. I'd love to get a wagon but we're not sure whether or not a third kid is in the near future for us. A five-seater just doesn't cut it when you have three big car seats. :(

Another fine German purchase Christian!

Beware, once you buy an Audi you'll never own a BMW or MB again :wink:

Another fine German purchase Christian!

Beware, once you buy an Audi you'll never own a BMW or MB again :wink:

Thanks.

To be honest, we looked really hard at all the BMW and MB wagons too. I loved the 3 wagon but for the stupid run flat tires. I'm yet to drive anything with run flats that doesn't disappoint. Moreover, the actual cargo hold in the 3 is so small and the do crate wouldn't even begin to fit. (Same thing was true with the A4 Avant, BTW).

I was surprised because I absolutely HATED the 5 wagon. The steering felt crap, the interior is dreadful and I was really disappointed.

We drove both an E350 4Matic Wagon and an E63 wagon. I loved the E63 version but the price was just too steep for my blood. Plus I need that much power like I need a hole in the head. I liked the E350 although I honestly felt it a little underpowered. My wife couldn't stand either MB product. Oh well.

You're going to laugh but the only other product that was really in consideration at the end of the day was the Subaru Outback 3.6. That Subie isn't sexy but it's a decent drive, perfect size for us, and a lot of the bells and whistles we wanted. Moreover, it's really a fair price, IMO. But the styling, materials, power and handling of the Audi won us over. But it was tough because the price differential is pretty big.

thats funny,
i am in the same boat- trying to get a car for my girl that will drive nicely and get us to the ski slopes in the snow. two top choices- outback or A4 avant and i am leaning toward the audi.
nice choice!

Nice. That 3.0 SC motor is sweet. The S4 is pulling 12.9 in the 1/4 with it!

Nice. That 3.0 SC motor is sweet. The S4 is pulling 12.9 in the 1/4 with it!

I am following the break in to the letter but I can tell you that with just a little tip in this motor pulls. I can't wait to really put my foot into it.

thats funny,
i am in the same boat- trying to get a car for my girl that will drive nicely and get us to the ski slopes in the snow. two top choices- outback or A4 avant and i am leaning toward the audi.
nice choice!

We really, really liked the new A4 Avant too. Unfortunately, the dog crate wouldn't fit either. If you're looking at a loaded A4, check out the A6 too. We actually paid less for our A6 Avant Prestige than the MSRP of a fully loaded A4 Avant. The A4 is a tidier car that does handle better but it's not as smooth or luxurious as the A6 and the motor is a hands down difference.

The Subie 3.6 outback is a very nice little wagon too.

Good for you christian! :smile:

Hi

I am sure that it is a nice car. But there is this thing about colour.

When I think of a Audi I think black/dark blue or silver station wagon. I think Audi must have bought toooons of paint in that colour as everybody has that colour.

Regards

Hi

I am sure that it is a nice car. But there is this thing about colour.

When I think of a Audi I think black/dark blue or silver station wagon. I think Audi must have bought toooons of paint in that colour as everybody has that colour.

Regards

Not here in the United States. Black and silver are by far the most common. Night Blue Pear (our color) is extremely rare.

Back