• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The NSX

Well a few weeks back I decided on selling my red/blk 95 NSX for a F355. So I did a lot of homework on the Ferrari. Doing that I found out a lot about owning a Ferrari and met a lot of cool people who have them that gave me more insight on them. So last week I was really looking for one. Even my wife was helping :biggrin: !!!! But man the stuff that was a design flaw on those cars!!! It was really scary! Valve guides, Headers, Cats, convertible top would have problems etc... etc... When I had a 1991 NSX there was a snap ring problem ( not mine) and the window regulator and A/C Unit had a flaw. But that is it! Looks like Honda did a lot of homework :wink:
So I came to a conclusion... I am keeping the NSX. It has 60k on it. I just did the 90k service, replaced gaskets, seals, clutch etc.. etc..
So I am buying some 18/19 or 17/18 Ifroged wheels or HRE, Springs, repaint the front end from rock chips and then put the 3m bra on it. So maybe $7000 to redo the whole car... which is a 3 year service cost on the Ferrari. And my wife is happy to for being a mature and making a wise decision! Saving money for early retirement :smile:
Thanks Prime!
You guys are the best!

Wise choice for sure. You just can't go wrong with the Honda name. It seem that to own a Ferrari, one has to have deep pockets and staff a full-time mechanic. And remember, the NSX has been refered to as the 'Japanese Ferrari' :wink:
Good luck and have fun with your upgrades.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people have thought about that choice also. But either way, your decision is always the right one. The 355 is a great car but it is a cash cow for maintenance, IMO.

Great decision!!! You'll definitely wont hve to worry about maintaince that would cost you an arm and a leg.:smile:

I have always been in love with the 355 Spider, IMO the most beautiful Ferrari ever made. It makes my legs shake. But, I don't think I ever will buy one, I have had a couple of cars which are fun as hell - but when parts break it is such a pain in my head and wallet, it just doesn't justify it :tongue:

Eventhough one can today purchase a "cheap" Ferrari, the parts and service will still cost you like a Ferrari, so a big wallet is almost a must. :D

With other words; Wise desicion :)

Ferraris are amazing in many ways but if you want to be able to drive your car anytime you want and not break down the NSX is the right choice. And it's not just Ferrari of course but almost every other exotic.

I just don't have the time in my day to deal with defects, repairs and breakdowns. Not to mention the $ to deal with them.

I just like the things that I own to work properly. :biggrin:

I went down the same decision path you did not too long ago. Looked at F355s, met some cool F-car people, got a lead on a nice one but couldn't pull the trigger b/c the F355 is a high maintenance mistress :smile:.

I decided to keep the NSX and wait until I can can get into an F360 someday (well, my wife is the one who really wants it :biggrin: :wink: ).

I did the exact same thing.. painted nose, added 17-18 Iforged, springs, side skirts...Never once looked backed. I had been looking at a new 911 or used Aston, ruled out a F355.. to much "pain in the A__".

I'm in Plano and with the Texas weather, the little NSX just has never let me down. Both from a comfort and performance stand point.

Good luck, good choice.

AC

Kenny,

Maybe you could talk some sense into our new friend "Three48" in the New owner forum (I think)! I think he is having a rough go at it here on Prime. :) Good decision, sounds like your X will be sweet when you finish all the work. Best of luck.

Chuck

94BlkNSXinNC said:
Kenny,

Maybe you could talk some sense into our new friend "Three48" in the New owner forum (I think)! I think he is having a rough go at it here on Prime. :) Good decision, sounds like your X will be sweet when you finish all the work. Best of luck.

Chuck

The 348 is the shittiest Ferrari ever built - a buddy of mine has 9 (different, collector) Ferraris and when someone offered me a 348 for about $20,000 to settle a debt I asked him his advice - which was get a Chrysler K car instead - almost the same performance, less maintenence and the engine will last longer!:tongue:

Red said:
The 348 is the shittiest Ferrari ever built - a buddy of mine has 9 (different, collector) Ferraris and when someone offered me a 348 for about $20,000 to settle a debt I asked him his advice - which was get a Chrysler K car instead - almost the same performance, less maintenence and the engine will last longer!:tongue:

LOL....to be fair I heard the 1999 355 had all the issues addressed. But anything from 1995-1998 had the problems. Beautiful car though :smile:

Kenny York said:
So I came to a conclusion... I am keeping the NSX. It has 60k on it... So maybe $7000 to redo the whole car... which is a 3 year service cost on the Ferrari. And my wife is happy to for being a mature and making a wise decision! Saving money for early retirement :smile:

Wise man! You can't "upgrade" from an NSX, so save your money for <STRIKE>early retirement</STRIKE> the HSC. :D

And the other bonus of keeping your NSX is you can continue hanging out with us guys! It's a win/win! :D

NeoNSX said:
And the other bonus of keeping your NSX is you can continue hanging out with us guys! It's a win/win! :D

Win/win for him? What about us?:eek:

Did you consider that WE may WANT him to buy an F-car?:wink:

I was going to lunch Tuesday, with my multiple exotic car owner friend.
We almost always take his new exotics, well, we meet at his house, he drives up in the new Gallardo Spyder and a dash light says problem with one cylinder bank.
Park it, he tells me the new Super America Ferrari has the hood up in the garage with a problem. Well, lets take the F430, start it up and a loud noice in the rear of the car, it is out. The Enzo is FS so no driving that, the wife has the 12 cylinder MB S600 and he just sold the Bently GT. Only car to take is mine, I drive and he is pissed at his cars.

So much for Ferrari and Lambo quality.

Back