• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2010 F1 Megathread

Oh well as in life you gotta follow the dollars....I like Jenson he is smooth and pretty consistant.If he is given a strong car he has more likelyhood of bringing it home in the top three than many other drivers.I'll be sad to see the mojo of Brawn 09 dismembered.

Re: JB and car design

I like Jenson he is smooth and pretty consistant.If he is given a strong car he has more likelyhood of bringing it home in the top three than many other drivers
I wish him all the best but I think he's making a mistake because the car will be designed to suit Hamo; twitchy, and loose needing an aggressive hand; not what JB likes or does well. I would think that any setup attempt to get back to JB's preferred slight understeer style will be difficult and a compromise at best.

I think we're looking at a J. Villeneuve style fade from the limelight. :redface:

In this depressed F1 market if I were Jenson I'd be signing up and taking whatever Mercedes GP gives him - especially as Kimi is on the market as well. Certainly Mercedes will be a team to reckon with having Brawn's technical design prowess and Mercedes engines again.

Hmmm...who would you sign for relatively similar money...Jenson or Kimi?

KIMI.

I think this portends a bright future for McLaren. Well before their engine deal with Mercedes runs out, they'll be fielding their own F1 engine. And by then they might well have their second road car near completion.

As for their current road car, just look at how well it is designed:

http://www.mclarenautomotive.com/uk/default.aspx#/p11/explode

Side-mounted radiator, rear-mounted transmission, longitudinal engine, CF tub, center-biased position for driver's seat. Is it better than the NSX? Obviously it is!

McLaren might become the next Ferrari.

In this depressed F1 market if I were Jenson I'd be signing up and taking whatever Mercedes GP gives him - especially as Kimi is on the market as well. Certainly Mercedes will be a team to reckon with having Brawn's technical design prowess and Mercedes engines again.

Hmmm...who would you sign for relatively similar money...Jenson or Kimi?

KIMI.

Perhaps you missed my earlier post, but Button has signed with McLaren already.

Secondly, Kimi and JB aren't asking for relatively similar money. As I see it, that's one of the main reasons why McLaren signed JB instead of Kimi.

McLaren has said that they have the resources to field two number one cars. Whether that translates into car setup and customizing preferences, among other things, well we'll soon see.

Perhaps you missed my earlier post, but Button has signed with McLaren already.

Fairly sure that the link in your earlier post says they've agree to terms and that signing will be in the next few days.

Back to F1:

Will Kobayashi sign with the Lotus team?

I don't think Mercedes GP is making a smart decision if they go with all german drivers. Sure it makes for national pride but I don't think Rosberg or Heidfeld have the skills to keep them at the top.

116 DAYS, 19 HOURS, 36 MINUTES AND 41 SECONDS BEFORE THE BAHRAIN GP

...that is all.

Re: Gotcha

Newsflash: I have not yet signed with anyone.............but I'm about to...........maybe..........sometime.....................or not. :tongue:

All the monkeys with typewriters (the media/bloggers) keep stirring the pot with all this rumor and innuendo. Brawn/Merc is about to sign Schumi, no, Kimi, no fill in the blank is a real good one. Nordberg is not helping with promising "surprises at Merc". And all of us in the peanut gallery keep the hit rate on the monkeys' websites through the roof. I'm disgusted with myself. :frown:

You know Bernie's behind all this drama. :rolleyes:

Re: Gotcha

Newsflash: I have not yet signed with anyone.............but I'm about to...........maybe..........sometime.....................or not. :tongue:

All the monkeys with typewriters (the media/bloggers) keep stirring the pot with all this rumor and innuendo. Brawn/Merc is about to sign Schumi, no, Kimi, no fill in the blank is a real good one. Nordberg is not helping with promising "surprises at Merc". And all of us in the peanut gallery keep the hit rate on the monkeys' websites through the roof. I'm disgusted with myself. :frown:

You know Bernie's behind all this drama. :rolleyes:
Why are you disgusted w/yourself? It's all in good fun, something for us to do to pass the time til next season begins.

Re: Monkeys with typewriters

So, I just opened the daily rag to see that Scott Adams put it a slightly different way. :wink:

Attachments

• Dilbert.jpg
    Dilbert.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 78
Re: An actual quote............of sorts

Kimi Raikkonen will not be in Formula 1 in 2010, Steve Robertson, one of his management, told the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat on Tuesday that negotiations for a drive with McLaren were over. Raikkonen may try to come back again in 2011 when there will be other drives available, possibly at Red Bull Racing.

Robertson told the newspaper that Raikkonen will do some rallying next year and may race in the Le Mans 24 Hours. ............
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

Fairly sure that the link in your earlier post says they've agree to terms and that signing will be in the next few days.

so, is the ink dry yet?....
fascinating stuff, will be very interesting to see how a LB and Hamo pairing would pan out.

Confirmed that Button is with McLaren...

So that leaves Kimi out of the sport for 2010 which is a shame.

Here's an excerpt from a Planet-F1 article on the winners and losers of this Button deal; Kimi being one of the losers:

Kimi Raikkonen
In two years, Raikkonen has plummeted from World Champion to early retirement. Falls from grace are rarely as vast or as fast.

How did it come to this? At one level, Kimi has been the victim of circumstance. But for Ron Dennis quitting as head of McLaren's F1 group to take control of the company's road division and steering it onto a collision course with Mercedes then, all things being equal, Button would have remained at Brawn and Raikkonen would most probably have been installed as Lewis Hamilton's latest team-mate a month ago.

Yet there's more to it than that. The bottom line is that Raikkonen has priced himself out of the sport; maybe not in the form of asking for too much money from his would-be employers (he received a reputed $15m pay-off from Ferrari so he had no reason to make excessive demands) but certainly in his failure to convince the sport's power-broker he can still provide value.

Raikkonen's face ceased to fit at Ferrari and it has seemingly failed to fit into F1's new culture of austerity. A driver with question marks against his motivation, leadership and work-rate, not to mention with a renowned distaste for PR ventures, has fallen out of kilter with a sport being credit crunched.

His retirement is not yet official or indeed even unofficial. But his 'sabbatical' will most likely become permanent because, having decided it is preferable not to race at all in 2010 than race in a sub-standard car, it is difficult to see how his criteria could be met in years to come. With the seats at McLaren and Ferrari locked down, and Mercedes clearly not interested even when they have a place to fill, Red Bull in 2011 is the only hope he has of a frontline return.

Re: Surprises at Merc GP

Moving right along from the hand-wringing for the soon-to-be-forgotten Jensen whats-his-name, I can't wait for big old Nordy to lay one on us.

Will Kobayashi sign with the Lotus team?
Now Kobay with Nico, that could be fun. (I shall refrain from comparing him to Sato...............yet) :wink:

Re: Surprises at Merc GP

Moving right along from the hand-wringing for the soon-to-be-forgotten Jensen whats-his-name, I can't wait for big old Nordy to lay one on us.

Now Kobay with Nico, that could be fun. (I shall refrain from comparing him to Sato...............yet) :wink:
I doubt Mercedes GP will sign kobayashi but it would be an interesting duo.

Time to route for the underdog once again...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kimi on the grid in 2010 at Mercedes GP. But we'll see. He's a hard guy to figure out. Incredibly talented but a PR liability.

Re: Well, if Nordy doesnt' surprise.........

and they announce quick Nick, I'll be hugely disappointed.

Maybe German Glock can pull a Jensen and get out of his Manor contract to drive Merc? how about that one? :tongue: Or how come no one's mentioning German Sutil? Cause he's under contract? like that means anything? :rolleyes:

Anyway.........{meandering all over} looks to me that several people were caught out. Ross and the team were somehow bypassed/kept in the dark/overriden by the new Merc owners, who essentially showed JB the door without telling Brackley staff. Phil Huff ain't wrong very much about Honda/Brawn but he was relying on Brackley insiders. :mad: And bloggers this morning were still "quoting" Ross as saying negotiations were still on. Guess they were just plain late, huh? :redface:

BTW, what's a catchy name for Merc now? Brawn had the 3 B's, now we might have triple Nick's (including Fry who just might get shown the door).

This is a wonderful move by McLaren, after their slow but steady falling out with Merc.

Just watch ... 2010 will be a a repeat of 1988 with Prost and Senna driving for McLaren, where, to copy someone else's prose from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_(racing) :

After losing the previous two Constructors titles to Williams in 1986 and 1987, McLaren was able to convince Honda to switch its backing from Williams starting in 1988. The McLaren-Honda MP4/4 won an amazing 15 of 16 races that year and leading all but 27 laps, achieving a staggering and unbeaten record to this date. (Senna had been leading comfortably at Monza, but collided with back-marker Jean-Louis Schlesser's Williams.) Ayrton Senna took the driver's title that season, his first with the Woking marque.​

The 2010 season has a gruelling 19 races. McLaren might win 17.

See, the picture right below shows "that yellow helmet whizzing by", powered by the big H:

Ayrton_Senna_1988_Canada.jpg

Re: Bold........I like it

This is a wonderful move by McLaren, after their slow but steady falling out with Merc.

Just watch ... 2010 will be a a repeat of 1988 with Prost and Senna driving for McLaren, ..........
I've got it on my calendar to revisit this post on Nov 18, 2010. We'll chat then. :wink:

Besides, McLaren's offices are so much closer to London, and that's a big draw for the two young men they just hired as their drivers.

Here is the Google map from Brawn GP to McLaren headquarters.

My goodness ... those two lucky lads may even get a brand new McLaren sports car to drive during their off days! Now that's a lot better than Jens pipping his NSX around London losing to a modded Civic.

And besides, who wants to drive a Mercedes sports car around London when you can drive a McLaren sports car instead? I would go for the Mac every time! Who wouldn't? Especially after driving the NSX, what else can you drive except to move up to the Mac?

Back