• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2010 F1 Megathread

Re: Awwww shucks Shawn........

And Button's dad in that pink shirt doesn't stand a chance with the "swave and de-bone-er" Anthony. :wink:
That depends on your perspective. From my working man's perspective, Button's dad is someone I can relate to: at least he drove race cars for a living. The other dad, Anthony Hamilton, merely bought rebuilt motors from John Button.

To put it succintly: if you can't show your son how to rebuild a motor, then what kind of dad are you? Not much of one, in my view.

When my daughter was 7 years old, I showed her how a rotary motor worked by bringing home a real rotary motor that's been taken apart. We even found a Japanese restaurant that used triangular plates. Funny how the German restaurants are smart enough to never use triangular plates ...

Re: Awwww shucks Shawn........

To put it succintly: if you can't show your son how to rebuild a motor, then what kind of dad are you? Not much of one, in my view.

At the risk of veering off-topic, I'd say there is no correlation whatsoever between being a good father and being able to rebuild a motor.

Re: Yeah, sad, but true..........

the bean counters always win. As Joe Saward and others point out, Renault was given every break and consideration for their sins thru the years, so they can't claim they were treated poorly or forced out.

Hopefully Ross's prediction will stand; the manufacturers come and go........but F-1 will endure and they'll be back. :rolleyes:

Re: Congrats F-1 Primers

for resisting mindless comment on all the silly seasons flotsam and jetsam like:

at one extreme, MS (Mikey Cobbler) refusing to deny a possible return to F-1 (and Merc) and..............
at the other extreme, Mike Conway, Mr. Indycar nobody, getting a test with Merc.

You guys are a class act. Good job. :smile:

Does Rubens coming out and saying that Brawn didn't try to keep him or Button change the viewpoint you had earlier about Button?

Re: No, the personalities are still the same

Does Rubens coming out and saying that Brawn didn't try to keep him or Button change the viewpoint you had earlier about Button?
Haven't seen any new quotes or stories on that. Is there something new?

Assuming there isn't something more shocking than a Tiger Woods wreck, my opinion of Jens is based on his history long before these last few weeks. And Rubens is still a nice emotional guy; one who told the world he was being betrayed.............until Jens faded mid-season and it became apparent that he wasn't. And my opinion of Ross remains very high until people like James Allen and Phil Huff, who have direct contact with Ross and Brackley, change their opinion.

To summarize my opinion of JB, he's a talented driver with a weakness for getting weak advice and reacting emotionally. I do wish him all the best and really hope he surprises by giving Hamo a real go.

http://planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_5734173,00.html

It's nothing damning against Ross' character, it is just that he didn't want RB and JB back. I think it was more due to the fact that the decision was not his to make, but either way, he didn't really promote either of them to Mercedes as essential to the long term success of the team. And they probably aren't.

It does come off a bit inconsistent to ding JB for supposedly being an emotional guy and not ding Rubens because he's emotional, wouldn't you say? :)

Last edited:
Re: No, the personalities are still the same

Haven't seen any new quotes or stories on that. Is there something new?

F1: Brawn Should Have ‘Fought’ To Keep Drivers - Barrichello
Written by: SPEED Staff / GMM
11/30/2009
GMM Newswire

Rubens Barrichello will team with rookie Nico Hulkenberg at Williams in 2010.
Brawn/Mercedes should have "fought" to keep the 2009 driver lineup for next season, according Rubens Barrichello.
The Brazilian veteran's teammate this year was the 2009 world champion Jenson Button, and together they collected 8 victories for the Brackley based squad as well as the constructors' title.
But Barrichello, 37, has switched to the Williams team, before Brawn was taken over by Mercedes and Button sensationally moved to McLaren to be Lewis Hamilton's new teammate.
Nico Rosberg has been signed for one Mercedes GP cockpit, and insiders expect the other to be filled by his German countryman Nick Heidfeld. Neither have won a Grand Prix.
"Honestly, if I was the owner of the team I would have fought
to keep both (2009) drivers because of the work that was done during the season," Barrichello is quoted as saying at the Florianopolis kart race by Spain's Diario AS.
He however denied that he had to move to Williams, the last team of his mentor Ayrton Senna, because Brawn did not want to keep him.
"My decision was taken very early. It has been my childhood dream to race a Williams and for that reason I signed the contract quickly," said Barrichello, adding that Button's later departure was a "big surprise".

My views:
I like JB but I think he will have a hard time keeping up with LH. Lewis has been with ML since the start of his F1 career and knows the team very well and vise versa. I have observed in the past that's it's hard go come to a new team (new to a driver) and produce consistent winning results.
I hope JB proves me wrong. I will also be surprised if Brawn Merc will be in contention with current drivers.

Meh, slow news week for F1. And to be frank, I couldn't care less for whatever the Mercedes team does anymore. Not that I'm not amazed at what Ross can do but without the Honda history, the team is kinda irrelevent now.

Emotions and business don't mix well

It does come off a bit inconsistent to ding JB for supposedly being an emotional guy and not ding Rubens because he's emotional, wouldn't you say?
I'm not inconsistent. I'm dinging them both for not being as cold and calculating in front of the media or more importantly, at the negotiations table as I believe and hope they were in the car.

But, sorry to say, I'm also dinging JB for being unnecessarily impolite to Ross after he decided the negotiations were over and he had left the table. That's beyond emotional, that's immature. But from what I hear, Ross has taken the high road and not going to hold a useless grudge. Which as we all know, serves no purpose, business or personal.

McLaren has the fastest car at the end of the 2009 season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80405

Here are the times from the link above, driven by youngsters hoping to get into each team:

Code:
Pos  Driver      Car          Time       Gap       Laps
[COLOR="Red"] 1.  Paffett     McLaren      1m18.718s            80[/COLOR]
 2.  Hulkenberg  Williams     1m19.184s  + 0.466s  94
 3.  Ricciardo   Red Bull     1m19.243s  + 0.526s  93
 4.  Di Resta    Force India  1m19.411s  + 0.693s  58
 5.  Gutierrez   Sauber       1m20.190s  + 1.472s  68
[COLOR="Red"] 6.  Conway      Brawn        1m20.222s  + 1.504s  83
 7.  Ericsson    Brawn        1m20.440s  + 1.722s  37[/COLOR]
 8.  Hildebrand  Force India  1m20.517s  + 1.799s  50
 9.  Bianchi     Ferrari      1m20.585s  + 1.868s  113
10.  Di Grassi   Renault      1m20.898s  + 2.180s  55
11.  Tung        Renault      1m21.492s  + 2.774s  67
12.  Bortolotti  Toro Rosso   1m21.761s  + 3.043s  69

Re: Emotions and business don't mix well

But, sorry to say, I'm also dinging JB for being unnecessarily impolite to Ross after he decided the negotiations were over and he had left the table.
Ross saying JB is impolite is simply Ross's personal opinion. That certainly does not mean JB is impolite from anybody else's point of view, except maybe yours.

I didn't read anywhere that Ross said anything about JB being impolite. I did see Fry acting out a bit when it became clear that JB was moving on. I think they expected to be able to call the shots and the timeline and were pissed when JB made his own move without giving them the right of last bite at the apple. Why should JB show them continued loyalty when he has already shown it in 2008, staying with the team for less money. It was about time that they showed him loyalty, and instead they strung him along and expected him to wait around and see if Merc desired his services or not, which is even more absurd because it was clear Merc did not.

I really don't understand why JB is getting any flack for his handling of the situation.

Re: Rumors.........JV out??? LOL

latest rumor...Renault selling their F1 operation to Prodrive....

That's a good one but actually fairly plausible, right? Damn, that puts the kabash on the convoluted story about how Jacque V. will.......how did one wise-ass put it..........."parachute" back into F-1? :tongue: That one was taking the cake..........at least for this week. :rolleyes:

Re: What the little woman needs to know

Stuck with the usual question from the wife............'what do you want for Christmas?" ??:rolleyes:

Whip this one on her: :tongue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...09&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&viewitem=

Incredible experience ! Do this unique Driving Experience or offer it as a christmas gift. Drive a real Formula One car - the Arrows A17 driven by 1996 Formula One World Champion Damon Hill - for real - on the prestigious Homestead Miami Speedway racetrack. 4 learning laps driving a Ferrari 360 Modena and 4 laps driving this 650 HP Arrows-Ford. This is part of a new program launched and all details can be downloaded from your website : www.formulaonedrive.com One session is for four people only. All driving gears, helpemts etc.. are provided. A quified instructor will teach you how to handle the cars and learn the track and tips needed. Four people sessions, one-to-one experoence. All included : $ 2999 Two cars available. Any questions, please free to call 305 281 9977

Attachments

• !BewhGhw!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjEErylGqih6BK-iCW2S)w~~_35.jpg
    !BewhGhw!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjEErylGqih6BK-iCW2S)w~~_35.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 83
Re: McLaren has the fastest car at the end of the 2009 season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80405

Here are the times from the link above, driven by youngsters hoping to get into each team:

Code:
Pos  Driver      Car          Time       Gap       Laps
[COLOR="Red"] 1.  Paffett     McLaren      1m18.718s            80[/COLOR]
 2.  Hulkenberg  Williams     1m19.184s  + 0.466s  94
 3.  Ricciardo   Red Bull     1m19.243s  + 0.526s  93
 4.  Di Resta    Force India  1m19.411s  + 0.693s  58
 5.  Gutierrez   Sauber       1m20.190s  + 1.472s  68
[COLOR="Red"] 6.  Conway      Brawn        1m20.222s  + 1.504s  83
 7.  Ericsson    Brawn        1m20.440s  + 1.722s  37[/COLOR]
 8.  Hildebrand  Force India  1m20.517s  + 1.799s  50
 9.  Bianchi     Ferrari      1m20.585s  + 1.868s  113
10.  Di Grassi   Renault      1m20.898s  + 2.180s  55
11.  Tung        Renault      1m21.492s  + 2.774s  67
12.  Bortolotti  Toro Rosso   1m21.761s  + 3.043s  69

I must confess a personal interest in the testing times from the "young driver's" sessions. Young Daniel Ricciardo hails from Perth, Western Australia, and his father is an ex-racer at the local level, and an aquaintance of mine. Indeed I was fortunate to watch Daniel's very first race in a Formula Ford standing next to his father :biggrin:

He is an outstanding young man, who seems to have a worthwhile talent :wink: Not only is he a dedicated, some might say driven, young man, he is also a good listener and a fast learner.

Could not happen to a more worthy racer!

Ron Dennis collects lifetime achievement award at the AUTOSPORT Awards

Ron Dennis says in Autosport articlce:
"When I look at the achievements of Ferrari and what we intend for McLaren, it is absolutely categorically the right thing for us to plough our own furrow. It is a win-win situation for everyone."​
We NSX lovers should get excited about what direction McLaren is taking. One day, some of us may be driving a McLaren sportscar. If they did not decide to go in this direction, there would be no way any of us will ever get into a used McLaren F1 during our lifetime.

Re: Classic quotes

from ESPN F-1
We have to be ahead of Branson, otherwise I will retire and kill myself. Lotus team boss Tony Fernandes might be taking the battle with the Manor/Virgin team too seriously Dec 9, 2009

For the liquor business we have a large number of women in the branding and marketing team. Now, I am looking for an F1 woman driver. Force India's shy and retiring boss Vijay Mallya applies some questionable logic to decide he needs a woman to drive for his team Nov 30, 2009

We had a nice fight ... I just come back to this event to use whatever there is left of a talent. Former world champion Michael Schumacher on his winning karting weekend with former Formula One greats Nov 30, 2009

They need to go and buy a pen. Bernie Ecclestone when asked what Silverstone needed to do to get the 2010 British Grand Prix Nov 16, 2009

I hope in a short time that everybody remembers me for being Bruno, myself, and not for my uncle's surname. A short-term dream and short-term improbability from Bruno Senna at a press conference to announce he was joining the Campos team Nov 11, 2009

I have no idea. It's not the sort of thing we do is it? Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone when asked if Toyota would be sued for quitting the sport Nov 3, 2009

People want to build new circuits around the world and they say: 'We'll come to Silverstone and have a look how it's done', and I tell them to stay away. F1 overlord Bernie Ecclestone says what we all knew anyway ... he's no fan of Silverstone Sep 26, 2009

An Indian owning an F1 team is a big thing. It will open up a huge window of opportunities for Indian drivers to race in F1. I hope I will also get a chance to drive for Spyker very soon. Narain Karthikeyan outlines his plans Sep 25, 2007

Everybody must realise that Formula One is not a money-spending contest. Max Mosley with a rather unique view on the world of F1 Mar 11, 2007

If God had meant for us to walk, why did he give us feet that fit car pedals? Stirling Moss tackles religion Jul 18, 2006

There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love. Sir Stirling Moss who, by his own admission, was experienced in both Aug 27, 1994

It would be a personal victory for me to convince Ayrton that there are more things in life rather than just racing. Alain Prost on his team-mate and rival Ayrton Senna Mar 5

Driving in Monte Carlo is like riding a bike in your house Nleson Piquet on the thrills of the street circuit Jun 27, 1989

Are you here to race or to crash? Former driver turned official Chico Landi addressing drivers safety concerns in Brazil ahead of the 1983 race Mar 27, 1983

Re: Insiders are still stirring the pot

I liked Andrew Benson's take on MS's (Mikey Cobbler) possible motivation to come back. And now, James, even though still skeptical, takes the time to speculate. That says something.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/...28173-1&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Are ya diggin the anticipation? I'm shocked to find that I feel like an 8 year old waiting for Christmas. :smile: :redface:

Back