• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2010 F1 Megathread

3 races and 3 different winners from 3 different teams!! That is great.

BTW, I was most impressed by LH drive to the front(unlike JB) and FA's drive without the clutch. He is a much better driver than FM!

LH's drive to the front was mostly due to his good start. He had a better line to turn one than JB. Nonetheless, LH, JB, FA, FM all did a great job moving to the front considering where they started.

Re: Too much of a good thing?

spoiler: Ken, stop reading now if you haven't seen Q. :biggrin:

Thanks, that's thoughtful. :biggrin:

I loved this race and what qualy did for the grid and for the eventual race outcome.

That got me thinking, perhaps a dangerous thing: How about an inverted grid?

Re: Superficial evidence

If I was placing any bets today for WDC, it would be between SeaBass and Fred. I will no doubt eat or want to eat those words before it's over, but right now, SeaBass just needs a good car and Fred showed today that he may not always need a good car.

HRT putting the pass on a Lotus. Good racing all over the track
And HRT passing Lotus, that was priceless. :tongue:

Re: Superficial evidence

92 white 0650;1293551 SeaBass just needs a good car and Fred showed today that he may not always need a good car. [/QUOTE said:
Agreed. It was a shame Alonso couldn't nurse the thing over the finish line.

My vote for WDC? Vettel. The kid can drive.

The Malaysian GP was kinda boring to be honest. Without rain, it was pretty predictable and procession like.

Lotus Racing Team Testdriver, Fairuz Fauzy, drives NSX Type R... :biggrin:

That's available for the iPhone as well. Last year's version had some issues but I watched a whole race that way and knew almost exactly what was happening at any given moment.

Great app.

Re: From what I've seen (and heard)........

but I watched a whole race that way and knew almost exactly what was happening at any given moment.
You don't need an app for that. :biggrin:

P.S. I hope you're back now and payin' attention. :biggrin:

23573_1406361442139_1325504638_1124584_556420_n.jpg

What's this talk of Schuey ending his contract early w/ Mercedes? Sheesh, he just got in the car. :(

Re: Huh? What am I missing?

P.S. I hope you're back now and payin' attention.
Hey you're back. :smile:

What's this talk of Schuey ending his contract early w/ Mercedes? Sheesh, he just got in the car.

But what are you paying attention to? :confused: Of course the forums are full of this expected "Schumi-hater" speculation but I don't see any reliable sources going there.

Good article from Autosport.com:

Michael Schumacher's unexpectedly poor showings demonstrate the challenges in staging a comeback at this level

When Michael Schumacher decided to make a comeback he probably wasn't figuring on hearing radio messages like: "If you can get past Alguersuari you may get a point." He was probably also figuring that after he'd passed Timo Glock in Melbourne, the Virgin would stay passed, not come barrelling down his inside to re-pass as if Glock had never even heard of Michael Schumacher.

That wasn't a representative picture of Michael's progress, but it's fair to say that things could be going better. He might have qualified just behind team-mate Nico Rosberg in Australia but the underlying form showed him to be further away than in Bahrain. Taking their best sector times in qualifying, Rosberg was over 0.4s quicker. In Bahrain he had been just 0.3s quicker over a much longer lap. The first corner incident at Albert Park that left Michael running near the back in a damaged car simply added to the discomfort he is clearly showing at the moment.

Jackie Stewart was an interested observer at both races and isn't too surprised at what he's seeing: "I think it's about par for the course," he says, "about what I'd have expected - but I'm sure it's a lot less than he expected.

"It's only his second race back and we have to give him a chance, but it's no simple thing to come back at this level – it's a particularly good group of drivers around right now. I don't remember a better group being around since I was racing. If he'd only had to go quicker than maybe two top guys, it would be one thing, but six or seven of them?"

In 1978 and again in '83 Stewart did a series of track tests with then-current F1 cars. This was five and 10 years respectively after he'd retired as a 34-year-old and on both occasions he was fully competitive with the then-current drivers. "It was a lot of fun," he recalls, "just like riding a bike. I was able to enjoy it for 20 laps and not worry about having to race week-in, week-out."

But in 1989, as a 50-year-old testing Riccardo Patrese's Williams-Renault at Paul Ricard, he got his first insight into the limitations the mind can begin to place on a driver's speed. "It wasn't that I couldn't do it," he says, "but when it came to taking Signes flat there was a question in my mind about whether it was the right thing to be doing, so I was backing off there. Yet in the slow and medium speed corners I was as quick as Riccardo.

"I'm thinking, 'why do I want to do this?' I don't think at 41 that's an issue for Michael, but at some level he will be having to decide how far to push it to be able to go faster than Vettel or Alonso – or indeed his own team-mate, Nico Rosberg. If you look at Bahrain and its big run-off areas, compared with Albert Park where you can hit solid things if you make a mistake, there's a very different level of challenge."

It's one thing deciding to come back when you're convinced things will be much as they always used to be, loving the sensations of being in the thick of the victory fight. But it's surely quite another to stay when you're just one of the pack.

"I'm hearing stories that he's beginning to complain that Nico is getting better service," says Stewart, "and if true, that would be the first symptom that's he's struggling. The problem is, if he's feeling that, he might begin to use his muscle – which I think would be a mistake and something that even Ross Brawn or Norbert Haug might find difficult to deal with.

"If you were to talk to a business analyst of the sport, he'd say the most important thing would be for Schumacher to win a race, or be in contention for the championship – for the benefit of F1. Make no mistake, Michael is fully capable of getting it together, but if he doesn't, things may get messy."

But in 1989, as a 50-year-old testing Riccardo Patrese's Williams-Renault at Paul Ricard, he got his first insight into the limitations the mind can begin to place on a driver's speed. "It wasn't that I couldn't do it," he says, "but when it came to taking Signes flat there was a question in my mind about whether it was the right thing to be doing, so I was backing off there. Yet in the slow and medium speed corners I was as quick as Riccardo.

Exactly - one of the best quotes! And it gets even harder when you are closing in on 60, just ask Tedroe :tongue:

So is Macca's F-Duct, that everyone seems to be copying, going to have a positive effect w/ China's long straight?

Thoughts on this weekend's impending race? I'm hoping Schuey makes a break-thru to boost some of his confidence.

Re: Brutal......et tu, Hrant?

60's been in the review mirror for some time now. :frown:
I remember at one of the NSX owners' meet, a owner/driver confessed: "I wish I was doing this at a younger age, as this is so much fun."

I thought about that comment over and over again for my entire drive home from that meet, and I realized that that he was right: certain things are best enjoyed when young.

But then, we have this comment to consider:

Youth is wasted on the young.​

Great race, mainly due to the variable of rain. Had some great moments especially at the end.

Poor Schumi, don't know what's happened to him but he doesn't have it yet.

Great race, mainly due to the variable of rain. Had some great moments especially at the end.

Poor Schumi, don't know what's happened to him but he doesn't have it yet.

Jenson Button, another brilliant call on tires and excellent race, same goes for Nico Rosberg. Jenson proved once again that he's easy on the tires and is championship material. Where are all those naysayers that said Hamilton would embarrass Button this season and that it would be a mistake for him? oh yeah...

.... Jensen, please don't think you can compete with Hamilton and sign with them. Take what Ross has to offer and be thankful you won a championship. If you partner Hamilton, he WILL make you look bad, really BAD. Stay at Brawn, do your best there, and credit your 2010 ass whoopin' to the "underpowered" car you were given. :rolleyes:

I wish him all the best but I think he's making a mistake because the car will be designed to suit Hamo; twitchy, and loose needing an aggressive hand; not what JB likes or does well. I would think that any setup attempt to get back to JB's preferred slight understeer style will be difficult and a compromise at best.

I think we're looking at a J. Villeneuve style fade from the limelight. :redface:

Moving right along from the hand-wringing for the soon-to-be-forgotten Jensen whats-his-name, I can't wait for big old Nordy to lay one on us.....

But Hall of Fame material?? :eek: Winning one season is not automatic Hall of Fame status to people I know or follow. :rolleyes: I'm making a note to check back one year from now to see how JB is looking in the press then.

Maybe not hall of fame status, but he's certainly doing better than LH. Yeah it's still early in the season, but you don't have to wait a year to see that LH is not embarrassing JB. In fact, LH is embarrassing himself.

it ain't that complicated. :confused:

It's just Hamo against Caterpillers & Macca agin' Fezza.

Everything else is just a sideshow.

• Button & Flippy are just wingmen.

• And Button's dad in that pink shirt doesn't stand a chance with the "swave and de-bone-er" Anthony. :wink:

Button doesn't have what it takes to go head to head with Hamilton and come out the winner. The 2007 season was a good e.g. of Hamilton's speed. This season belongs to Ferrari or Red Bull....

Back