• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

with the reduced power, overall speed, v6 engine, and turbo , F1 cars appear to be closer to Indy and GP2/Formula 2000 if not as close in many years ? Anyone have any side by side comparisons ? I'd love to see it. Just my thoughts, I hate how the 2014 F1 cars sound. Long gone is the high revving' 19k scream.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, a sad day for F1. Good for the Brawn family.

Last edited:
with the reduced power, overall speed, v6 engine, and turbo , F1 cars appear to be closer to Indy and GP2/Formula 2000 if not as close in many years ? Anyone have any side by side comparisons ? I'd love to see it. Just my thoughts, I hate how the 2014 F1 cars sound. Long gone is the high revving' 19k scream.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, a sad day for F1. Good for the Brawn family.

GP2:
• V8 - 4 liter atmospheric - 612 [email protected] rpm - made by Mecachrome
• 8 in 1 exhaust
• Acceleration:
0-100 km / h 2.90 sec
0-200 km / h 6.60 sec
• Maximum speed: 332 km / h (Monza aero configuration)

F1 0-100 km/h 1.7 sec
0-200 km/h 3.8 sec

Max speed Monza last year 340 km/h

Last edited:
Only a few days to go now! Heading over Thursday night :biggrin:

It will be interesting to see how many cars actually greet the chequered flag?!

Of course on a personal level it will be interesting to see how Ricciardo goes head to head against Vettel.

Forecast for Sunday 22 C, with a chance of rain, like we need THAT variable this year.

My prediction for Melbourne, Vettel will NOT win the race, and I'm perfectly okay with that! :D

wow 1.6 L v6...that would be a 3.2 L v12.......we are going back to 1959...:biggrin:

Less than 24 hours till the season kicks off with FP1 in Melbourne!!!

2014 F1 Exhaust Sound

Watching Practice One of the Australian Grand Prix, the new turbo engines sound awful compared to last year. They sound flat and lower pitched since the rev limit is 15k, wonder how the fans will react. Don't know about everyone else, but I'll still watch but the sound is not very exciting. The new technology of the energy recovery systems are innovative, such as using one system to keep the turbo impeller speed up at all time.

Last edited:
Watching Practice One of the Australian Grand Prix, the new turbo engines sound awful compared to last year. They sound flat and lower pitched since the rev limit is 15k, wonder how the fans will react. Don't know about everyone else, but I'll still watch but the sound is not very exciting. The new technology of the energy recovery systems are innovative, such as using one system to keep the turbo impeller speed up at all time.

I concur.. This sport has become pathetic since the V10 19K rpm days in many ways other than just the engine change. Many current drivers of this sport are disappointed as well. I am ashamed to be an F1 fan right now. :( I will see how many races I can take before I stop watching. Time will tell.

Jump to 0:44 secs in the video. Almost 970BHP out of 3.0L on that dyno session. The best NA sound EVER!!!!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVs7ZakemTo

Last edited:
Okay, is anyone NOT watching FP1 and FP2 today??

Alonso set the fastest lap of FP1, with Button in second. Williams was 3-4 with Bottas and Massa.

Hamilton was the first car to break.

Both FPs were good watching. Interesting issues that all the teams are dealing with.

The cars seem REALLY difficult to drive.

I'm watching......still getting used to the sound....driver inputs seem much more gentle because of torque..this new driving style requirement may suit JB who is inherently smooth.

Back