• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

the 'ole tire game again

I had a blowout today - everything is fine but the passenger rear tire is thrashed. so I have to buy new rear tires.

I am thinking either so3 pp or pilot sports, but that is not the question, but feel free to comment.

The question is size - yes, size matters. 18x10" wheel: 275/35 or 285/30? Note, fronts are 215/40-17, so ratio's are correct.

footnote. lud, welcome back. I echo the comments of others appreciating your efforts.

Originally posted by justin hall:
I had a blowout today...

Please give us more info! An unprovoked blowout? Type of tires? Age? Amount of tread remaining? Speed? ...

Glad all is well.

Look at the Toyo T1S while your at it. Besides good performance in the usual sense, the are very light and have low rolling resistance.

Originally posted by sjs:
Please give us more info!.....

Look at the Toyo T1S while your at it. Besides good performance in the usual sense, the are very light and have low rolling resistance.

There was a pretty good sized nail in the tire that depleated all the air pretty quickly. I was driving about 60 mph. The tire stayed in tact on the wheel, I felt it and pulled over. No loss of control at all, I was real happy about that. Although there was no wheel damage (yea) I was still pretty happy that this did not happen on my new advan model 7's.

Thanks for the tip on the tire. Since my front's are still in pretty good shape I will likely just try to buy the same type of rear's, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2. But, I found that tire rack no longer sells them, so I am going to try to find them elsewhere tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 15 July 2001).]

It sounds like a "flat", not a "blowout". I agree with sjs that these two terms are usually used to describe different things...

Not to get into symantics here, but if you guys saw the tire when I pulled over you would say it was a blowout. The entire inner sidewall was gone. I consider a flat tire to be something that happens over minutes or hours, not seconds. Seems like we are all singing from the same songsheet.

Lud, thanks for the feedback.

Not to get into symantics here, but if you guys saw the tire when I pulled over you would say it was a blowout. The entire inner sidewall was gone.

Oh! That's definitely a blowout.

I think you confused us when you said that the nail was in the tread and that it (the nail) depleted the air pretty quickly, but was still sitting there in the tread. If that were ALL that happened, then the sidewall wouldn't be gone.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion...

Hi Justin --

Your fronts are the same width as 1994 stock tires. It would be a good idea to limit the width in the rear much past stock width rear (245). I suggest the 275.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back