• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

The police are out of control in my area...

I am half-white/half-japanese and am dual citizen

Woah, Kenji, tha's cool. I'm also half-White/half-Japanese...though my dual citezenship is between the U.S. and Canada, not Japan.

BTW, I may be taking my first trip to Japan in December...

Really?! I was thinking of going to Japan in November to check out the Tokyo Motor Show. If I get the tickets soon, it might only be like $750 or so. I have friends there, so the trip would be pretty cheap. I'll have to see how my court thingy will pan out though.

In 1973 the Arab oil embargo causes oil prices to skyrocket causing a crisis. The US places speed limits to conserve oil. Embargo goes away and oil prices start coming down. After the crisis the US realizes how much revenue it generated from speeding tickets so decides to stick with speed limits...doesn't this piss you off? In my opinion speed limits are enforced 99% for revenue and 1% for safety, hence why out-of-towners get ticketed without discretion in small, cash-strapped towns. The whole "speeding is dangerous" crap, I think, is bullshit. Sure, speeding causes accidents but I think these days law enforcement is taking it to the extreme...especially since cameras are so easy and cheap to come by these days. Take for instance Washington D.C. Recently they added cameras at stoplights and on police vehicles to take pictures of drivers that speed. Keep in mind that you don't get pulled over, you just get a fine mailed to you. The driver keeps on speeding not knowing that he has been caught...how the hell is this suppose to promote safe driving. Now, if they took every penny of the revenue this new ploy generates and dumped it into some kind of add blitz about safe driving or rewarded people with clean driving records, with some sort of cash rebate for driving so damn safe, then I'd agree with the whole "We use these cameras to promote safe driving" bullshit they feed us.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I had to get this off my mind after reading this thread.

Originally posted by skim83:
The whole "speeding is dangerous" crap, I think, is bullshit. Sure, speeding causes accidents

We're now way off topic here but research has shown that speed differential is what causes accidents not speed per se. That is; the difference in speed between the fastest and slowest vehicles on a given stretch of road. "Car & Driver" did some good stuff on this years ago. Most of it centered around the 85th percentile method of setting speed limits. Some good information can be found through the National Motorists Association site.

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Originally posted by kenjiMR:
NSX4U2!
How can you say I blew it!? You weren't there? I'm just stated that the police in my area are wrongfully pulling people over for not even breaking the law. You don't think that the police could be wrong? Thats just messed up. Anyways, I can definitely see that I will be fighting a tough fight because people will not believe me. I am going to take measures to protect myself in the future... or I will move to another country. I am half-white/half-japanese and am dual citizen. I've seriously considered to move out of this country recently. Japan, to be specific.

[This message has been edited by kenjiMR (edited 05 September 2001).]

Kenji-san

I always thought that Japanese Government does not allow for Dual citizenship. If that was the case, I'd have gotten my US citizenship long time ago.

Originally posted by skim83:
In 1973 the Arab oil embargo causes oil prices to skyrocket causing a crisis. The US places speed limits to conserve oil. Embargo goes away and oil prices start coming down. After the crisis the US realizes how much revenue it generated from speeding tickets so decides to stick with speed limits...

No, most local governments were collecting significant amounts of revenue from speeding tickets long before the interstate highway speed limits were lowered to 55 mph. The oil embargo had nothing to do with the revenue incentive for speeding tickets.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
No, most local governments were collecting significant amounts of revenue from speeding tickets long before the interstate highway speed limits were lowered to 55 mph. The oil embargo had nothing to do with the revenue incentive for speeding tickets.

Actually, that's not completely correct. Ticket revenue increased by an order of magnitude when the speed limit changed. The reason is, the feds tied funding to compliance, becauase the states were ignoring the 55 mph limit. Rightfully so, in fact, as the federal govt. does not have the right to set speed limits. Therefore, the feds used highway funding to strong-arm the states into using the 55 mph limit. So, now you have a situation where states are forced to spend significant resources giving speeding tickets instead of using the money for what they really want to do - stoping important crimes. As the system kicked into gear and states sent swarms of radar-armed state troopers out onto the highways, they accidentally found a new and very large source of revenue - speeding fines. Ticket revenue skyrocketed. By the way, this also prompted the use of radar by cops everywhere. It was almost unkown until states needed a method to chase motorists to satisfy the federal 55 mph buearucrats. Then the whole thing snow-balled. Every pissant small town saw what was happening and realized that a radar trap would allow them to have outsiders fund their municipal budgets. The 55 mph limit did not invent the speed trap or the ticket revenue scam, but it did institutionalize it and vastly increased the scope.

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

Regarding my dual citizenship... I must be a special case I guess. I have both passports that will not expire for another several years. I plan to renew each one before they expire. I'm not exactly sure what the rules are... my brother and sister were born in Japan. I was born in Nashville Tenn, but I moved to Japan when I was one years old. My parents were missionaries, my dad is Japanese and my mom is American. They must have somehow written a custom agreement for my citizenship or something... They probably could do whatever they want if they found out now, but I will renew my passports as the time comes.

I think the key is, if they find out. If they don't, You probably won't have any problem. In your situation, i believe, anyone born in US has the right to choose his citizenship(in case their parents are from another country) at the age of 20. Well something like that. I'm no INS.(good thing for you Kenji-san
biggrin.gif
)

In your situation, i believe, anyone born in US has the right to choose his citizenship(in case their parents are from another country) at the age of 20.

That sounds familiar. I was born in the U.S. At that time, my dad was a Canadian citizen (he's now American)...which is how I got my dual-citizen status. I believe that this dual status was officially recognized through age 25, at which time I would become a citizen of the country I was residing within if I didn't declare otherwise.

If my memory serves, the U.S. doesn't acknowledge dual-citizenship with any country...but there are many countries who do acknowledge dual-citizenship with the U.S. Just remember to say that you're a U.S. citizen whenever you return to the U.S.
wink.gif

BTW, Kenji, since I've never been to Japan, do you have any recommendations? I will be there for roughly eight days, four to five of which I will be in Tokyo. I don't have any relatives (that I know) or friends living there, but I do have some business colleagues at Sony Computer Entertainment that I'm going to see about hooking up with. And since my wife works for The Ritz-Carlton, we get amazing rates at the Ritz-Carlton or any of the Marriott owned hotels (we've booked rooms at the Renaissance).

I'm also hoping to check out the NSX factory and Twin Ring Motegi if I have time.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 06 September 2001).]

You have friends at Sony? As you know I own GT.com, so I have made some friends over at Sony too... anyways, I would suggest taking the Yamanote line in Tokyo, stop at Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya etc. After that, you'd probably had enough of the city, so you probably will want to take the bullet train down south or north to see some other scenery. I'm not sure if Motegi is west,south or north of Tokyo, but just find out what town it is and use your JR rail pass and go to the town. It shouldn't be too hard if you know which town its in (Motegi) I assume. If you've never gone to Japan before... get ready to be blowd away.
smile.gif
Its awesome.

You have friends at Sony

Uh, yeah. We have worked very closely with Sony Japan while developing their hottest selling games over the past six years (the first four Crash Bandicoot games and now Jak and Daxter). You knew that Sony owns Naughty Dog, right?

Yes this is my first trip to Japan and I expect to be blown away. I am most certainly going to get a rail pass before heading over there so we can take in as much as possible (probably will sample Kyoto and Osaka).

Aside from looking for NSX toys, I plan to purchase some anime toys while I'm there...good timing since a bunch of new toys based on the classic Macross series will be out by then. I'll definitely have to restrain my spending...

Akira,

I didnt know you like Macross also. My brother is out there right now hopefully he will bring me back some goods. Do you like the traditional series or the Robotech version?

Ken

Originally posted by netNSX:
Akira,

I didnt know you like Macross also. My brother is out there right now hopefully he will bring me back some goods. Do you like the traditional series or the Robotech version?

Ken

I prefer Gundam IMO. Oh and go to Roppongi.

Roppongi is awesome, but a day in Tokyo is not complete without visiting Akihabara - the 'electronics district'.

I've heard Toyota City is pretty cool too...

Have fun!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Do you like the traditional series or the Robotech version?

Actually, I got into Macross because of the Robotech version (Macross was my fave segment, followed by Mospeada). The 1984 feature Macross: Do You Remember Love is my favorite anime film. I didn't much care for Macross II, but thought Macross Plus was pretty cool. I have a few Macross toys including a Macross 7 Stealth Fighter...but REALLY want to get the new toys because I couldn't afford the classics when I was a kid (and I definitely can't afford what the classics are going for on Ebay these days).

I'm now getting into Gundam now that Cartoon Network is broadcasting it in English. I've watched most of 8th MS Team...looking forward to Stardust Memory as a coworker had shown me highlights from that series a few years back.

I was also a Star Blazers fan in my youth...so I'm planning on picking up that awesome electronic Starship Yamato toy when I'm in Japan (one of my coworkers brought his into the office).

Here's a sprite I designed for a Macross themed PC (EGA) / PCjr. shareware game that I never finished (back when I was in high school):

<table width=100 height=30 bgcolor="000000"><tr><td>
m-vf1s.gif

</td></tr></table>

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 08 September 2001).]

What in the world are you guys talking about? Macross, Robotech, Gundam, Roppongi... sounds like characters in a sci-fi flick.
confused.gif

What in the world are you guys talking about? Macross, Robotech, Gundam, Roppongi

We're discussing in code the details about the next-gen NSX.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, what this thread has deviated into is a discussion about our favorite Japanese animated series (anime). Macross features variable technology aircraft which transform into robot mechs to battle against oversized alien invaders, Gundam features men fighting wars utilizing giant mobile suits...yes, this stuff is very sci-fi.

And here I am thinking that Godzilla (ohhh, l
eek.gif
eek.gif
k-at-dat!!!) and Mothora (huge moth that only listened to the 2 tiny twin Japanese women) were still today's contenders. LOL!

As a result of these earth-threatening creatures, it forced the Japanese to design an exotic car we own and luv (the NSX), to stay one Godzilla "step" and two Mothora "wing flaps" ahead of them.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, the NSX owners that fell in the snap ring range weren't so lucky.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by humanoidtyphoon:
My favorite anime by far, of all time has to be Trigun....that's why I am the Humanoid Typhoon!!!! :-)

[This message has been edited by TochigiNSX (edited 10 September 2001).]

typhoon - you need to meet my brother-in-law. He's a HUGE anime fan. When he lived with me, my house was full of transformers, gundam, macross, etc...

I took him to Japan (Tokyo) for the first time last December and we ended up shipping a huge box of goodies picked up througout the city. He loved it so much that he went back with a friend last month.

He also does custom action figures... quite good ones, in fact. I'll put a link up to his website (I can't remember it off hand) on the DallasNSX list if you remind me and are interested.

EDR

Akira,

Just thought it would be cool to coordinate a trip to Japan when you & your wife are there, as my girlfriend is also half Japanese/half white. She is a revenue analyst for Marriott headquarters, so we can get great accomodations as well. Since she used to live there & she could help negotiate & navigate around town
smile.gif

Since she used to live there & she could help negotiate & navigate around town
smile.gif

Sounds cool, but I'll have to ask my wife what she thinks (I know she's looking forward to time with me alone since I've spent so much time at work over the past two years). But any help/tips is much appreciated.

Our plans have us heading over there in mid-December.

Back