• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

The red key

So yesterday I had some friends over and a buddy wanted to hear the comptech exhaust, I was in the middle of a poker game and told him to grab the keys and go for it. A couple minutes later he comes back and says the car won't start? First I thought maybe the battery was dead and he hands me a key..... THE RED KEY! :eek: So I had my manual, keys, etc all in the same spot and he took the wrong one! So I immediately went to the car with the regular key and attempted to start it, it didn't work the first time, but then on a second turn, it worked fine... car started, alarm works, etc. Should I be worried about anything? Also, is it normal for the normal "green key" indicator to flash a few seconds after the key is removed from the ignition? I read that is normal from the manual, but wanted to make sure... thanks

the green key indicator is the immobilizer indicator. Yes it is normal for it to flash for a few seconds after the key is removed.

I don't know on the red key question. I'll try to dig mine out and try it later.

the green key indicator is the immobilizer indicator. Yes it is normal for it to flash for a few seconds after the key is removed.

I don't know on the red key question. I'll try to dig mine out and try it later.

DO NOT try it... the manual clearly says if this key is put in, then it MIGHT lock out your regular key. I guess I was lucky and didn't lock me out. Thanks for the response, my paranoia is getting the best of me! :)

Last edited:
So more about this red key....does it deprogram your other keys or the complete system? I only got one key and the red key with my car and the original owner said he threw out the other key. If I drive my car to Acura, use the red key can I get them to re-program my car/keys with a "different" key code so the original one doesn't work anymore? I didn't get a manual with my car.

Yes, you got very lucky. I'm not sure how, but just be grateful that everything's working fine now.

The red key is the learning key and is used in the event that you need to have a new black key created. Use of a learning (red) key will, in just about every case, render the car immobile.

Until this post, it was my understanding that using the learning key in an attempt to start the car would immobilize it in every instance, but according to the OP, this isn't true. Good info for the rest of us!

I've had several people ask.... with the red key, I've seen gains of up to 90rwhp and 110 ft/lbs. It also turns off the speed limiter in the ECU.

Great for highway pulls. :wink:

Isn't technology wonderful ! :smile:

I have a '91. No red key!

But, I am interested is seeing what these "colored" keys look like.

Any pictures of these keys?

Ah man, John knows my red key secret. He found out that the tape deck also switches the two extra cylinders that are hidden back there into active mode as well.

Damn! All my secrets are getting out.

Whatever you guys do, DO NOT hit the code 6-4-4-2-5-1 on the radio and follow it with high beams, right turn signal, trunk release, climate control set to 82 while you have your wipers on. Trust me. DONT DO IT.

ol' skoolerz miss out!

theres a red key???
The pre-immobilizer NSX models ('91-'96) came w/ the following keys...

- (1) Monel key (a.k.a. "the titanium key" or 'unobotanium key')
- (2) black Acura keys w/ 'NSX' monogrammed in red
- (1) black Acura valet key

Re: ol' skoolerz miss out!

Glad this is getting back on topic. As many people are purchasing NSX's without user manuals, it's very important to know about this immobilizer key. My buddy just assumed it was the regular key. I knew otherwise as I looked it up in the manual. The previous owner did not mention anything about it.

Mine is still in the original packaging and I was yet to know what it was used for.

Good info... :cool:

Im still a little confused as to the purpose of the red key............but now from Osiris's post I see my car didnt come with one anyway. I have the other keys except the valet key..........is it still possible to get a valet key?

...is it still possible to get a valet key?
The valet key is just a regular Acura valet key w/ 'Acura' engraved on the black-rubber portion. They are more 'petite' than the plastic/rubber 'NSX' monogrammed key. I'm sure you can acquire an old(er) Acura valet key blank and get it cut.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing NSX-specific about it.

For future reference...

KEY, BLANK (VALET)(ACURA)
P/N: 35114-SL0-A01

The red key is used in conjunction with a chipped key. When you need a duplicate, you bring in the "red key" to your dealer and he can cut you a new one. With today's updted technology, I don't think this key is needed anymore. Once I confirm, my red key is going into the trash. You put in the "red key" in the ignition yourself, you potentially lock out the system and then you have to pay $500-1k to get things re-programmed. Hence, my concern that the red key was put in my ignition.

Im still a little confused as to the purpose of the red key............but now from Osiris's post I see my car didnt come with one anyway. I have the other keys except the valet key..........is it still possible to get a valet key?

Don't buy an owners manual guys. I'm your new best friend. Check it out here. You can pretty much get any owners manual you ever wanted.

On the lower left hand corner is an "owners manual" link. Click on that which takes you to the year. Click on the year and it takes you to the model. This is for Honda and Acura vehicles. From 1990 to 2009. Once you find the owner's manual that you want, you'll click on the "blue" parts to switch between all of the pages.

Back