• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Seven Biggest Mistakes when detailing your NSX

1. Using the wrong tools: I'm sure you've heard of "the right tool for the job" and detailing your NSX is no exception to the rule. For example, I see many people using the sponge/wash mitt you washed your car with to clean the wheels, instead of using a wheel brush; or using some old rag to remove wax off your paint instead of using a diaper/microfiber. These "shortcuts" not only affect the quality of your job, but will also cost you a lot of extra work later on. You ask how? Well, suppose that sponge you used on your wheels picked up some brake dust, which did not rinse out but then wound up scratching your hood the next time you washed your NSX. I can see you cringe by the way. How long would it take to polish that scratch out? Do you want to take that chance?

2. Not giving the chemicals enough time to work: This is called "dwell time." Many chemicals need time to work because their effectiveness is based on a chemical reaction, not a physical one (as in a compound). Some of the chemicals that fall into this category include tar removers (as well as other solvent based chemicals) and leather conditioners. How do you know how much time is enough? Read the directions (usually). Most often, the directions are accurate, but I have noticed that on some products the directions seem to have been written by a marketing or technical writer, rather than by someone who actually used them. This is another case where hurrying and taking off the chemical costs you more time in the end, because you have to reapply it again.

3. Not letting the chemical do the work: I've seen many people resort to using pressure, when the chemical they're using doesn't seem to work. For example, when they're washing their cars and the shampoo doesn't remove the spot, they press harder and harder on the sponge (probably scratching the paint) instead of realizing the shampoo was not made to remove that spot and maybe they should try a chemical that was. Remember that usually there is a correct chemical solution for every problem. If you don't know what that chemical is, you can PM me. But practicing on your NSX isn't the wise thing to do.

4. Not using window towels on windows: The #1 problem most of the people seem to have is getting windows truly clean. And while the cleaner you use is important, it still won't work properly without using the proper towel. Trust me on this one! I know; you're saying that you use newspaper (by the way, ever since they switched to water based ink on newspapers, all it will do is dirty your hands), paper towels or expensive disposable wipes you purchased from that pretty catalog. I'm telling you that I've tried them all and come back to these window microfiber suedes for only one reason; they work best. You want to have a set of window towels that are dedicated for that purpose only and nothing else. And make sure you wash them properly.

5. Using vinyl dressing on leather: One of the things that drives me absolutely nuts is the directions on vinyl dressings. They almost always say to use them on vinyl and leather. No, no, no! Think about it; have you seen any shiny cows walking around like they've been drinking Armor All®? This is one of those times when you should not follow the directions. Not only does the dressing make the leather shiny and slippery, but it also closes the pores in the leather. How the vinyl protectant manufacturers can get away with this amazes me. I've seen more than enough cars where ArmorAll® has been applied to leather seats and allowed to bake in the sun, thus ruining the leather beyond repair. I'm sure the manufacturers of the vinyl dressings know this, yet continue to include that in their directions in order to increase sales.

6. Listening to their neighbor/friend who details on the side: Now this is my personal favorite. Of all the six mistakes, this one is the most widespread. It seems that almost every other person I meet has a buddy who "details" (and is more than willing to share his vast arsenal of knowledge with you). But as one of my best customers (who is a dentist) said, "Just because you brush your teeth, it doesn't make you a dentist". I've seen people wash their car with a Brillo® pad because their neighbor Bob told them it would remove the road tar (well he was right, it did along with the clear coat) as well as other "Oops" maneuvers.

7. Getting advice from the internet chat rooms: This one I added recently due to the growing popularity of the internet. I now read the detailing chatroom threads every chance I get; not for educational purposes, but for pure entertainment. I’ve previously heard it said that “The internet is the biggest source of misinformation” and in this case I must say it’s true. I especially enjoy reading the “professional” forums; after all, these guys must know what they’re talking about. Ironically the top detailers in the country who I’ve had a chance to get to know over the years never contribute their knowledge to these chatrooms. I’ve found the advice on these forums to fall into (3) categories:

(1) The correct/best solution to the question or problem at hand.
(2) A mediocre/partial solution that although is not the best one will still not damage the car.
(3) A completely wrong solution that will not solve the problem and damage the car.

The problem in most cases is that you don’t know who is on the other side of the keyboard. I remember some time ago on one “Professional” chatroom there was one user who was very helpful answering every question posted and offering advice to everyone who had a challenge. This went on for about (2) months after which he posted “Just did my first paid detail”. My question is, what the heck was he doing for the previous months? Doing your mothers and uncle Tony’s car for free doesn’t qualify you to be a “Professional” detailer.

Well, there you go; a short list of lessons I have personally learned the hard way and hope you won't have to. May the wind be always at your back and may you achieve your pursuit of detailing perfection!

hey, white93nsx, I always have a pet peeve not to use car soap for washing cars, (which, if my personal time allows me, I washed my car whenever it's dirty)... I do have 3 sponges dedicated separtely for top half, bottom half and wheels. My personal experience is that if I wax the car frequent enough (2-4 times in a year?). My car can stay clean and shinny.

I had minor scratches from my car when you look into the paint closely, (of course It won't show on photographs, or 2 ft. away in person.;) ), but a lot of people I went to told me that without "professional buffing" it's unavoidable. True?? Or I should switch to better sponges / softer towels??

I have RainX in all my cars so cleaning windows are a breeze!! I usually had the completely dry towel for the windshield, then side mirrors then all the other windows.. but the time I finished the one at the back, my towel is wet enough, then I will rinse it then start going over the car, from top to upper half... door jam and lower half is usually going by a different towel... I don't dry it too often, cuz 95% of the time it got dirty right away, (Seattle weather)...

The reason I don't like to use car soap, 1. double the time and water usuage for rinsing those soap off. 2. afraid it "adheres" to the windshield.

BTW, I always spray the car first then go over with the 'correct' sponges with bucket of water then start drying with towel.

Please let me know if I need to change my habit...

Hi NSXDreamer2,

Look at the following:

Cleaning your wheels

Washing your car

which shows you the proper tools and techniques to avoid problems caused by improper washing methods.

Regarding your minor scratches, the way to remove them is by using either a compound, polish, pre-cleaner (aggressive to least aggressive respectively, you should go with least aggressive and if it doesn't work, go more aggressive). If you are confortable doing it yourself, then that is the route and if not, employ a professional. The washing techniques above will help you prevent causing more scratches, swirl marks or spider webbing while your are doing your maintenance washes. You'll get what I mean when you read them.

Regarding why you don't use car soaps, read the Washing your Car. By the way, what soap if any do you use to wash your car? I'm curious.

Hope that helps.

Back